Want to write a Harley Quinn fanfic, how should I share it?

I want to write a Harley Quinn fanfic. I wrote a screenplay, but I want to try a regular fanfic. Something brief.

Do DCU members use fanfiction.net? Or should I post directly on this board?

2 Likes

You can post it here under the Fan-Creations tag! Just be careful of the character count limit. Posts max out at 7,000, and you can only post 5 times in a row.

3 Likes

You can do several things: 1. what @HubCityQuestion just said. 2. you can link it, just be careful. We have users on many platforms (work/school wifi, or work/parents phone, restricted wifi), so try to use a clean site. and 3, you could get it published, and then give us the link to Amazon. Trust me, it isn’t as hard as it would seem AND copyright law is something that you can not get in trouble with by doing certain things.
I would vote option 3. But then again, I would also vote options 1 and 2! :wink:

2 Likes

Publication is going to very much not be an option. WB’s policy towards fan creations is that they don’t enforce against anything that’s “By fans, for fans, for fun.” If you publish it, it’s going to be for profit.

I think the mods might frown on fanfiction.net but I don’t know for certain. It’s just that any content we put directly on here is licensed to WB so it’s safer for them to be OK with that than linking to a third-party archive.

I don’t think it would be a problem, but you’d be safer to post directly on here.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I’m trying to keep it very short, so I think I’ll just post it directly in this community without links. Just copy and past the body on the post. I think I can do it under 35,000 characters (5 separate posts of 7,000 characters).

Thank you for the suggestions. If publication was an option, that would have been awesome. But I understand the IP copyright stuff. Or else I’d have a book of Silent Hill fan-fiction.

3 Likes

I use fan fiction.net even tried to write a story on there. But personally I would post it there and on here if you want to reach a big audience. Anf I definitely want to read it. But @JeepersItsTheJamags does have a point.

3 Likes

I intrigued as to how you know that.

2 Likes

So it wont surprise people that I use DCU itself to post a fanfic series. I just do it in installments of independent posts each labeled as what chapter it is. IE Hard Hitterz #2: Avoiding suspicion. And before that I had various Hard Hitterz Prelude: titles. All the same story arc but all released separately as posts.

2 Likes

Well, my uncle and grandfather are both lawyers. I used to want to do that also.
Making a book and getting it published really isn’t superhard.
Copyright law is tricky, but you can A bend the rules B figure out how to get approved use of characters or C sell it as a book for free, and only charge shipping.
Or, I did miss option four, crete it in a doc or PDF and share it with us.

2 Likes

My uncle is a patent lawyer.

2 Likes

My uncle is criminal law. But he does do a little bit of civil cases. My grandfather did a lot of patent and intellectual property stuff.
TBH, I don’t know the specifics, only anecdotes from them like: “you can always bend the law to your satisfaction”, “if you commit a crime, at least don’t get caught in the act”, and, my all time fave, “you’re lucky you’re whits. A person of color wouldn’t get away with half the crap you pull.”

2 Likes