The Teen Titans Attempt the Oregon Trail

As suggest by @BatMike-ThePunisher I put the Teen Titans on the Oregon Trail to see how they did.

We start in April. For my six members I picked the first six members shown if you google “Teen Titans” which happenned to be the six from the show. I decided journalist was a good career since it gives us no wagon skills and little money, but lots of bonus points, and by being a trail guide I get lots of extra money anyway (and if I am not trail guide I always get assigned to an idiot who loves deserts too much). I forgot to get any skills, but that means if we get there we get a whole lot of points, and we can overcome a complete lack of skills.

Since Dick is normally the leader I play as him.

Since Beast Boy is on the team we do the vegetarian route of not hunting and lots of gathering. That also means we do not need to worry about stray bullets.

I know this goes against the roleplaying, but I start on meager rations.

Dick gets elected trail guide to a group of 149 people, and we are off to Oregon and picking edible plants everywhere traveling at ten hours a day with our ten oxen (in hindsight I should have bought chickens with how great the early game was).

The first 800 miles are insanely good. Starfire despite having no experience is ridiculously good at guiding wagons over dangerous rivers. The most interesting thing is Beast Boy keeps demanding we stop, as the animals are too exhausted. Since the food supply is still good we let them rest for a few days (but not the months he wanted).

Then in a period of 4 days (two traveling days) 2 oxen hurt their legs in a hole. Nothing 3 days rest each does not fix. As much as Beast Boy pampers them our 10 oxen are very hardy. Now who is digging those holes?

We meet some strangers who wanted help, all of our oxen. We said no and left.

Raven gets a cold and guides us into a thunderstorm. Considering the first real bad thing only happens 818 miles in this is really good. Some strategic rest stops slowly gets her back to health. Sure it gives us some scares, but she recovers before we get to the Rocky Mountains where again Starfire gets us through every obstacle no problem.

After that we have a major choice, shortcut through the desert of longer route (always take the longer route or you die of thirst).

On June 28th Raven got sick again so rations are increased to filling for the rest of the trip. Apparently Trigon’s genes include a sucky immune system. Fortunately lots of springs up ahead make great resting places, and we still have plenty of food and money. Then again it becomes very hot after a very cold Spring and Raven hurts her elbow.

On August 11th in Idaho something bad happens to somebody besides Raven, as Starfire catches a cold. Nothing like catching a cold in the middle of August. Also how do we have no water when next to a river? Surely this is not a sign of bad things to come.

After she recovers and gets us over the Snake River everything looks great. All 6 people are still alive and in perfect health. We are on the last stage of the journey. We have plenty of money to pay somebody to raft us over The Dalles to safely end the journey with a huge point total. Our morale is amazing like it has been this whole time. Then all the problems hit us.

We run out of meat entirely, but we have enough dried fruit and beans to last the whole time. Then the wagon keeps breaking it, and for a guy made of machines it turns out Cyborg cannot fix a wagon to save his life. Thankfully I bought lots of spare parts.

We continue on and all the water dries up (I do not know if surviving on just dried food affects thirst meters in the game).

Then on September 4th in the state of Oregon and within sight of a giant river we would raft across Raven dies of Thirst. We give her a proper burial. Then that same day I die of thirst. Well that is disappointing. As the leader the game is over and apparently Starfire, Terra, Beast Boy, and Cyborg panic and die (nothing bad happenned all game to the last 3).

That was very uneven. Last time something like that happenned to me was in the base game when Jason Todd burned down the wagon at the very end. This is the only time I played where buying canteens would have been useful.

Here is the full travel log.

Summary

March 31, 1848

Here begins the journal of Dick, formerly a journalist. Tomorrow we leave Independence behind to begin our journey west to Oregon City. We must still purchase the supplies that our large farmwagon will hold to sustain us during our long trek.

April 1, 1848

Took advantage of the package deal offered to me. What a relief not to have to shop for all that individually!

Purchased 1 spare wagon axle, 1 spare wagon tongue, 1 spare wagon wheel, 1 wagon cover.

Purchased 10 oxen.

Purchased 1 fishing pole.

We will push on for ten hours/day from now on.

We will have to eat less each day.

Sore feet today, but I’ll manage. Saw Blue River.

