Watching Justice League: New Frontiers

Welcome back to Movie Reviews With Bookworm, the show where I, @bookwormfitzpatrick.91230 watch DC movies and tell you if I like them. I am a huge sucker for vintage aesthetics and I love Neil Patrick Harris so who I am kidding I’m gonna have a great time

5 Likes

Oh my god this is really good and interesting

2 Likes

this is some top notch Hal Jordaning right here

4 Likes

He is the best character in the movie.

3 Likes

I will take to my grave the fact that this comic book would make the best origin story to adapt for either J’onn or Hal and it’s a shame they didn’t take more of this for Hal, and decided to make it a modern setting for the Ryan Reynold movie, or even the animated adaptation.

And as a total non-sequitur, you do know there’s a specific forum for movies and tv? Movies & TV - DC Community

5 Likes

who the hell does nph voice in that movie??? i know i’ve seen that movie at some point

2 Likes

wait WHAt

4 Likes

Yeah he did really well I kinda forgot it was him. His voice fits

2 Likes

In case you don’t know, he also voiced Nightwing in Batman: Under the Red Hood.

3 Likes

I did know that one

2 Likes

I mean, I could tell it was Barnubus Stinson the minute Barry opened him mouth to sweet talk Iris.

1 Like

I want to mention that I think this movie really delves into aspects of Hal’s character that don’t get explored much. Namely, his softer side, the pacifism and compassion that’s at the heart of his character. This Hal Jordan’s not a swaggering macho military man, he’s an adrenaline junkie that wants to see the stars

2 Likes

I don’t know if Hal would work. I mean…The Korean War? This is a war also known as The Forgotten War. It holds none of the glory of WWII or the controversy of the war in Vietnam. Personally, I do not think the Korean War is too hard to understand, but then again I was a history major, lol. But I think you’d have to provide lots of context and background on the Korean War in a film since it’s not as well-known and studied among the general audience. They got away with it her given we have several other stories to cover, not just Hal’s.

OR

Do we do the same thing more or less, but modernize it and instead it’s Hal in Iraq, Afghanistan or something??? Which personally, I don’t have a problem with. But people get so bent out of shape with and about ‘politics’ in film, especially superheroes and comic books. Cap fighting Nazis? A-OK! A black female mayor in The Batman? Oh no, can’t have that, lol.

And generally, I am NOT a Hal fan BUT yes I do appreciate this origin for Hal and characterization overall.

The Martian Manhunter one is good too. I think I prefer him being the last Martian, I dunno. Could one maybe combine these two? I dunno. But yeah I love him as the detective early in the film. Plus, I love what Superman says to Faraday about him in regards to his xenophobia. And the scene after of them playing chess - chef’s kiss!

1 Like

I agree that the Korean War isn’t ideal. I would have incorporated it as a WWII story, or something totally made up, versus from actual history. Sadly, people have complicated feelings abut Vietnam and even more so Afghanistan and Iraq as well.

But for J’onn, yes I think this is a particularly good origin. They could still incorporate something like this as part of one of the Tomorrowverse movies as they really haven’t done much with J’onn, albeit I was not fond with him being so innately talented with Kryptonian technology as in Men of Tomorrow.

1 Like