Ed McGuinness

Tim Sale

Frank Quitely

Stuart Immonen

Shane Davis

Ardian Syaf

Aluir Amancio

Art Baltazar

Most of those worked on mini-series and/or didn’t draw a whole lot of Superman issues.

When I picture Superman, I probably think of images by Swan, Jurgens, and Frank first. Jimenez is my new favorite. Please, DC, put Jimenez on a monthly Superman title.

Also, I would love to get more Superman collections like these with more of the artists we’ve named:

Print books like that, and take all my money, DC!

6 Likes

Nice picks. Love the art in Earth One, especially Adrian Syaf’s. I like when an artist takes the time to show the seams and creases in a costume.

4 Likes

Read Superman Red & Blue #2 a couple weeks ago, but haven’t gotten around to posting about it.

This one has more action oriented stories compared to the first one. We see Val-Zod battle space aliens with Krypto. What’s with talking Krypto in a mech suit by the way? Is that a thing from the Earth 2 comics? I kinda like it :joy:. I had never read a Val-Zod comic before, but I dug this. Costume looks good, all the powers on full display, and we to see some of this Superman’s confident personality. I like this end shot in particular:

“I have an S on my chest!”. Love the attitude :slightly_smiling_face:.

Another standout is the one with Lex Luthor, using a special sample of manipulated red kryptonite to take down Superman, and failing to do so time & again. Seeing Clark & Lex go at it in a boxing ring, with Clark handing out a lesson in toughness was a fun bit.

Then there was the final story depicting a battle between Superman & Cyborg Superman. We get a little bit of Superman’s trademark intelligence in a fight, and his insistence trying to “save everyone”. The art, and the red & blue theme in particular, really pop on this one.

5 stories altogether, but those were my favorites. Overall a more dynamic issue than the previous one, and a very solid one at that. I like what they’re doing. A nice variety of approaches to Superman.

Speaking as someone who had never read the Earth 2 comics, I’m glad this introduced me to Val-Zod. Slowly, but very surely, becoming accepting of this multiple Supermen business. DC is doing a good job of integrating that into current comics. Issue #1 of Infinite Frontier: Secret Files included a story about Calvin Ellis, another worthwhile read that I may comment on later. Between those & Jon, I’m getting more & more used to the idea of multiple super powered heroes wearing the S on their chests.

4 Likes

Y’all may have already seen this but they are going to hold the Superman Celebration this year July 30 - August 1 in Metropolis Illinois. https://www.supermancelebration.net/

3 Likes

This is one of those locations that I’d like to visit someday. Take a picture with the big ol’ Supes statue and take a tour of the Superman museum & gift shop. Seems like a quaint little town too. Given family and work though, probably not happening for me till I retire :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

We should all meet up one day! Maybe for Superman’s 90th or something like that. I’d bet one of those milestone years would be epic!

4 Likes

I stopped in Metropolis one day about 5 years ago. I was on my way home from Florida. There was nothing special going on, but I got to see the big Superman statue and walk through the Super Museum. I’d highly recommend it if you can make it work sometime.

6 Likes

I’m saving up to buy a brick so when I do go back to visit some day I can try and find it!

5 Likes

That would be very cool.

4 Likes

New Superman Vs Lobo comic announced, and it’s a Black Label book. Excited for this. I like Lobo. The few things I’ve read/watched with him in it… he makes me laugh… and he’s a pretty good foil for Supes.

5 Likes

I’m definitely intrigued. Lobo is a good contrast to Superman. I’m sure we’ll see Superman let loose in this story!

5 Likes

“Let loose” is the term I was searching for in my head when I posted this. With it being a Black Label book, I hope this is especially true for Lobo.

3 Likes

Lobo in a Black Label book? Sign me up! Though I’m a little conflicted because part of me wants to see him curse for real, but another part of me wants to see him stick w/ his usual trademark language. Frag it, why not both?

Edit: Totally forgot I commented this. Considering I couldn’t even finish the 1st issue I hated it so much, I’d say this hasn’t aged well

4 Likes

Oh great, he gets stuck with my least favorite comic book character of all time. That’s one Superman book I can skip.

DC now 0 for 2 in getting me to buy a Black Label Superman series.

2 Likes

I wonder what that would be for me? Probably a Batman villain… never given it much thought​:thinking:

2 Likes

Mine is Rick Flagg.

3 Likes

I might be hated after this but mine is John Constantine.

4 Likes

From SS? Don’t have an opinion on him, tbh. Need to read the comics before I form one.

Keeping with the theme in this thread, I would say my least favorite Superman related character is probably Bizarro. I don’t hate him, I just finding reading his dialogue to be really annoying… and the visual with the backwards S very distracting. There was an arc in Superman Rebirth where they visit a Bizarro universe… oof was that a chore to read.

4 Likes

Ironicly Bizarro is by leaps and bounds my favorite Superman character. If I was put in charge of the franchise I know I would make the mistake of turning Clark into a side character as everything revolves around B-0

3 Likes