Caulk the wagon and float it across, that is the way to go.

From our guidebook, estimated we would reach Westport today, and sure enough, there it was!

Mr. Tillman claims it’s the Oregon Territory up ahead, but the guidebook says it’s New Santa Fe.

Dick- Leader, doctor,

Terra- Hills

Beast Boy- Plants, animals

Raven- Map

Cyborg- Engineer, cook,

Starfire- Rivers,

April 3, 1848

I have been hired as trail guide for the wagon train.

The fog was awful this morning. We decided to continue as usual.

Arrived at Lone Elm today.

April 4, 1848

Went gathering. We found edible Prairie Poppymallow roots, edible Ground Cherry berries, edible Sumac berries and edible Chickory leaves and roots.

Made it to Blue Mound.

April 5, 1848

It was extremely foggy early today. We figured it was best to continue as usual.

Went gathering. We found edible Currants, edible Sow Thistle leaves and edible Prairie Poppymallow roots.

April 6, 1848

Went gathering. We found edible Yellow Pond Lily tubers, edible Elderberries and edible Dandelion leaves and roots.

The wagon train reached Kansas River this day.

Beast Boy keeps making us pick up all the plants.

April 7, 1848

Today we have traveled 100 miles.

After much travail, we came to Saint Mary’s Mission.

April 8, 1848

Sore feet today, but I’ll manage. Saw Red Vermillion River.

Decided to ford the river.

Reached Scott Spring.

Went gathering. We found edible Elderberries and edible Currants.

April 10, 1848

Rested for a time near Alcove Spring.

The wagon train reached Big Blue River this day.

April 11, 1848

A delay prevented us from crossing at Big Blue River. We’re going to wait our turn to cross.

Today we drove our wagons and teams past St. Joseph Road Junction.

April 12, 1848

The animals are so exhausted they can’t continue. We plan to stop and rest awhile.

Beast Boy keeps whining the animals are tired and need to rest for a few weeks. We convince him one day is good.

April 14, 1848

Terrible fog during the early part of the day. We chose to continue as usual.

April 15, 1848

April 16, 1848

Reached another prominent landmark today: The Narrows.

Where is all this fog coming from? Are we under attack?

April 17, 1848

Went gathering. We found edible Plantain leaves and edible Wild Onion bulbs.

April 18, 1848

Commenced early today; saw “The Coast of Nebraska”.

April 19, 1848

Camped today near Fort Kearny.

April 20, 1848

Got as far as Plum Creek today.

April 21, 1848

Spotted a group of strangers. We decided to approach them.

They moved on.

April 25, 1848

One of our oxen stepped in a hole, and I’ve decided to rest here awhile.

April 28, 1848

One of our oxen stepped in a hole, and we are going to rest here awhile.

April 29, 1848

Mr. and Mrs. Billings came by for a visit today near O’Fallon’s Bluffs; had a very nice chat.

What type of holes keep injuring our oxen? These warthogs are clobbering us all.

April 30, 1848

May 1, 1848

The other wagons are churning up thick dust. We’re going to continue as usual.

May 2, 1848

The eternal dust of the wagons ahead of us is most troublesome. We will continue as usual.

Today came to South Platte River.

Went gathering. We found edible Ground Cherry berries, edible Yucca flowers and pods and edible Sunflower seeds.

May 3, 1848

Today we have traveled 500 miles.

It was extremely foggy early today. We figured it was best to continue as usual.

Passed Ash Hollow.

May 4, 1848

The eternal dust of the wagons ahead of us is most troublesome. We will continue as usual.

May 5, 1848

May 6, 1848

We hope for some rain to settle the dust. For the time being, we’ll continue as usual.

Stopped near Courthouse and Jail Rocks for a while.

May 7, 1848

We’re nearly choking on the dust of the trail. We’ve decided to continue as usual.

Came to Chimney Rock.

May 8, 1848

Came to Scotts Bluff.

May 9, 1848

The dust from other wagons has gotten bad. We decided to continue as usual.

Spotted a group of strangers. We decided to approach them.

We talked to them.

Saw Robidoux Pass Trading Post today.

Purchased 30 pounds of bacon, 2 5-lb. tins of biscuits, 1 20-lb. sack of potatoes.

