What Comic Exceeded Your Expectations?

I also have to go with Planetary. I was drawn to the book by the pastiches of comics, sci-fi and literary characters. I came for the pastiche but I stayed for the incredible story Ellis and Cassiday told. You’ll see fun nods to things as the issues go on, but secretly in the background, you’re getting clues on a bigger picture. And once the reveal of the Fourth Man sets in, you are hooked.

I will say I’m envious of new readers who can get the complete series immediately. If you were picking up the book when it was released, those delays were killer (in a couple of instances almost a year between issues). If you were to jump in now, you could read the whole thing straight through in beautiful digital color.

If you haven’t read it yet, I HIGHLY recommend it!

3 Likes

The Hill House imprint comics have all been tremendous. From Basketful of Heads, The Dollhouse Family, Daphne Byrne, The Low, Low Woods, to Plunge they are all fantastic.

2 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950 @superby1 @Stray_Bullets @Kon-El It’s ironic that you guys all say Planetary, I had a friend lend me the first two volumes a couple days ago after I told I hadn’t heard of it and I finished them immediately. Such a great concept and even better execution. I can’t wait to get further into it.

3 Likes

The original Wolfman and Perez The New Teen Titans. I know some people think it’s too wordy, but I went in expecting cheese and wound up finding it really moving.

6 Likes

I totally agree and love Titans.

Older comics were wordy, right? They had to be due to the technological limitations of the art maybe. I think sometimes New Teen Titans overwhelms readers who’re unfamiliar with it. Perez really did start pushing his art on the title. It had the first truly “modern” art I can remember on a monthly DC title (I hear people say similar things about X-Men at the time). Crazy detail like that requires more attention. It also had silver/bronze age writing because no artist had been quite that advanced before, so they were figuring it out as they worked.

That’s my assessment anyway. One of the most important titles ever in my opinion. :+1:

3 Likes

:point_up_2: everything he said

1 Like

Camelot 3000: I thought it was a cool idea, but it is so all encompassing. It was amazing. Much better than I thought it would be.

Sinestro Corps War and pretty much all of Johns GL stuff. It was a fully fleshed out galaxy. The primary characters all had solid arcs. It was very complete and specific. I kinda think of it as the GL equivalent of Kirby’s 4th world. It was impressive and much more than I was expecting.

Power Girl: It was just fun. I loved how they used her costume and cleavage and leaned into the humor of it. “I just saved your life, and hey…my eyes are up here” It dealt with sexism issues without being preachy. Also, it really focuses in on the “stranger in a strange world, searching for who am I.” A topic often attributed to Superman or Supergirl but it works so much better for Power Girl. It was quite the pleasant surprise.

4 Likes

You talking about the Amanda Conner PG? I loved it! I haven’t thought about it in a while. Good call!

3 Likes

Yep. That’s the one.

4 Likes

Some of the surprises you have coming your way…oh, I envy you!

Also there are three specials: Planetary/Authority: Ruling the World, Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth and an elseworlds story called Planetary/JLA: Terra Occulta. Those are all here in the comics section along with the entire series.

3 Likes

At the moment, the Wonder Comics line is really going above what I was expecting. I’m not a huge fan of the Young Justice book, but Naomi, Wonder Twins, and Dial H are all really great.

I can also go the other direction. I’d heard Zero Hour was a convoluted mess, but it exceeded my expectations by being even worse than I imagined it could be. It’s practically unreadable.

4 Likes

Some of the tie-in issues are fun, at least.

5 Likes

It did give us Starman.

3 Likes

Diiiiiddd someone say Starman? lol

2 Likes

No matter how objectively bad Zero Hour is, no one can take away the fact that it gave us one of the greatest superhero runs of all time.

3 Likes

Agreed!

2 Likes

Two books, one at the twilight of the Silver Age, and one at the dawn of the Bronze Age shook me out of my super-hero “doldrums”. They introduced me to mystery and horror and expanded my comics reading pleasure for all time. They far exceeded any expectations I had at the time for my “four-color” preferences. These two books were–of course–The Phantom Stranger and The Swamp Thing. Both were masterfully recounted by Len Wein and majestically rendered by Jim Aparo and Bernie Wrightson. At a time when super-heroes were on the wan, these two tomes scratched and clawed from out of the darkness and cast a much-needed cloak of fear and dread upon the bright, pat palette of the current DC Universe. Two of the greatest comics DC ever produced.

3 Likes

I am in love with the Wonder Twins run. It’s the only comic series my sister has bought monthly.

2 Likes

THERE’S A BATMAN TIE IN?! Be still my heart.

Oh and @Kon-El that Titans and X-Men art would be good ol’ George Perez. He was really changing the game in that era.

3 Likes

@Hinesypoo Not only is there a Batman tie-in, but it is hilarious sometimes! :slight_smile:

3 Likes