Top 10 New 52 Comics

I often read a lot of New 52 hate and I’ll agree on many of the issues but overall, I found more good than bad and so I consider New 52 underrated. Do you have at least have a top 5? For me it has to be…

Justice League Origins

Zero Year

Batman Eternal

Green Lantern: Wrath of the First Lantern

Aquaman: Throne of Atlantis

2 Likes

It was suppose to be Top 5 but I put 10 for some reason. Oh well I got a top 10 too…

Justice League Origins

Zero Year

Batman Eternal

Green Lantern: Wrath of the First Lantern

Aquaman: Throne of Atlantis

Batman: Court of Owls

Superman Unchained

Grayson

Batman: Endgame

Swamp Thing: Rotworld: The Green Kingdom

My Top 10 New52 books in no particular order:

Demon Knights

Batman

Green Lantern

Frankenstein
Agent of S.H.A.D.E

Sword of Sorcery
Featuring: Amethyst

Dial H

I, Vampire

Animal Man

Swamp Thing

Justice League Dark

3 Likes

Batman

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

Aquaman

All Star Western

Batgirl

Sword of Sorcery

Action Comics

Batwing

JLI

To be fair the NEW 52 started out strong and had a lot good stuff, but it also destroy most of my favorite characters at the time. examples being Green Arrow, Static & Teen Titans. but i am more character driven then story driven so even if its a good story if you take away change the character completely i become not has invested in the story. and loosing Stephan Brown & Mia Dearden at the time, along with the change to Solstice made me pretty mad.

2 Likes

I’ve been following an online reading order, but the ones I’ve enjoyed the most have been:

Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern New Guardians
Teen Titans
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Suicide Squad
Anything Batman related

2 Likes

What they did to Stephanie Brown when New52 came was inexcusable her run as Batgirl was great best Batgirl ever imho and then poof she’s gone erased from history wtf!! I was pissed… but other than that I enjoyed many aspects of the New52 I didn’t hate it like others. Change is difficult to deal with but you have to accept it or move on…

3 Likes

I loved The New 52 and still do.

My top five:
-Justice League
-Superman Unchained
-Wonder Woman
-Blackhawks
-OMAC

Honorable mention: Grayson

3 Likes

Court of owls all the way

1 Like

I really liked the new 52 and read more DC then than at any point in my life (other than I bought in so hard on Blackest Night that i read all the tie-ins before burning out half way through) In fact my only major complaint is that they left continued continuity for Green Lantern.
My favorite books were Animal Man, Swamp Thing, (The Rotworld Crossover is among my fave comic stories of the decade)
Wonder Woman (Still my favorite WW story)
Batman (loved Court of Owls as an All Time Batman story until the very end reveal)
Aquaman (Didn’t quite live up to my personal hype placed on Johns writing but i really liked it)
Batwoman (JH Williams visual story telling was perfect)
Justice League Dark (My favorite collection of characters and the story was good. Wish they’d come up with a better name for it and try this title again)
Frankenstein Agents of S.H.A.D.E. (My favorite part of the new 52 was the insistence on publishing 52 titles a month, meaning there were some really odd and fun titles) I also read extended runs of all GL titles, Catwoman, JL and JLI, I waited way too long for Mister Terrific, Stormwatch, and Teen Titans. Sadly i missed BatGirl which i guess was great. I like Rebirth, but i really wish New 52 would have stuck a little longer.

Looking over the list, of titles, I found only 7 titles consistently good.

Aquaman
Earth 2
Justice League of America
Worlds Finest

Demon Knights
Frankenstein, Agent of Shade
Justice League Dark

I just read Volumes 1 and 2 of Action Comics. Volume 1 was good

I don’t remember Batman or Wonder Woman being very good, but i will retry if on Comixology Unlimited, since so many people liked them.

I did not like Amazons raping men at sea for repopulation purposes., or the Amazons in general or the way the Greek Gods were supposed to be family, but many looked nothing what others looked like ie human and non human

Animal man is #1 for me bc it’s the book that had me diving into comics.

I also really enjoyed;
Swamp Thing
Batman
Aqua-man
Flash
Agents of Shade
Action Comics (Morrison)
Grayson

2 Likes

Court of owls

I loved Harley Quinn new 52, she was independent and on her own quirky adventures becoming an antihero over being The Joker’s side wench

1 Like

I don’t think either Manapul’s Flash run or Morrison’ Action Comics get the attention or the respect they deserve. I also really enjoyed Mr Miracle, a book that didn’t have a chance to succeed because of a good but unfamiliar writer and a succession of artists whose skill was to put it politely mixed. Wonder Woman is an obvious favorite. Snyder and Capullo’s Batman was good I thought the best Batbook overall was Batman & Robin. All Star Western was alot of fun as well.

I just reread Action Comics New 52 Volumes 1, 2, and 3, the one that were written by Morrison, at Comixology

It was an ambitious attempt to fuse the original aggressive, almost social justice warrior of Action Comics 1, in 1938, with the more traditional ‘Truth, Justice and the American way’, Superman albeit in a very complex way.

Volume 1 can be enjoyed by anyone, then past, present, and future coexists, which hurt my head, in Volumes 2 and 3.

Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson (the Present), Ma and Pa Kent, Lana Lang,Jor-el, the Phantom Zone and Kyrpto (the Past) and the Legion of Super Heroes (the Future) are integral to the story.

New 52 was a grand experiment, and this is a fine example.

I’ll read it again next year, but at a much slower pace.

1 Like