What are some of the most powerful underrated DC villains?

What are some of the most powerful underrated DC villains?

1 Like

Dr. Psycho and Hector Hammond both come to mind. They’re both capable of some truly horrible things.

2 Likes

Poison Ivy anyone? I feel like she’s always had the ability to just cover Gotham in plants and bring the city to a ruin. She really could be the focus of a big Batman event, but she’s always been kind of a side character.

5 Likes

In honor of @TheLegendKillerX

That ol’ badass The Condiment King!

5 Likes

Bwana Beast.

2 Likes

@YoYoFroYo

Don’t forget she enslaved the entire world in the newer Batman comics.

2 Likes

Bwana Beast isnt a villian… Is he???

2 Likes

Planet Master. Seriously, the dude has powers based on the planets: the speed of Mercury, the rings of Saturn, the strength of Jupiter… even non-planets like the heat of the Sun and the cold of Pluto.

3 Likes

@jtrebleclef
Oh, that would be something I didn’t know about then. I’m still newer to comics, so I have a lot of gaps in my Dc knowledge.

1 Like

Speaking of Planet Master, what else has he appeared in?

He was in Superman Giant #11, but I don’t remember seeing him in any other books offhand.

1 Like

Condiment king is too underrated

6 Likes

Planet Master was in a Batman issue or two, and had an extended cameo in an episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold

2 Likes

I feel Metallo is a formidable yet underrated Superman villain.

3 Likes

Dr Light. He is vile and dangerous.

2 Likes

When I was a kid, I only knew Dr. Light from the Teen Titans cartoon, in which he was a pathetic loser who could never even come close to being a real threat.

Then I actually read some of his stories in the comics and found out what he was actually getting up to… especially what he did to poor Sue Dibny…

Yeah, dude’s a monster plain and simple.

3 Likes

As of Identity Crisis, Dr. Light is certainly depraved, but he’s never been all that powerful or competent compared to even low-tier villains. He went from B-lister (and that’s being generous - he certainly took on some powerful heroes, but was never that important of a villain) to bumbler (In the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans run, he was just not very good at his job, but once John Ostrander used him for comic relief in Suicide Squad, it was all over) to bumbling rapist (he’s done some sick things since Identity Crisis, but nothing all that impressive, and costumed-types tend to trounce him quite handily).

One who springs to mind for me is Wade Eiling. In the Cary Bates/Greg Weisman Captain Atom series, he’s devious, brilliant, and totally ruthless, but the reader is allowed to get into his head enough to at least understand and maybe almost respect why he does what he does. Later comics and adaptions tend to use him as kind of a gung-ho idiot who serves as a generic Shady Military Dude, which feels like kind of a waste.

As for raw superpoweredness, the Justice League animated series was one of the first and only sources to really think through how dangerous something like Amazo could be, and it made for some of the better episodes of the series.

2 Likes

Excellent question, TurtleShell1503 since this is the Year of the Villain. I’d say Probably Psycho-Pirate or Gentleman Ghost.

Great villainous reads to check out: Villains United, Forever Evil, and Secret Six

1 Like

^^ great choices. Secret Six was phenominal

1 Like

Dark Opal.

1 Like

Hector Hammond and Planet Master