Villain's are better

Not sure why but I’ve always been more attracted to villains over heroes. Villain’s just seem more realistic to me, cause man kind is such a petty and disastrous race. A good villain is always more exciting to me, anyone else concur?

4 Likes

Villains are the heroes of their own story. If you haven’t seen it, I’d suggest watching “Necessary Evil”. A look at villainy using the DC villains as points for discussion. It’s really quite excellent and insightful into the entire premise of villainy. (And narrated by Christopher Lee :+1:)

3 Likes

“Some people just want to watch the world born, they don’t need a reason”

2 Likes

@desade yea I’ve seen it. Villains just seem more dedicated and passionate, even though some are whacked out, i appreciate the effort. Thats why i love lex, he goes to extraordinary lengths to keep up with supes.

Anti Heroes are the best in my opinion. Most relatable

3 Likes

@Lexcorp
Villains are (and arguably should be) more interesting than the hero. In comics, while futile, I often cheer for the villain to win. Ok, they probably won’t, but if they do, it throws the world into disarray and I like a bit of chaos.

4 Likes

@desade i agree 100%

2 Likes

@Redhood.55520, I would agree.

1 Like

That being said, I do like Atrocitus a lot. He’s just really cool in my opinion.

1 Like

6 weeks later and villain’s still rule.

I think it depends on the villain, but I do always enjoy it when the villains win and I love it when the villain is a protagonist. Also, when a villain is more complicated than merely evil, it’s usually easier to sympathize with them and cheer for them. However, sometimes it feels forced and boring (like Thanos in the MCU compared to the comics).

Watchmen is my favorite example of a villain winning.

DC villains are usually more interesting than DC’s heroes. It’s why I’m drawn to them more than heroes but I do love my girl power heroes.

2 Likes

Speaking of villains…

Mark Strong makes a better Sinestro. Change my mind lol.

1 Like

@gibbyhertz
Have you ever seen the doco “Necessary Evil”? If not, check it out. A great dissection of villainy, using DC villains.

It makes the most valid of points about villains, that they are the protagonists of the story. They should be more interesting than the hero.

1 Like

Mark strong is a great sinestro, sad they ended it the way they did.

1 Like

His Dr Sivana wasn’t bad either

1 Like

Arkham really does have a high number of PHD’ per inmate.

Thats so true lol i never thought of that.

“Every great hero needs a great villain.”

I dunno who came up with the quote, but I consider it wise words to live by.

2 Likes

I do love villains! I suppose, for me, it’s because there’s an element of unpredictability to villains that is hard to find in heroes, since heroes usually stick to some form of a strict ethical code. Usually, a code that is pretty similar to one that most people follow to some extent.

But villains don’t have that limitation, so their reactions can vary wildly and there’s not much that’s out of the scope of possibilities.

2 Likes