Trial of the Amazons | Book Discussion | Spoilers Ahead

For those wondering about the Chaos reference at the end of Wonder Woman #786 (thanks for the tip on this, @nuuninuunani!), here is the panel in question from #775:

You can read the whole issue in our DCUI library if you’re curious!

8 Likes

Just stoppin’ by to drop this off:

Forbes magazine will have WW 3 news.

:smiley: :+1: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

4 Likes

:star_struck:

Thank you for sharing, @DC89!

5 Likes

:smiley: :+1:

4 Likes

On a semi related note, whatever happened to that Amazons spinoff movie they were talking about?

7 Likes

I don’t think much has been said. I don’t think there was an official cancellation like there was for other DC projects around that time like Ava Duvaney’s New Gods or The Trench spin-off. Maybe that’s one of the things that will be talked about in this Forbes story?

Also, the full solicits for July’s comics came out and it includes an…interesting sounding one-shot that might reveal what’s going on with Trial of the Amazons, though it could be leaving out key information. Should I post it on here? I’ll put it in the drop down “hide details” thing in case someone doesn’t want to see it.

7 Likes

Maybe over in the ‘Wonder Squad’ club thread or a new thread entirely with a heft SPOILER tag in the title?
If its what I think it is, then it would probably dominate the discussion over everything else

6 Likes

The last thing I heard about it was around WW84’s release when Patty Jenkins said she still would love it to happen but was making no promises that it actually would.

I’m over here continuing my campaign to give the girl playing Young Diana in the films her own HBO Max show. :pray:

6 Likes

As long as everyone is blurring/hiding/warning about spoilers, I think it’s okay to post wherever you want? Speaking personally, I am very spoiler-sensitive and absolutely do not want to know until TOTA is over - so I will just avoid those posts! I’m sure not everyone feels the same way as I do. As long as you can’t read it by casually scrolling past, it should be good. :+1:

5 Likes

Same. I avoid spoilers at all cost, especially when it’s something like this that I’m excited about, so I’m pretty much in tunnel vision mode on what I read in here. :laughing: :00_wonder_woman_gold: :black_heart:

5 Likes

The penultimate chapter of Trial of the Amazons is upon us! Trial of the Amazons: Wonder Girl #2 is out today. If you’ve read it and want to discuss, please share your thoughts below! Please blur spoilers. :blush: :wondersquadron1:

6 Likes

An interesting issue! I will say it has gorgeous art and I adore the poster style pages of locations this artist does.

I appreciate the art direction where the top chunk of panels for most of the book is focused upon Diana as she digs her way out. Though I confess im not entirely sure where she wound up. The throne room of the palace? I have to agree with Diana, how the heck did she beat the other three their? Unless the dramatic reveal of the true villain at the end of the book was an indicator. Oh…Or perhaps dooms doorway is directly below the palace and the entrance to it is tunnels leading to it from underground?

Then the middle chunk of panels is all Cassie hamming it up as an armchair detective ruling out potential suspects one at a time and I really like how everyone is just growing increasingly more exasperated and frustrated with Cassie taking her time, reveling in her moment in the spotlight. XD
I honestly expected Hippolyta just to poison herself since the Bana Mighdall backup from months ago teased the three eldest Amazons were plotting something. Though I suppose they DID need to rope in Artemis for some reason.
That background knowledge certainly makes the deductions on Cassies part connect some dots, revealing that Atalanta was creating an opening for Artemis to act.
Though im still not entirely sure WHY Antiope, Atalanta, and Hippolyta were doing this. With one issue left for this event, we have a good number of things to see resolved.

As for the bottom chunk of panels…I confess I love it from an artistic perspective. Showing Philipus, Yara, and Donna racing to the palace to warn Nubia of Chaos being involved. However in the end it seemingly doesn’t amount to alot and feels kinda pointless with Diana beating them there regardless. I kinda suspect its only there as an artistic choice to back up the other two elements.

The palace crumbling and the reveal of Dooms Doorway rising from the Earth though was pretty sweet. Im really curious where this is going.

