The Superman Thread

Fun fact: Superboy Prime is also from the area. He’s seen on Hampton Beach in his first appearance in DC Comics Presents #87 and Jetpack Comics (as “Jet” Comics) even makes a cameo in his story from Adventure Comics (2009-2011) #4.

4 Likes

I found this at my local Half Price Books the other day:

I always forget how much I loved this run. I had a lot of fun reading these issues as they came out.

How did you all feel about this era of Superman comics??

6 Likes

I actually didn’t care for the art style at first, but now when I see it, it’s nostalgic for me. Usually like loeb’s writing as well.

4 Likes

Swell! I need to swing by my HPB and peruse their back issues.

The early '00s stuff? I love it, especially Loeb and McGuinness’s run on Superman.

As for the DC Comics Presents books, I loved those too and bought nearly all of them as they dropped at retail (I’ve long since sold them, however).

4 Likes

This week’s action and adventure in the swell and sensational Superman way:

What do we think, :superman:uper-fans?

3 Likes

I haven’t checked out McGuinness’ solo Superman books, but I did love his work on Superman Batman. Like @Aquamon said, the art didn’t grab me at first, but once I started reading it grew on me really quick. Still not my favorite art style, but I do enjoy it quite a bit.

6 Likes

Superman/Batman is the title that made me a McGuinness fan.

For those who enjoyed Loeb and McGuinness on Superman/Batman, you’ll likely love their run on Superman, which began here:

5 Likes

In my Comixolgy account ready to read. Will post my thoughts later today :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Something to consider- these books at the time read like triangle era Superman. So a story would begin in Superman, then continue over into Action Comics, Adventures of Superman, and Superman: Man of Steel. Reading only the Loeb/McGuiness issues are still fun, but you might get a few cliffhangers that seem like they were dropped or forgotten from issue to issue, when its really just that they were resolved in another book.

6 Likes

In addition to Adventures, are you in on Shazam as well?

Its Waid and Mora…

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip (very good to know), but I was answering @Vroom’s inquiry about the Jon Kent book :slightly_smiling_face:.

Still very slowly making my way through Triangle Era Supes. I’m only managing a few issues a month, so it’s moving at a glacial pace. I’ll probably skip ahead to the early 2000s stuff at some point, so your advice there will come in handy.

5 Likes

I’ve found that reading issue to issue with one title in the Triangle Era can still work, so long as you are okay with missing certain plot points and are looking to enjoy each issue for what it has to offer on its own merits.

I’ve read the full Loeb/McGuinness run of Superman within its proper Triangle Era context and on its own and enjoyed it just fine, either way.

Sure, the issue to issue way was enjoyable because I had already read the issues of Action, Adventures and TMOS that Superman featured alongside, but on their own, those issues of Superman were Jim-dandy entertainments as well.

4 Likes

On the fence. I’m back to being current on most of my reads, so the monthly comics expense is building up. Shazam was never of real interest to me, but Waid & Mora, and the awesomeness that is Dawn Of DC can change that.

3 Likes

I liked Shazam #1 quite a bit.

Shazam drank tea with alien dinosaurs, which completely reminded me of the TV series Dinosaucers.

5 Likes

Well, it wasn’t the Superman revamp I would’ve wanted in 2000, but it was alright! Loeb revived some concepts that had been dormant since Crisis and he definitely gave quite a few interesting plot points to Lex. In fact, I’d say he revived the Superman/Luthor feud which had kind of lost steam by the late 90’s. I think some of the Loeb material is a bit overhyped, but it’s all pretty solid. Batman/Superman probably does overshadow it, but it’s all in all good stuff.

5 Likes

Something has to be my least favorite era of Superman comics and 1999-2003 is it.

5 Likes

cough Superman/Batman. cough :wink:

Mmm, pardon. I need a Soder for this cough.

cracks open a frosty can of Sour Apple Soder and chugs 'er down, pinky out

That’s the schtuff! :yum:

5 Likes

Shrugs

I can live with this mistake considering the “title” of the book was just their symbols and the fact that passively assuming DC gave Batman top billing would be correct 9 out of 10 times.

5 Likes

In the interests of technical accuracy, “Superman/Batman” appears on the upper left side on every cover of every issue of the series (Superman/Batman: Secret Files and Origins being the sole exception) and in the legal fine print in the back of every print issue, while DCUI lists it as “Superman/Batman”.

When the series debuted 20 years ago this August, I too called it “Batman/Superman”.

However, those were the days when Batman was my #1 favorite and I honestly thought the title was interchangeable before I ultimately realized its accurate moniker.

Pound for pound, I think the best title to feature “Batman/Superman” (and no, not “Superman/Batman” in this case :wink:) in its title is easily Batman/Superman: World’s Finest.

Can I get a “Whoa, Bundy!” on that?

holds out an outstretched hand

3 Likes

If there’s a series you don’t need to remember the title of, or remember at all, it’s Batman/Superman.

3 Likes