What Comic Exceeded Your Expectations?

Mark Russell is a goddamned (am I allowed to say that on here?) genius, hands down.

2 Likes

Batman Knightfall, everyone that I heard before I read it said it was redilicious and not a good read comparing it to the likes of Spider man Clone Saga. But reading Knightfall, it is great and is what got me into more DC comics, where majority what I was reading was Marvel at the time.

6 Likes

I would say many of the arcs I’ve read in the New 52 Batman. I recently finished both Batman Eternal and Endgame and they both surprised me with how good they are. I was a little hesitant on both of them and really only started them because I’m a completionist making my way through the New 52. BEFORE I read them, Eternal just seemed like it would be a long, drawn out story with no significance, and with Endgame I was thinking “the Joker comes back AGAIN… he was just back.” But boy was I surprised! I couldn’t put either of them down. Endgame in particular. That is now on my list of favorite storylines.

3 Likes

I think Knightquest is a little disjointed and overextended, but it’s fairly readable and Knightfall and KnightsEnd are both fantastic. A lot of the criticism seems to come from people who missed that Jean-Paul was never supposed to be permanent, which seems confusing to me in hindsight given that all of his stories were billed as part of a single arc.

3 Likes

Literally just started it tonight. Was hooked instantly.

2 Likes

Order just in case for Planetary.
Planetary (99’) #1-#10.
Planetary/Authority : Ruling the World #1.
Planetary #11-15.
Planetary/JLA: Terra Occulta #1 (2002).
Planetary/The Batman:Night on Earth #1 (2003).
Planetary #16-#27.

2 Likes

Not a fan at all…

Really? Well, I suppose you’re entitled to your own opinions. His work definitely… comes on strong. I’m interested, though. What don’t you like about his comics?

Of the stories I have read, I would say that A Lonely Place of Dying was one that surprised me. I was disappointed by A Death in the Family and wasn’t really looking forward to some of the upcoming material, but I was surprised when I read it. So much better then other, It clearly has a lot of heart put into it and care for Batman. Plus it has Tim Drake as Robin for the first time.

2 Likes

I seen @TurokSonOfStone1950 post about Global Frequency and wasn’t sure how much I had read back in the day. I start in on #1 got to #6 before I had to go to work. Finished the run at work. Great read I’d recommend it

3 Likes

I would have to say, the old prestige format mini “The Golden Age” I think by James Robinson. Intelligent and emotional, it really got me into the Golden Age characters. Later, Geoff Johns would deepen my love for the characters with his JSA run.
And now they’re starting to appear in live-action!

3 Likes

All Star Western
Team 7

The New 52 runs, neither were genres I usually like but they became must haves on my pull list

1 Like

DCeased

Like, I’m bitter about Nightwing, but I thought the story was really well done, and I was hooked the entire time. I’m a huge fan of zombie stories and DC Comics so this was the perfect combination for me.

Once this quarantine is over, I’m heading out and getting DCeased: Unkillables.

2 Likes

Wonder Twins, big time! That was an amazing read!

2 Likes

Just started reading KnightFall for the first time and I really love it.

2 Likes

I know this ain’t DC comic but Superior Spider man. After hearing spider man dead and 700 and Otto took over is body, I was going to give one issue to the series and then stop from there. But then Dan Slott surprised me with one of my favorite spider man stories of all time and I bought every issue.

1 Like

i’ve said it a million times and i’ll say it once more, i loved DCeased a lot more than i thought i ever would

2 Likes