That said with everything going on, I doubt we will see all of our questions answered in the finale. We still have the deal with dooms doorway, who shall be guarding it, the queenship of the Amazons, and the black gunk to resolve.

The next issue of Wonder Woman in its promo teases we will have Diana looking into Altuum and his claims about his people being the settlers of the island before being kicked out by the Greek Gods. I wonder how much of that issue will serve as an epilogue for this event and tying up any remaining loose ends.

Overall I thought this was a pretty great issue. Though DANG is that cover ever misleading. XD
Yaras only contribution is doing a superhero pose and being told now aint the time for the superhero pose~
With Cassie pretty much dominating the issue as its main character with Faruka, Potira, and Nubia providing fun lean ins and peanut gallery commentary on Cassies self indulgent sleuthing reveal.

Im also not entirely sure how Cassie revealing the killer is supposed to have stopped the Amazons from fighting one another?

6 Likes

My second-most anticipated book of this week! :hugs:

However, its Yara’s last starring gig for a while. :pleading_face:

I am most definitely going to take my time with this one.

7 Likes

Well, since this issue does reveal the stuff I was talking about, I’ll go ahead and put it down here, the one-shot that’s coming out in July that seems to directly address what was revealed in this issue:

Summary

ARTEMIS: WANTED #1
Written by VITA AYALA
Art by SKYLAR PATRIDGE
Cover by MATTEO SCALERA
Variant cover by KAMOME SHIRAHAMA
1:25 variant cover by BECKY CLOONAN
$5.99 US | 48 pages | One-shot | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)
ON SALE 7/19/22

After the events of Trial of the Amazons, Artemis is on the run from her sisters for her sins. She may say it was all in the name of peace, but not even Wonder Woman believes a word she says. Now the former member of the Bana-Mighdall is wanted by not only her people but all Amazon tribes!
Is there a future for a warrior who has destroyed her past? Find out as Artemis travels the world searching for answers and a new path forward. She’ll need all the help she can get, and it may come from the unlikeliest of sources…the Gods!

7 Likes

Anyway, really liked this issue: the page design was absolutely brilliant with how it was able to balance all these different points of the plot. The stuff with Cassie going full Hercule Poirot in explaining who killed Hippolyta was hilarious.

6 Likes

how did you do that sort of summary button thing in your post?

7 Likes

On the reply page, click on the little gear button and it will give you a bunch of options, including a “hide details” button. Click on that and it will bring up the code for it.

6 Likes

Another excellent issue! I don’t have a ton to say that hasn’t already been discussed but man, this reveal was a long time coming. Kind of a relief to just know now. This unnamed Amazon in the middle of the panel was my mood for this whole issue:

Yes, Cassie, everyone wants to be Poirot at least once, but this many issues in please just tell us. :joy:

The art really is beautiful. I like this panel of Diana. It is an out-of-character pose for her looking tired and a little defeated. I don’t think she would sit this way if others were around:

And finally - one of my favorite things about Diana is the way she will try to resolve things without physical conflict. But currently I confess I’d like to see her beat the heck out of Artemis. :rage:

6 Likes

I fell behind last week because of a Strangers In Paradise binge read. I did read last week’s Wonder Woman tonight. The issue left me with a more questions than it solved. I’m not complaining because it left me wanting more. I am interested in what is coming. I want to see Chaos and how it will unify the tribes.

4 Likes

The art in this last issue was absolutely gorgeous. The story and the big reveal, however, fell a bit flat for me. Yeah, Cassie’s “detective” moment was cool & all, but devoting a whole issue to that was a bit much. Especially true for me because I don’t recall catching on to any of the clues she listed. Not sure if they happened on or off the page in previous issues. Would have to go back and “investigate” myself. The culprit’s admission and declaration that they’re keeping their reasons close to their chest is also a bit frustrating.

In any case, the final page with the Doom’s Doorway reveal was a nice reminder of what started this whole ordeal to begin with, before the Hippolyta murder detour. Curious to see how it all wraps up!

8 Likes