Titans Together / Return of the Book Club \ Titans: Titans Together 1-4

1. How do you feel about the inclusion of Red Hood on the Titans team in this book series?

It makes sense, if only because these issues were likely meant to entice people who have watched the Titans original series. It’s also not the first time that Jason has been part of a group of Titans, as he showed up as part of the New Teen Titans shortly before his death. For anyone curious, the Renegade Robin club covered that story a while back:

As for the character himself – I think he works well enough as sort of the wild card. I really enjoyed the dynamic he had with Dick and how they were able to get under each other’s skins.

1. Which story from the 4 books was your favorite and why?

That’s a good question, as while I don’t know if I’d say any of the issues are instant classics, most of them were pretty solid. I think I’d go with issue #2, since that had more hallmarks of Titans adventures with the inclusion of Brother Blood, Deathstroke and Ravager.

1. What was your general opinion about the format of these particular stories?

I dig it – as I recall, these were stories that were going to be in the Walmart 100 Page Giants that DC did some years back, so they were written with basic enough that new readers familiar with the characters in other mediums can get into it, but with enough history that one could move onto the regular Titans books with relative ease.

Then when the Walmart comics folded, these were repurposed as digital comics during the early days of Covid when print comics were put on hold. These stories and in other titles were good at keeping people reading at a time when it was desperately needed.

1. In issue 1, how did you feel about what Beast Boy had to give into to help save the day? What else did you think about this first issue?

It was nice to see – it’s somewhat rare to see Beast Boy be the one who saves the day, as he’s usually just a bit player who has some fun action moments and comedy relief. Other than that, I also really loved the dynamic that Dick and Jason had, some hilarious banter.

1. In issue 2, we see Ravager as part of the story. How do you feel about Rose Wilson as a character? How did you feel about this particular issue?

She’s cool – I’ve read her in other books, like Christopher Priest’s Deathstroke and more recently in Joshua Williamson’s Robin, and she can definitely spice up a book. I did think it was kind of odd that the cover teases a romantic connection between Rose and Jason, and while there is a connection in the story, it’s hardly that serious or explicit other than her suggesting he visit the private island she’s buying with her ill-gotten goods.

1. In issue 3, how did you feel about the reason for the adventure between Beast Boy and Raven? How did you feel about this particular issue and the fact it was split into more than one story?

That was an…interesting story for Raven and Beast Boy, like I don’t get why those two were the ones that went in for that. You would think with Luthor being the one in charge that Superman or someone in that family would be a more prime candidate. I will say I think the second story with Raven dealing with the cult was much better.

1. In issue 4, how did the narrative make you feel? Did you enjoy the Donna moment at the end where she is very clear with Nightwing? What did you enjoy or dislike about this particular issue?

It was interesting – I liked that it tried to be more introspective and play around a bit with the superhero metanarrative, address that often the criminals in our society are desperate people who feel crime is their only resort, but I don’t know how well it worked in this instance, since the woman in HIVE’s situation wasn’t really addressed clearly. I guess maybe they’re both illegal and that’s why the daughter was listed as homeless? I dunno, trying to figure that out kind of took me out of the story.

2 Likes