The strangers wanted all of our oxen. No.

May 10, 1848

We hope for some rain to settle the dust. For the time being, we’ll continue as usual.

May 11, 1848

May 12, 1848

This morning it was very foggy. We decided to continue as usual.

Today we passed Laramie River.

Fording the river looks to be our best option.

Reached Fort John. Strangely beautiful country.

From our guidebook, estimated we would reach Register Cliff today, and sure enough, there it was!

May 13, 1848

May 14, 1848

May 15, 1848

The dust from other wagons has gotten bad. We decided to continue as usual.

May 16, 1848

Low is 35 in the middle of May.

May 17, 1848

The fog is as thick as pea soup. I reckon we’ll continue as usual.

Nooned late today not far from Ayers Natural Bridge.

May 18, 1848

May 19, 1848

We rested a while not far from North Platte River.

Much grumbling today about Nick Tillman near Mormon Ferry Trading Post.

May 20, 1848

We’re nearly choking on the dust of the trail. We’ve decided to continue as usual.

Today we saw Emigrant Gap. How sublime it appears by moonlight.

May 23, 1848

Nooned at Willow Springs.

May 25, 1848

[name] came down with a bad cold, and I decided to increase fluid intake.

We were inconvenienced by a serious thunderstorm. We chose to continue as usual.

May 26, 1848

Had a lengthy chat with Mr. Lumare today near Independence Rock.

Today we drove our wagons and teams past Devil’s Gate.

Raven has cold and guides us into a thunderstorm. Very good considering first bad thing was 818 miles in.

May 27, 1848

Got as far as Split Rock today.

May 28, 1848

Sore feet today, but I’ll manage. Saw Three Crossings.

May 30, 1848

Stopped at noon near First Sweetwater River Crossing and rested from our morning’s labors.

In good spirits today; got as far as Second Sweetwater River Crossing.

May 31, 1848

Found ourselves at Third Sweetwater River Crossing this day. Got a nasty splinter in my thumb, but extracted it without too much difficulty.

June 1, 1848

Arrived at Ice Spring Slough, despite some “help” from Nicholas J. Tillman.

June 4, 1848

Raven came down with a bad cold, and I decided to rest here awhile.

June 7, 1848

Had a pleasant talk with Miss Whitney today in the vicinity of Final Sweetwater River Crossing.

We saw a small party of coyotes today, just a mile or so west of South Pass.

Rested the animals near Pacific Springs.

June 11, 1848

We came across an abandoned wagon and decided to search it for something useful.

We found: 1 kitchen cupboard; 1 16-oz. bottle of isopropyl alcohol; 1 shovel.

Nooned at Dry Sandy.

Enjoyed a cup of coffee with Mr. Lumare today at noon near “Parting of the Ways”.

June 12, 1848

Fort Bridger route over Sublette Cutoff. I am not going through a desert.

June 14, 1848

Encamped a while near Green River.

June 16, 1848

Today we have traveled 1,000 miles!

Had a bit of a run-in with another wagon party today near Church Butte, but we patched up our differences before nightfall.

June 17, 1848

Saw eagles today near Name Rock. What majestic creatures!

June 18, 1848

After some concern that we were lost, we saw Fort Bridger in the distance.

June 21, 1848

Purchased 2 5-lb. tins of biscuits, 2 5-lb. tins of crackers, 1 16-oz. jar of honey, 1 25-lb. keg of pickles, 1 20-lb. sack of rice.

June 24, 1848

We were inconvenienced by a serious thunderstorm. We chose to wait for conditions to improve.

June 26, 1848

The animals are so exhausted they can’t continue. We plan to stop and rest awhile.

June 28, 1848

Raven has a bad cold. We’re going to increase fluid intake.

We will eat better from now on.

July 2, 1848

A severe thunderstorm made travel difficult today. We figured we would continue as usual.

Today our labors were rewarded with the sight of Grave Spring.

July 5, 1848

From our guidebook, estimated we would reach West End of the Sublette Cutoff today, and sure enough, there it was!

July 6, 1848

The trail continues to provide wonders and surprises! Today we made it to Thomas Fork.

July 8, 1848

We rested a while not far from Smith’s Trading Post.

