What are you reading for Halloween?

I for one am awaiting on my copy of Secrets of Sinister House to arrive in celebration of Halloween, along with the rest of my pulls. I also just read Batman vs Dracula for the first time on DCU recently, what are you guys reading to get into the spooky time of year?

5 Likes

Idk but I am open to suggestions I thought about the killing joke frfr

4 Likes

I have been buying the #dceased-2019 line but i have only read issue #1 and im looking foward to reading them all when the 6th and final issue comes out on the 30th

1 Like

I know this isn’t a comic, but I’m reading The Hellbound Heart, the book Hellraiser was based on. I’m also slowly making my way through the Hellblazer series.

5 Likes

Just started Blackest Night on DCU. I’m only a couple issues in to the arc and the first couple issues Tales Of The Corps while helpful just aren’t really great to me. They just serve to bring everyone up to speed on all the various Lantern incarnations out there, which I needed, cause I’ve never been a huge GL fan, but they’re more textbook than story to me. Anyway I look forward to getting into the flesh of the story so to speak.

Non-comics related I just grabbed Joyce Carol Oates kindle single The Sign of the Beast on KU for a little psychological chill. Just started but Oates is a fantastic author and can be deviously creepy I’m looking forward to this short read.

Anyone read either of the the Victorian Undead series? Never heard of them before, but I just added them to the top of my To Read list on DCU here.

5 Likes

The Legends of the Dark Knight halloween specials, and the Kelley Jones Deadman stuff.

3 Likes

Clive Barker is such an amazing author. His earlier works like The Hellbound Heart and The Books of Blood are a lot more raw than his later work but so good.

2 Likes

The Killing Joke is always great. If you like Batman, The Long Halloween is another great story especially this time of year. Of course as the OP mentioned the Batman/Dracula books are a good choice too.

If you don’t mind leaving DC for a bit Locke & Key is a great creepy series written by Joe Hill.

4 Likes

I didn’t know it was based on a book! Maybe I’ll pick up both sometime haha

1 Like

Seconded! Long Halloween is GREAT

2 Likes

I started reading darkest night recently as well, and I’m sad to say I got really bored of it… Funnily enough I really enjoyed some of the tales of the corps stories tho!

1 Like

I did a reread of Long Halloween a little earlier in the year, so I may not revisit that again so soon. But I do have the other Loeb/ Sale Batman works collected so maybe I’ll be rereading Haunted Knight (all of those Halloween specials they did) and Dark Victory, and maybe even Catwoman: When In Rome!

On a non DC related horror note, I’ve been reading Ice Cream Man monthly and it’s one of my favorites to pick up each month. Gideon Falls as well.

3 Likes

I usually try and read Blackest Night along with all the side series early in the month. The Halloween specials from 2007-2010 are always fun.

3 Likes

I’m finishing up Lock & Key. I think Netflix got the rights to produce a TV show.

1 Like

I know it’s pretty old now but I just finished reading the Long Halloween series and really enjoyed it from start to finish!!

4 Likes

I’m probably gonna dive into the Long Halloween

5 Likes

I’ll be reading this for a few days.

3 Likes

Batman/Dracula books for DC.

The Woods by James Tynion IV for a non-DC graphic novel.

And The October Country and The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury are my must-do annual Halloween book reads.

3 Likes

“The same thing I did for New Year’s, my laundry.” - Harvey Bullock.
Oh, wait. Wrong question. Same as normal.

Saga of the Swamp Thing. Alan Moore is such an amazing writer. Classic story

3 Likes