:jsa_book_club: :justice_league_book_club: Two Worlds, Two Teams, One Mission [February 2021 JSABC/JLBC EVENT]:jsa_book_club:

And here are Two Two’s questions.

1. What did you think of the JLA Classifed story here?

2. What about the JSA Classified story?
    Which one was the better story in your opinion?

3. Did you have a favorite panel among these issues?

2 Likes
  1. Just confusing and hard to follow.

2. Too slow, but very good final issue. This shows how good Psycho Pirate can be. I definitely enjoyed this one more.

3. I guess “Jeph” I mean Geoff got tired of people asking how to pronounce his name.

3 Likes
  1. I didn’t really understand who the guys fighting Grodd in the beginning were, so that made it confusing for me. It was an ok story. The real JLA came back to save the day.
  2. I liked this story better, but I always liked Earth 2 before Crisis, so anything that references it touches a chord in me.
  3. No real favorite panel. I thought the art was good in both stories.
2 Likes

Week 1

1. The first crossover is fun and you get to see different villains together to stop the JLA/JSA.

2. This crossover is also fun but I thought it odd that Dr.Midnight is Batman. Just an odd observation.

3. I enjoyed the second one more because it’s the satellite era JLA. I feel like this is the first time The Spectre turns large to stop the world from collapsing on each other and it wouldn’t be the last.

4. Well I would have to go with Spectre, Thunderbolt and Dr. Fate because they are the ones that stop the world’s from this crisis.

4 Likes

Week 2

1. As much as I like Grant Morrison, I was like what in the world is going on? I don’t remember if this spun off of JLA. It was a jumbled mess.

2. I liked this story much better. It made you think about all her multiple origins. This story was the better of the two.

3. My favorite panel

4 Likes

I’m not a Morrison fan by any stretch but this was a complete mess to me as well.

I loved seeing PG struggling with having a set of memories that didn’t fit into the situation she finds herself in now. She’s a refugee from a dead world but is not fully aware that its why she feels so off kilter. I think the writer did a good job of getting into her head space. She’s confused and perhaps even frightened by all these fragments of memory from her time on Earth 2 and to further complicated things you have Psycho Pirate messing with her head.

I loved that too. Here’s another of my favorites from this round.

3 Likes

Ah, nice! Thank you. :sunglasses: :+1:

Yes, I will have to see if I can stop by every once in a while depending on how my schedule works. :clark_hv_4:

Added that story to my reading lists and will also see about that discussion as well. Thank you again. :grin:

1 Like

This was… Well… A head scratcher for sure as to what really happened. :sweat_smile:

Also… In regards to reading about Grodd being hungry for humans…

That is the most horrifying and most likely stay the most horrifying thing I’ve read for a long time. :scream: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This was interesting as I’ve only seen a little about Power Girl before and thought she was from Earth-2. When the stories about her past kept changing, since it was a new story to me, I thought, oh that’s cool a different origin. Then it changed, and changed, and… Changed. So I was just as confused as Power Girl. Also in the last issue it reminded me to read Infinite Crisis again as that’s also in my reading lists. :sweat_smile:

Yeah I would have to go with JSA Classified. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I thought Batman playing chess with robot versions of the League was cool. :00_justice_league:

And this one from the JSA Classified stories as Superman’s expression was my expression with Power Girl’s many story changes. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this was probably not one of Grant Morrison’s better stories. Or at least in my opinion it really isn’t. :man_shrugging:

I also agree with you about Grodd being hungry for people. So wrong on so many levels.

That’s the beauty of it. I think even the readers are supposed to be just as confused as she is.

That was pretty cool.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve read other discussions about different stories written by him that were better received, so maybe this was just one outlying case based on different circumstances where everything did not work out as intended. :thinking:

Oh yeah. Looking from a story perspective that made total sense. Although, having Psycho Pirate confuse Power Girl to get her to this breaking point…

That did not sit well with me at all. :pensive:

It did, as @MatthewHecht said, make Psycho Pirate be a formidable villain for sure though as well as taking out Jay and Mr. Terrific with his powers. I’ll probably also shuffle around some of my other readings I have to see how the rest of the story played out so I can see justice being served out to Psycho Pirate sooner… :smirk:

Oh… And all the other things that happened during Infinite Crisis. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

And here we go with the Lightning Saga folks. It was a pretty fun read with a guest appearance by another of DC’s great Super Teams: The Legion of Superheroes. I hope you all enjoy this one @JSABookClub And @JusticeLeagueBookClub.

Here are this weeks questions.

1. Seems we have a three team crossover here. How many of you are familiar with the Legion of Superheroes?

2. What did you think of the interactions between the three teams here?

3. What did you think of the Lightning Saga overall?

6 Likes
  1. Mostly from Smallville. I never cared for them in anything else other than Thom Kallor.
  2. I felt it was too Justice League focused with most of the inner team interactions being too simplistic. I am probably biased, but I thought the two JSA issues were better done.
  3. Highly overrated. I never saw the appeal in saying this is the best JSA/JL crossover when I much prefer Virtue and Vice, the CSA crossover, JSA 54…

To end a on a high note I love the Arkham scene, and I really loved the interactions between two of my favorite heroes, Batman and Sandman. Especially them fighting the hordes of Batmen who were designed after various Batman designs like DKR Batman.

This is my favorite panel.

2 Likes
  1. I am very familiar with the Legion. I bought the first issue of their Baxter series back in the 80s.
  2. I liked the camaraderie between the League and the Society. It was nice to hear Superman 's feelings about his time with the Legion.
  3. It was an enjoyable story, although if Wally wasn’t the person who they were supposed to bring back, who was?
2 Likes

I have to agree with that. I prefer their interactions in the Pre-Crisis era more then those in the Post-Crisis. I never cared for the “clutter earth” that was the result of the destruction of the multiverse.

I really liked that part too. Especially all those various Batman.

1 Like

I’m familiar with the Legion because of @Don-El’s Legion Fan Club. which I will link in case anyone is interested in joining it. :grin:

I really liked hearing about that too. In case anyone is interested here is the story Supes is referencing. It happens in Adventure Comics #312.

Maybe Barry?

5 Likes

I’ll be posting the new Legion reading soon this week and at the very least I’ll be pointing towards this thread during the reading. The shout-out is appreciated!

4 Likes

Coolio @Don-El.

1 Like

raises hand enthusiastically

I’ve known of the Legion since I was about…7 or 8, but didn’t get into them until my teens. How could someone not be interested in a franchise called “Legion of Super-Heroes”? It’s COOL!

Dug 'em! Lots of fun!

Loved it! The Lightning Saga was a favorite of mine in 2007 and its still a lot of fun all these years later. I enjoyed my re-read of it quite heartily.

Plus, Michael Turner’s cover art on Justice League of America was :ok_hand:t2:.

4 Likes
  1. I’ve been interested in the Legion for a long time but never read any of their books. I loved what Johns did in Action and when Adventure Comics came back out. I had the DC classics set too.

2. I think the Legion clearly had another motive but brought back the wrong Flash. Clearly these were all built up to get people excited for Barry. As I read these I forgot who they brought back since I read all these when they were new.

3. I enjoyed this group of books alot. This was around the time I was heavier into DC because I had read Marvel for about 10 years and always appreciated the classic DC characters who now I was getting to read about for essentially the first time.

This image was a beautiful splash page.

4 Likes

I just never got into them until recently. I started off my comic reading with Marvel titles mainly so that may explain it.

I did like seeing the JSA, the JLA & LOSH interacting here. That was the best part here for me anyway.

I liked the Alex Ross JSA covers myself.

2 Likes