What Are Your 2023 DC Comic Predictions?

Unless something really breaks out in the direct market, I doubt we are going to get any new titles that go beyond 12/18 issues. And, as I’ve said elsewhere, including other sites, the mini-series, maxi-series and limited series of the past two years seem to be the prevalent - although hopefully editorial will stop with these 4 issues minis that seem to simply be incomplete bridges between one series and another (such as with Titans Academy and Shazam); that type of behavior will likely only irritate the exact same new readers that they are trying to bring in with these new initiatives.

I think we will see even more non-direct market specific books, that aren’t collections of LCS material, to compete with the very popular book market that Schoolastic has to itself up until about three years ago. And even it comes from the DC brand and it perhaps tangentially features elements of DC (think Whistle), it won’t be part of the mainline DCU. And that’s not a bad think.

I’ve been a bit divorced from the mainline monthly books so I am not going to offer any specific predictions - but I will offer three more general ones: (a) DC will be publishing direct market books for the LCS in 2030 and DC will still be one of the largest contributors/publishers in the LCS direct market; (b) digital sales will become more and more part of the publishing of sequential art material by 2030 than is apparent today; and finally (c) there will be further consolidation in the direct market over the next year or two.

1 Like
3 Likes

I feel like World’s Finest is the only title launched this year that will last for a long while

3 Likes

I used to think that, but Waid seems to be working on so many projects I think he will leave, and they will just end it then.

2 Likes

I think worlds finest will keep going in 2023 its one of there best sellers so I think they will keep it going with out him if they need to
I hope for a redhood batman comic I like when they spend time together
I also want a batfamily comic as for cancelled comics batgirls and tim are most likely

1 Like

It’s literally just Shazam and World’s Finest as the only ongoings he’s doing. Add in that Black Label Superman story that his doing with Bryan Hitch, the bulk of which is probably written if not all of it is.

3 Likes

Wait, Bryan Hitch is drawing Superman.

2 Likes

It hasn’t been officially revealed but yeah, it’s a thing. It’s not a secret or anything

2 Likes

A rogues ongoing series would be nice.

I picture it being a combination of The Boys and famous heist films like Heat or The Killing.

2 Likes

Mr. Carter’s Latest Opus™ had 29 issues of high-flying adventure. It would have been great to see it go to 30, so as to end on an even-number, at least.

Oh, well. Its still the best Hawkman book of the modern era, odd-numbered ending or otherwise.

My 2023 predictions:

The Superman line will continue to kick ass and…Yara Flor will get a new solo gig. Maybe a mini, maybe an ongoing (would prefer the latter, but I think the former has a more realistic chance of seeing the light of day at this time), but either way, I’ll support any solo gig of hers as it drops at retail.

4 Likes

Sadly Jon wouldn’t be de-aged in 2023

3 Likes

They had a Black Label book

2 Likes

Fine by me, as I never minded his age increase to begin with.

2 Likes

My bad! I even collected the last trade of his run in single issues, so I should know better! Such an excellent, excellent run.

I predict he will not get a new solo in 2023, though, sadly.

I do think Superman 78 Season 2 will come out in 2023, though!

3 Likes

It was pointless because it made him about the same age as Connor and it also was what they did with Chris Kent.

Let the readers see Jon Kent grow up naturally and not some aged up BS.

2 Likes

It was, it really was.

I enjoyed Johns’ Hawkman a ton, and you would think that since I’m traditionally a mark for Johns, I’d have his Hawkman as my #1, but nope, Venditti FTW.

Being that next year is Superman: The Movie’s 45th anniversary and Superman’s 85th anniversary, the timing for the follow-up would be particularly perfect, so that it can commemorate both anniversaries.

2 Likes

Maybe justice league will be back again some day.
1982 January Justice League by Yanick Paquette

2 Likes

In 2 or 3 years

3 Likes

Honestly I imagine just late November or early December announcement with a new book in January or March.

Mark Waid would write it but I’ll be surprised if it’s someone else.

1 Like

Hopefully, they will stop saying no justice league in interviews soon.
1984 October Justice League by Chuck Patton

3 Likes