July 10, 1848

We have been traveling for 100 days, today.

Got a late start; passed Soda Springs.

July 11, 1848

Enjoyed a cup of coffee with Mr. Lumare today at noon near Sheep Rock.

July 15, 1848

July 18, 1848

Today I saw Fort Hall.

July 19, 1848

Confounded mosquitoes! There’s no end to them! We’ll continue.

July 20, 1848

A sudden duststorm came up today. It seemed best to wait for conditions to improve.

July 21, 1848

Saw some Indians in the distance not far from American Falls. No incident, but some concern.

July 22, 1848

Played cards with Mr. Tillman today while nooning near Raft River. I suspect he cheats.

Decided to caulk the wagon and float it across.

After some concern that we were lost, we saw California Trail Junction in the distance.

July 26, 1848

Had a pleasant talk with Miss Whitney today in the vicinity of Caldron Linn.

July 27, 1848

It’s mighty hot today. We’re going to continue as usual.

July 28, 1848

It’s mighty hot today. We’re going to continue as usual.

Mr. and Mrs. Billings came by for a visit today near Rock Creek; had a very nice chat.

July 29, 1848

Raven has a sprain. I decided it is best to immobilize affected joint.

We came upon some fallen rocks on the trail and decided to continue over the obstruction.

We hope for some rain to settle the dust. For the time being, we’ll wait for conditions to improve.

July 31, 1848

Came to Kanaka Rapids. Had a talk with some of the other folks in the wagon train.

August 1, 1848

Rested for a time near Thousand Springs.

August 2, 1848

Found a clean, well-formed ox skull a short ways from Upper Salmon Falls; tempted to take it with me, but decided against it.

August 4, 1848

Stopped at noon near Three Islands and rested from our morning’s labors.

August 6, 1848

August 7, 1848

Encamped a while near Bruneau Sand Dunes.

August 8, 1848

The wagon train reached Bruneau River this day.

Decided to caulk the wagon and float it across.

Our train lost 5 wagons and 10 people crossing the river today.

August 9, 1848

The wagon got stuck in the mud. Had to double-team the animals.

August 11, 1848

[name] [have/has] a bad cold. We’re going to rest here awhile.

August 12, 1848

Got a late start; passed Castle Butte.

Starfire caught a cold in the middle of August. How do we have no water when next to a river?

August 14, 1848

Arrived at Givens Hot Springs.

August 16, 1848

The mosquitoes are driving us crazy, keeping us awake at night. We must continue.

August 19, 1848

After much travail, we came to East Cow Hollow.

Approached Final Snake River Crossing today. Some people in our wagon train are very tired of the journey.

Made it to East Cow Hollow.

In good spirits today; got as far as Lytle Pass.

August 20, 1848

Arrived at Malheur River.

August 21, 1848

Another step on the trail; today we reached Farewell Bend.

August 23, 1848

Sore feet today, but I’ll manage. Saw Burnt River Canyon.

August 25, 1848

Mr. Lumare figured we would reach Flagstaff Hill today, and he was right.

August 27, 1848

Today I saw Grande Ronde River.

Finally a problem. Thanks to roleplaying Beast Boy’s diet we have no meat and only have dried fruit, and beans left, but we are near the end.

August 28, 1848

Broke a wagon wheel today. We will try to repair it.

We were unable to make the repair.

We were able to replace it from supplies.

August 29, 1848

Guy made of machines cannot fix a wagon wheel. We still have a spare.

August 30, 1848

Saw Emigrant Springs, sight is most reassuring.

August 31, 1848

Encamped a while near Deadman Pass.

September 1, 1848

In good spirits today; got as far as Doe Canyon.

September 2, 1848

The ox yoke broke, and I decided to try to repair it.

We were unable to make the repair.

We were able to replace it from supplies.

September 3, 1848

We ran short of water and I am suffering from thirst. We will rest here awhile.

Apparently Cyborg cannot fix anything.

September 4, 1848

A very sad day, Raven has died of thirst. We will provide a proper burial.

Felt somewhat weary today. Passed Umatilla Valley.

Dick died.

