Thoughts on Young Adult Themed DC Graphic Novels (Gotham High, Teen Titans: Raven, Etc..)

I have not read traditional young adult novels in quite sometime. While perusing the DC Comics news feed I’ve noticed in an up tic in young adult writers writing graphic novels. Taking my search to YouTube I saw that many fans were annoyed with the development. I’d be interested to hear a critique by someone who has read these books, not just mindlessly hating on it.

2 Likes

I have not read any, but I believe I have heard people around here say they are good. I believe @6h0s4 is a fan of them.

2 Likes

They are really good.

I’ll edit this later (low battery).

But I have an unofficial book club.
DC INK, DC KIDS & DC ICONS (unofficial) book club

10:04pm 6/3/2020

3 Likes

Well, that’s the best place to find a bad take.

3 Likes

I just finished Raven a couple weeks back. I enjoyed it. It was a fresh take on a great character. The art is gorgeous. I have also read the first of the Super Sons books. I just haven’t gotten the next one yet. That one was a lot of fun. Two totally different versions of Jon and Damian.

I don’t mind the YA authors writing the graphic novels, I honestly didn’t really think about it until I saw this topic. I figured it was just a way to pull in new readers. People who already like these characters are going to buy the books, but if you use YA authors to write them you’ll get their fanbase to buy them too. Either way, I’m just happy these characters are getting the spotlight. I’m excited for the Beast Boy book coming out this fall, I believe.

2 Likes

Well, I haven’t read many of them, but I can confirm that The Oracle Code and Shadow of the Batgirl are both fantastic.

2 Likes