Thoughts on Guy Gardner's Warrior Era

Fair enough.

I think I read all of Guy Gardner Warrior when it first came out. I believe Guy lost his powers before Parallax; but it’s been a long time since I read all this stuff. There’s a Guy Gardner Reborn miniseries which takes place right after Guy loses his powers.

During the Gerard Jones run, I was a huge fan of the GL mythos. There were multiple spin offs. But eventually DC couldn’t afford to pay the creators what they wanted. Image really screwed up the industry for quite a while.

At the time, my favorite titles were Hawkworld, Aquaman, and everything GL. Hal was ruined; Katar turned into a loser; and Aquaman became a big winer.

Then DC decided to ruin LoSH as well. It was a pretty rough time to be a fan.

1 Like

The Dr.Fate reboot of that time was slightly more embarrassing but it’s close.

1 Like

By the way, Hal was assigned to rebuild the Corps (after CoIE), and John was assigned to the Mosaic planet. Both of these storylines is chronicled in separate spinoffs. So this left Guy as the sole GL for sector 2814.

When Hal completed his mission, he returned to Earth with orders to relieve Guy. Guy wouldn’t have it, and challenged Hal to a fight; loser quits the Corps.

Guy lost. However, he manned up and handed over his ring. And that’s how Guy lost his ring.

1 Like

It is not one of my favorite runs but ok. I feel it was a valiant effort to update a then stagnate character. I feel it fell short. I have been a Guy Gardner fan for a long time and was not really happy with the change back in the day. But re-read it recently. I feel Beau Smith was not the right writer for this attempt. The art was really good. The varied artist all did well.

Overall Id give Warrior a 2.5 to 3 out of 5 Stars. Not bad but not remarkable.

I was actually rooting for Guy in this fight because I thought it would be more interesting if Hal had to quit the corps. ( It would have saved us from that Godawful Ergono storyline with Olivia Reynolds for one thing!) Also I really think it would have changed the whole landscape of what came later (Emerald Twilight, Zero Hour etc)

Yeah, I always preferred the pre-New 52 Guy. He wasn’t just a jerk; he was flawed. He had a really rough upbringing in addition to mental difficulties.

But after New 52, he was just another ex-cop. He, John, and Hal pretty much have the same background. Their only differences are their stereotypical personalities (jock, nerd, bully).

1 Like