The Superman Thread

Well would you look at that!

3 Likes

I came to appreciate Andy Kubert by the end of the miniseries, but there definitely times I think faces or poses seem off.

2 Likes

Inspired by our friend, @Bar-El, I spent a large portion of my weekend watching animated Superman movies. (My family was out of town, so I had lots of free time.) So I’m going to attempt a ranking here (best to worst):

1. All-Star Superman
  2. Superman Unbound
  3. The Death of Superman
  4. Superman vs. the Elite
  5. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
  6. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
  7. Reign of the Supermen
  8. Superman: Man of Tomorrow
  9. Superman: Red Son

I know there’s also Superman: Doomsday, but I didn’t get around to rewatching it, and I think I’ve pretty well replaced it with Death and Reign in my brain at this point. I’m pretty set on #1 and #9, but honestly I like all nine of these, and those middle slots are pretty flexible. I’m going with this order for today at least.

Anybody else want to attempt a ranking or name your favorite(s)?

7 Likes
  1. Reign of the Supermen
  2. Superman vs. The Elite
  3. Doomsday
  4. Public Enemies
  5. Death of Superman
  6. Superman Unbound
  7. Superman Red Son
  8. Man of Tomorrow
  9. All-Star
  10. Apokalips
5 Likes

I also need to rewatch Doomsday, it’s been too long to remember it well enough so I’m leaving it out of my ranking.

1. All-Star
  2. Vs. the Elite
  3. Apocalypse
  4. Red Son
  5. Public Enemies
  6. Unbound
  7. Man of Tomorrow
  8. Death
  9. Reign

My rating criteria is based off #1 does it leave me feeling enlightened, #2 how often do I want to watch it, and #3 action quality, I like me some fights!
:fist_left: :stuck_out_tongue: :fist_right:

5 Likes

@Bar-El, even though we had to find some “funny stuff” to pick up our sad feels afterwards. :rofl: :rofl: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Well half of his animated movies has him “die” or “dead”! HALF! That’s ridiculous! :sneezing_face:

4 Likes

@Bar-El completely agree.
But we made the best of it. :sunglasses: :+1: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

@bigblock66 whats your rating for the Supes animated movies?

4 Likes

@Bar-El, well, I’d honestly have to rank them as the following:

• All-Star (although sad)

• Public Enemies

• Apocalypse

• Vs the Elite

• Unbound

• Red Son

• Man of Tomorrow

• Death

• Reign

• (Honorary Mention - Superman / Shazam - Return of Black Adam) :wink:

I’ve always had a soft spot for Public Enemies, and I love how Superman goes beast-mode in Apocalypse, and All-Star is more like a love-letter to the Man of Steel.

4 Likes

Ah nice list, I would wedge Sups/Shaz above Unbound in my list even though I love the comic even more the movie was really cool with the two of them teaming up!

3 Likes

And a great mood lifter after All Star. :metal:t3::hugs::wink:

3 Likes

I’ve shared this elsewhere, but it feels right for this thread too:

I started a Superman figure collection this year.

I had a couple of figures (General Zod I found for $10 years ago, a Solaris I commissioned in 2019, and a Todd McFarlane Superman):

…but that was the extent of it. I’d say the bug really hit me after I bought a custom Doomsday and got both the Alex Ross Toyman and the Animated Series version. That was in late December and early January of this year.

I’m a person who takes things to the extreme, so it hit me this morning how far I’ve come along in a relatively short time. Here’s the last picture I took, about a week ago:

And since that time, I’ve added

Steel:

Darkseid:

I’m repainting a Business Suit Lex Luthor:

And last night, I finished work on my first custom- Manchester Black:

8 Likes

@TheTerrificToyman I’m jealous. :sunglasses::+1::star::star::star:

3 Likes

Fantastic collection! I love the custom Solaris and Manchester Black.

4 Likes

Woah that Solaris figurine is spectacular! :sun_with_face:

4 Likes

Screenshot_20210623-181610_Infinite

:sun_with_face:

5 Likes

1- Death of Superman & Reign of the Supermen
2- Superman: Man of Tomorrow
3- Superman Unbound
4- Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
5- All Star Superman
6- Superman Batman Public Enemies
7- Superman vs the Elite
8- Superman: Red Son

I like ‘em all, but if I had to rank ‘em, that would be it. The Death & Return two parter have to go together, in my eyes, and were one of my favorite Superman experiences on the screen. Red Son was a good movie. It just takes a long minute to adjust to seeing Supes in that garb.

4 Likes

Wonderful collection @TheTerrificToyman. Love that Steel figure. Gotta get me one of those!

3 Likes

Always a good hair day when this little guy makes an appearance. Better hide it while my glasses are on! :clark_hv_4:

8 Likes