What Are Your 2023 DC Comic Predictions?

What books will launch?
What books will get cancalled?
What books will get a new creative team?

I think that Batgirls, Tim Drake: Robin and Batman Inc will end in 2023

4 Likes

My guess is the Dawn strategy is promoting more solo titles so looks like there might be no justice league title for whole of 2023. Nightwing title seems to be converted into a Titans title with the Titans set in Bludhaven. 1 of the Dark Crisis variant covers has the Titans and many Nightwing covers have the Titans. Based on the Dark Crisis team, my guess is both kara zor-el and jon kent are in Titans. Based on the Nightwing 100 cover, looks like any hero is welcome to go to Bludhaven and join the Titans ala Justice League Unlimited.
I noticed that some female heroines are switching to pants. I saw the new DC studios logo and looks like the wonder woman skirt is gone so maybe Wonder Woman has also switched to pants which was the tv design and the original New 52 reboot design. Cheetah already got pants so my guess is Gorilla Grodd will also get pants. I also noticed the green lantern seems to be John Stewart so that might explain why we are getting a John Stewart title soon.
Based on the DC studios logo and the Dark Crisis 7 variant covers, looks like we are getting an Aquaman title.
Alfred is on the Brave And The Bold cover so looks like Alfred is back from the dead after Batman vs Robin or after Lazarus Planet.
The event after Lazarus Planet is maybe Knight Trap or Knight Terminators depending on what Amanda Waller prefers to do.
Power Girl is heavily promoted in variant covers so maybe a Power Girl title is coming. My guess is there will be a solo Barry Allen title. maybe helena bertinelli title.
Looks like both movies and comics are getting some inspiration from the Young Justice cartoons so can probably expect solo titles for Zatanna, Firestorm, black lighting, Captain Atom, plastic man, martian manhunter. Lazarus Planet is introducing several brand new characters so some of these will probably get solo titles. Many of the lazarus planet anthology stories will probably lead to new titles. Geoff Johns has mentioned the legion a few times.

2 Likes

I think you’re unfortunately right about Batgirls (I want it to last for at minimum 24 issues - I just want it to get to 2 years!). I hope for better with Batman Inc. And I hope you’re right on Tim Drake…either a cancellation, or a completely new creative team - writer and artist (though maybe Ortiz will be good for the title - I’ll hold off on there).

We know some titles will be launching already with the Dawn of DC. Other books I’d like to see:

Of course, I’d love to see the Manhunter: Secret Origin miniseries back. I doubt it, but I’d like it.

I think we will probably see an Aquaman book at some point, perhaps timed to go out with the movie. Similarly, I think we might see a new Blue Beetle book spin out of the miniseries when the movie comes out.

I’m really bad at predicting, especially since I don’t have a handle on the people who are currently on top usually work (Zdarsky, Abernathy, etc). I do have a strong feeling that there will be a Batman crossover called Knight Time, including Batman, most likely Tec, Catwoman, and maybe some more titles, in the summer.

I also really, really hope that Howard leaves Catwoman soon.

5 Likes

With the Next Batman, Son of Kal-El, and Future State: Gotham ending on issue 18. My gut has a feeling that Batgirls will end with 18

2 Likes

I think that Tom Taylor is going to write it for some reason

2 Likes

I fear you’re right, but I really just want 24 issues.

I’m pretty sure Taylor’s next project is Titans.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Batgirls biggest hope for a extended run was that movie that never came to be. A shame really.

I would totally love that. I dislike event leviathan because it seems like a interesting concept that was really wasted by Bendis but I thought it was cool how he brought back the Manhunters in prominence for a short while

Manhunters would be great to see again and perhaps even connect the Manhunters with the Manhunters of Mars. It barely connected in the pre-flashpoint days but I wish we got a more coherent connection.

1 Like

I don’t think 24 is really that extended. Hawkman got 27, after all! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would love to see more John Ridley books.

I think what DC comics does better than Marvel is telling more culturally relevant topics and social issues that John Ridley loves discussing in his books. These timeless characters are able to be handled in a way that brings up their relevance in a comic book setting but a grounded way.

While I don’t necessarily love I Am Batman, I really did enjoyed Other History Of The DC Universe and think GCCP:Blue Wall will be a fantastic successor to Gotham Central. I would love to see him tackle a outsiders series and just totally my dream project, but I would also like him to work on a Batwing book in the future.

2 Likes

More Justice Society comics and Justice Society members solo comics.

4 Likes

I have to admit - I really don’t enjoy any of the Ridley books I’ve read. This last issue of I Am Batman just sent me through the roof with how frustrated I was. I would really, really love an Outsiders book from Brandon Thomas, though - the stories he’s been doing in various places for the Outsiders have been FANTASTIC.

3 Likes

I just wonder how well the Golden Age is selling

2 Likes

I am in it so obviously great.

3 Likes

New title for the 1976 january original and real Outsiders by Jerry Grandenetti:

1 Like

Safe Bet: Lots more Doom Patrol. They’ve been showing up more in comics and merchandise, and I expect that to continue, not just in their own series. They’ll almost certainly pop up again in World’s Finest but I bet we’ll see them team up with more people, and make regular appearances in the seasonal anthology issues.

Not so safe bet: by the end of 2023 both Tim Drake and Damian Wayne will take new codenames. Both of them have been getting solo focus that is trying to move their characters in a new direction, and I think there’s a very real chance they’ll both move on from the Robin mantle.

2 Likes

We’re gonna get a monster mash team up book with these guys.

1 Like

Doom Patrol is getting a miniseries in march

3 Likes

It’s funny because I would the same thing about Brandon Thomas. I’ll try not be too catty about it, but I don’t think I like much of what he worked on, especially as of late. Did not care for Aquamen, Deep Target, and that odd one he did for a world without justice. But I think what frustrated me the most was Hardware: Season 1.
I was a huge fan of the original and I was so happy I got into it just when a year later they announced the reboot. I initially defended that series but now… Well, I’m just glad that Reginald Hudln is going to feature hardware in a prominent role in that crossover event with Icon.

He wrote only a short few scenes with him in Milestone Returns but I personally feel more liking of him there than in Thomas entire run

Anyway, I promised that I wouldn’t be to catty so I’ll say that I really did enjoy Aquaman: The becoming and yeah you’re totally right, his outsiders stories have been great. I think Signal grew to become one of my favorite characters because of Thomas

1 Like

My prediction is more that they’ll appear more in other comics- guest appearances, anthologies, and probably in whatever the big summer event ends up being. I also think it’s likely they might get another miniseries once the one starting in march ends.
We’ve also seen solicits that they’re reprinting some of the Gerard Way Doom Patrol stuff. I think we might see omnibuses for other Doom Patrol runs throughout the year.

2 Likes

I haven’t read any of the stories you mention, so it’s quite possible I wouldn’t like them either. But I really, really loved his Outsiders work, and think he would make it a killer ongoing or mini.

2 Likes