Tom King Talks: Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow

American Alien wasn’t in continuity though. Elseworld’s Kara’s can be literally anything. She’s a supernazi on one earth.

2 Likes

She’s always had a mini-skirt and she was only controlled by Darkseid in her initial arc. She went through some stuff in both that volume and the New 52 run, but really, when you actually experience the death of your entire planet with your own eyes, I can’t blame anyone for having a hard time getting used to things.

Definitely – for example, Supergirl being ghostlit by Comet the Super Horse:

Or pretty much her entire 70s series:

2 Likes

I am Not saying the first issue was supergirls greatest moment. i am saying give it a chance.

2 Likes

Wholesome people get drunk and barf sometimes, particularly on their 21st birthdays.

4 Likes

also, another fun thing about Tom King is the easter eggs he has in his works at least when he is teamed with Clay Mann. half the fun of batman Catwoman for me is finding those easter eggs.

1 Like

So, this series ends this week - what have people been thinking so far? I need to read it all through. I got stuck at issue 3, which felt like a repetition of Omega Men and Birds of Prey (1998-) #18. But people have told me it got really good after that.

2 Likes

I haven’t read any of this yet but I plan to catch up as it comes to DCUI. Mainly I got drawn to it because I love Bilquis Evely’s art. (She posted a video inking one of her drawings from this series on Instagram and it was seriously so comforting to watch for some reason. Just beautiful work. :star_struck:)

2 Likes

I enjoyed it it was a nice spin on a classic tale but I especially enjoyed the exploration of supergirls origin in issue 7 and the nods to supergirls history from Linda Danvers to comet. there is even a subtle reference to power girl.
I like Supergirl because she did not fully grow up on earth like Clark therefore did not always have her powers. Issues 1 and 7 also show that even when she was not super, Kara was super. i also don’t mind that she had a bit of a fowl mouth on her.

1 Like

Was a great series overall. I like galaxy spanning epic space sci-fi and it provided that in spades. I know some folks don’t like how Kara is portrayed, but I feel it’s in line with what I’ve read of the character in comics so far. Maybe it has to do with my reading being heavily skewed towards newer stuff. The potty mouth was new, but gave me a few chuckles here & there. I also feel the series did a good job of differentiating Kara from Clark, and making Supergirl more than just a female analog of Superman. The ending gave me a chuckle too: initially I thought Ruthye killed the dude, but it’s obvious from the next panel that she just knocked him out.

Side note: Not sure I get what purpose the revelation that the pegasus was a man serves; that might have gone over my head.

Another side note: I feel like I need a break from Tom King’s poetic prose.

1 Like

It was jarring to me at first, but felt totally in line with how a teenage girl would act the more I read it.

1 Like