This Dog Is Wearing a Mask Aka Batman Brave & the Bold Is Wild

@tshaver Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

I have to admit, when I first saw BATMAN: Brave and the Bold on the Cartoon Network, I was less than impressed. Underwhelmed, might be a good word for it. This animated version was like none before it. This Batman was all seeing, all knowing and apparently, really Tony Stark in disguise. His whole costume had suddenly become a push button extension of his utility belt. Which of course, still has everything (including the kitchen sink). Even to the point of becoming a fully functioning, rocket powered, pair of bat-wings and (or) space suit, on command!

Funny, how time can give you a different perspective on things. Not only have I come to accept the campy approach to the dialogue (ala Adam West), but the Silver Age is fully on display for those able to appreciate it. And the overall writing, marvelous! The over the top characterizations of heroes like Aquaman are on a par with those done today, on Harley Quinn!

Iā€™m watching BATMAN: B&B on the DCU site, not for the tongue 'n cheek adventures of the lead, but for the superb adult word play that goes on constantly. Hard to pick a favorite episode (not having seen them all yet), but " the Mask of Matches Malone " is a perfect example of that adult themed material I mentioned. That song 'n dance number was outstanding!

Just another reason to appreciate what membership can bring you. Canā€™t wait 'til Titans and Doom Patrol are back and Stargirl joins them!

6 Likes

Definitely on of my favorite Batshows growing up. Introduced me to so much of the DC universe that I didnā€™t know about growing up.

3 Likes

You know this show is unforgettable and iconic when you randomly get the Music Meister episode songs stuck in your head

3 Likes

I love brave and the bold, one of my first introductions to Batman or Dc as a kid, and the series holds a special place in my heart. Rewatching some episodes in the past few months reminded me how great this show is. I love John DiMaggio and he is absolutely perfect as Aquaman. The show is perfect silver age Batman.

4 Likes

TBATB is one of the best animated series DC has ever done.
It is a love letter to the silver age and a reminder that comics can be greatly entertaining without being ā€œdark & gritttā€ or ā€œdeep & meaningfulā€. Itā€™s ok for them to be fun andā€¦say it with meā€¦OUTRAGEOUS adventures.

Also the double entendres and word play are also part of the silver age. They got, on occasion, stuff past the CCA, pulled the wool over their eyes, however you want to put it. Batmanā€™66 got a few tidbits thru the FCC censorship at the time as well.

The kid level/adult level humor is why itā€™s such a classic. Very much like some of the original Looney Tunes. Some of the stuff Bugs and Foghorn Leghorn got past the censors is remarkable.

TBATB is an awesome series. Iā€™m glad itā€™s on the service and people are getting a chance to see it or rewatch it with sdult eyes and ears.

6 Likes

I just started watching and honestly I expected it to be kind of juvenile and stupid, but I am DELIGHTED to report that I was wrong, Iā€™m having a blast

Booster Goldā€™s characterization is hysterical

4 Likes

Except for the fact that it elevates the Batman character far too much, I think itā€™s a better introduction to the DCU than even JL and JLU, which also elevates the Batman character far too much but tries to pretend itā€™s about the broader DCU, whereas B-tBatB makes no bones about it, down to the Batmite concluding finale.

@wrightline1.42741 You just have to roll with it about Prep-Time TM and Batgodā€™s Plot Armour TM and itā€™s not quite Silver Age, in every aspect, more of modernized and loving song to it.

Itā€™s a shame this site no longer has videos attached to it. Also, that HBO Max did not have a lot of this stuff the month I tested it out, which made me decide against it.

1 Like

This show is amazing, and I know I bring it up like 3 times a day, but the episode Mayhem of the Music Meister! changed my life.

1 Like