What Are Your Favorite Father Figure Stories in the DC Universe?

This year for Father’s Day, we want to hear your favorite tales of father figures setting examples for their protégé- whether that be the outstanding stalwarts of good deeds, like Pa Kent, or perhaps cautionary tales of what not to do, like our misguided Trigon.

We’ll be taking your suggestions and creating a master list right here, so keep checking back! You’ll be sure to find something to share with the father figure in your own life:superhero:

BATMAN

DEATHSTROKE

DARKSEID

Hourman

Jim Gordon

Matu Ba

• Batwing (#1 - #19) by Judd Winick, Ben Oliver, Chris Cross, Dustin Nguyen, Marcus To, Fabian Nicieza, Fabrizio Florentino, Allan Jefferson, Jimmy Palmiotti & Eduardo Pansica.

Midnighter & Apollo

SUPERMAN

TRIGON

Zatara

What stories would you add?
Ra’s al Ghul?
Jim Gordon?
Alfred Pennyworth?

Let us know what pulls your paternal heartstrings in the comments below! :point_down:

15 Likes

I love Priestroke intensely, but he’s DEFINITELY a cautionary tale. :slight_smile:

13 Likes
17 Likes

All-Star Superman #6 is incredible.

12 Likes

Believe it or not, one of the best dad stories is being told right now in DC’s JOKER. Despite the title, the comic’s main focal character is really Jim Gordon, and a lot of it is about his complex relationship with his daughter. Highly recommended.

18 Likes

Midnighter and Apollo are great dads to Jenny in the authority

12 Likes

Batwing — Issues 1-19

Matu and David Zavimbe

9 Likes

Oh, hands down… mine would be Superman Rebirth #28. It’s part of a storyline where Superman takes his family on a vacation tour around to see all of the important locations of our Nation’s freedom.
I think it is some of the best “dad-work” that Supes has ever done.
If you have not read it yet, I highly recommend this series. :100: :sunglasses: :+1:

10 Likes

Never put your family in harm’s way

Tale of the teen titans #44

10 Likes

An excellent, excellent recommendation!

9 Likes

I’d go the Search For Zatara. A true sacrifice for his daughter. Or, even JLD #28 where he sacrificed himself to save Constantine. I was gonna suggest the storyline where he burns in a Seance to save magic in the house of mystery. But, I’m blanking on the title?

8 Likes

Im not sure, haven’t read a whole lot of that kind of stuff but I really liked this one:

From batman and robin in the new 52. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd one I’ll have to check.

11 Likes

In The Batman Adventures #12, Barbara and Commissioner Gordon had a nice father and daughter moment. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I don’t have a classic example, but Phillip Kennedy Johnson’s run on SUPERMAN & ACTION has been a great fatherly tale.

He really gets to the heart of who Clark is and how grateful he is for the life he has had.

That’s all I have for now, but really excited to check out some of these recommendations.

ALL-STAR SUPERMAN is a great run!

6 Likes

Batman and Robin is one of my absolute favorite collections and will forever touch my heart.

5 Likes

A lot on here. Definitely Deathstroke rebirth was great.
Superman Rebirth as well.

I may say Detective Rebirth and The outsiders had some great Bat Dad moments and nice ones from Black Lightning in there too

4 Likes

Pretty much all of Superman Rebirth by Tomasi and Gleason.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Lots of good picks so far, but I’m gonna go with JSA 65-66. A great two-parter for Hourman fans!

6 Likes

I don’t think I could pick the best Dad let alone best Dad moment

5 Likes