The Superman Thread

You read my mind. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Silver Banshee wins.

4 Likes

I have thoughts on this but I will save them for the future.

4 Likes

Unrelated to some of the above conversations, but what did everyone think of the year of the villain arc Superman had? I’ve always thought he’s best when he’s “the best of us,” and too much of the recent narrative has been chaos for chaos’ sake (other characters fare better in that setting).

5 Likes

Didn’t read any year of the villain. Wasn’t a fan of ‘Martian Lex’. To me, Luthor coming to the conclusion that having a Martian body would be an improvement is very un-Luthor like.

4 Likes

I believe this will be the next fare for the Late Night Watchalong(s) after Static (there was a vote). We are currently finishing up Beware the Batman. I watched the first episode of the R.S. Very 80s. A very good version of Lex.

5 Likes

Do you mean the specific Year of the Villain issues in Action Comics, or Bendis’ run in general?

Year of the Villain, quite honestly, has been one of my least favorite DC events. The sole reason is it seemed like it wandered aimlessly. Lex Luthor recruiting villains across all the DC books. Ok. That’s the only part of the story that I remember. It felt disjointed, overly long and never ending, and very disruptive to the individual narratives of the books that took part in it, Action Comics included.

As for Bendis’ work on character, I’m probably part of a minority on DCU that has really enjoyed his work. It’s actually high on my list of favorite Superman books. I’ve been pretty vocal about it on various other threads.

2 Likes

I think Bendis can do great things. I can look at his crime work like Torso and Jinx and see the influence it has had him on his superhero stories. The one thing that is against him is his writing style. He was at Marvel for so long that I often wonder if people associate his style to Marvel. I know people can be split in the DC vs Marvel war and I wonder if this is a byproduct. I might be thinking too deep into it, but from the limited books Superman books I have read I have enjoyed his writing.

2 Likes

Agreed. His whole thing is he has to win as a human.

2 Likes

And he despises aliens.

1 Like

Often he simply hates what he cannot control. If he could control Superman he would love him.

3 Likes

John Byrne tested that theory in Fantastic Four 249 & 250 with Gladiator who was a Superman analog. Gladiator used his strength to lift the Baxter Building even though it should have crumbled. This led Reed to figure out he was using Pyrokinesis, Telekinesis, and Levitation to create his “super” powers.

He brought those ideas with him when he came to DC to reboot Superman.

4 Likes

I love this! I mean, telekinesis is no more believable than super strength, but I appreciate the acknowledgment and the attempt to somehow explain how that works.

5 Likes

In Byrne’s The Man of the Steel, this was what started Lex’s hatred for Superman. He tried ordering him around like he could with most everyone else in Metropolis, and that didn’t work. :stuck_out_tongue:
Lex’s character in Year of the Villain has seemed odd to me. Both his bonding with an alien and being so subservient to someone else seem very out of character to me. I like character growth and taking characters to new places, but that just seemed like a bit too different for my taste.

4 Likes

Agreed.

3 Likes

I don’t know. Luthor always struck me as a character that is all about having absolute power. The Lex Luthor we see in Scott Snyder’s Justice League is one who’s had a “religious” experience, having flocked to Perpetua and her predatory ways. This led him to believe that beings in our multiverse hadn’t evolved into what they were supposed to be: apex predators. It was all wrong, humans, martians, all of it. Hence the transformation. He even shed his fortunes in the process. I took it as an allegory to the dark paths that extreme (very extreme) religious beliefs can lead to. He was a brainwashed Luthor that paid the price in the process. Wasn’t your typical Lex Luthor for sure, but I thought it was a ton of fun to read.

Disclaimer: This post is not anti-religion. Just an attempt at explaining what I understood from that comic :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hey everyone! I can’t contain my excitement and you’ll actually understand so I have to tell you the most exciting news! My husband got me an old iPad just for reading my comics and I named it Kelex! I will never call this thing an iPad, it shall only be referred to as Kelex.

Also, holy crap comics on a bigger screen is blowing my mind right now! :superman_hv_5:

7 Likes

Indeed… tablets are perfect devices for comics consumption :slightly_smiling_face:. Congrats on the iPad… ehem… Kelex!

6 Likes
3 Likes

I thought it was an iPad named Kelex. Like my Garmin GPS is named Donna. My last one was Steve.

4 Likes