9 Likes

Bravo @MatthewHecht! totally love the Oregon trail game and while reading it, for some reason I got to thinking this was some Teen Titans GO episode. :rofl:

3 Likes

I think TTG did do an Oregon trail like segment on the show once but you’ll have to check my math on that. :thinking:

4 Likes

Do they ever end an episode with Dick’s death?

3 Likes

Honestly I haven’t watched Teen Titans go for some time, but I wouldn’t put it pass them. I think there was a episode where they cause the death of members of the Justice League. :laughing:

3 Likes

They did! Robin stuck them in the computer and forced them to do the Oregon Trail. However, everytime a Titan died, they partied with the other Titans while Robin grumbled a lot and eventually died of dysentery.

4 Likes

All you have to do with dysentery is rest for 5 days. Assuming you are eating filling meals and have all 5 members that is 75 lbs of food. Assuming of course they were playing the original version.

The real problem is snake bites. You have no idea if they are poisonous or not.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Oh good I’m not the only person that does this.

2 Likes

Yep. Now I remember. :+1:

5 Likes

I play Oregon Trail with zombies its really good.

3 Likes

When I joined, I was told there would be no math.

4 Likes

@Samsonkillingtime @DC89 @BatMike-ThePunisher I decided to check that episode.

For one the game is very fun. It is all about dealing with chaos.

I think they are playing classic. I played Oregon Trail 5. It once took me 15 months (I lost all my oxen and had to trade for more), and I have done it in less than 3 months.

Robin is right about Y or N. They did not say which one but they are playing on either medium (carpenter) or hard (farmer) difficulty. Yes, in almost all versions you can eat your oxen, but I hardly ever have to do that. Apparently Robin thinks they suck at food management.

Contrary to what Robin said there are no dangers you need to fight off with a shotgun, but if you ask people they will all say you are in danger.

Dumb move starting on a steady pace Robin. Your guys start rested, so you start on strenuous. I almost always go on strenuous all game.

3:49 is the first major mistake, since you basically have to choose how long you rest (if you do) for an injury. Normally 3 days does the trip. They never said how long they rested for.

Robin is right you do not want to get caught in Winter, but unless they left late in the year it is not hard to make it in August. Then again he is going on a steady pace when he should be moving faster.

They run out of food, which happens when you move too slow. Cyborg’s shoes were stolen. In classic it just means they steal clothes which is a big deal.

I just realized they only have one ox. You can only buy them in 2s. I normally even on the hardest difficulty buy at least 8, since you cannot find more on the trail.

To save bullets I always stop at 100 (either one buffalo/bear or 2 deer). Maybe Robin wasted all his money on bullets instead of doing that. Assuming they are on meager rations that is food for 10 days (one was spent hunting), so they will be out in 9 days.

I like how they captured all the bad things normally happen to one guy. Snake bites are the worst.

Even for somebody like me who plays this game a lot I rarely get all 5 people to Oregon City on classic.

I see Robin’s problem is he only took one oxen so he moved too slow.

The waterfall is not in classic, but they are in 2 and 5 (also Yukon Trail).

Robin made it with nothing (that is not even possible). Assuming he played on the hardest difficulty he got 600 points, which is pretty good for an amateur. Actually that is really good. It normally takes more trial and error to make it and then survive rafting down The Dalles.

5 Likes

I’ve never beat Oregon Trail plus zombies.
I played with my two sims, jason todd, batman, and myself.
Batman threw our guns out of the station wagon.
jason wasted bullets.
everyone kept trying to buy batman for food because he looks strong.
and I’m like no game I’m not selling batman for food even if you did cost us our guns.
then the game says for no apparent reason you wondered away from the camp fire at night jason and batman saved you but they were both fatally wounded and died.
UHgggg!

5 Likes

:disappointed:

I apologize that the day of my birth was also the day of destruction for the team. This is when the Titans wake up from their dreams, fueled by a night of heavy pizza and video gaming. Whew!! That was a weird one. :ox:

4 Likes

:laughing:

4 Likes

Beauty-of-maths GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

5 Likes

C’mon guys, math is fun lol

3 Likes

@MatthewHecht I think you like Oregon Trail plus zombies. It has fishing and car fixing
and trading and scavenging and odd jobs.

2 Likes

What’s that? Like, “Your entire family was eaten alive. You died of Dysentery.”

3 Likes