The Superman Thread

I have yet to hear anyone rant about this. My counter for this would be in season 2 of YJ after they recover an unconscious Superman when the bomb went off killing the scavenger aliens. Connor says something along the lines of how Superman isn’t going to like that he couldn’t save said aliens.

this made more sense post the Kill Bill monologue.

I always got a kick out of the 4th wall breaking wink at the end of most 1966 New Adventures of Superman segments (stories? vignettes?).

4 Likes
4 Likes

:thinking:
Phillip Kennedy Johnson just started his run. Is this the big Superman event he was teasing? Will he just be doing Action Comics going forward? Interesting that it would involve two other writers.

• Discontinuing “Superman” gives me the feels, and not in a good way. I’m sure they could have brought another writer on to continue the book.

• Tom Taylor writing Superman is a good thing. The man knows how to tell a story you can’t put down, is generally liked by the fans, and has expressed interest in writing Superman for a while now.

• Morrison on Superman is also good. Just hope it’s All-Star Superman Morrison, not The Green Lantern Morrison.

• Looks like Future State is happening a lot sooner than anticipated :joy:.

4 Likes

That’s definitely been the case in the Batman world – the Magistrate is being created right there.

I’m guessing that in both Metropolis and Gotham, some things will come to pass, but not all.

2 Likes

Any Morrison Superman title, I’m all in. And I’m enjoying Phillip Kennedy Johnson on Superman, so I’m sad to see him dropped to just Action Comics, but I’ll take what I can get.

Hard pass for me. I despise the Injustice series of stories, and wasn’t a fan of DCeased either. So this story will just be one I miss out on.

4 Likes

I recognize the man’s talent and stature as a comic book writer… even listed him as one of my favorite Superman writers up there :point_up_2:. It’s just… I sometimes have no idea what’s happening when reading his books. Felt that way with The Green Lantern and Multiversity.

3 Likes

He mentioned in an interview a while back that someone else would be taking over one of the books right after the big event, and that Mikel Janin would be the artist he collaborated with on said event. However, Janin will be working with Morrison. Looks like maybe some of the plans have changed since that interview.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I’m with you. Superman has been published since basically the time Batman was created. Why would DC discontinue the book? I love Jon Kent, but this makes me nervous about DC’s plans for Superman. I’m still not totally over Jurgens and Tomasi/Gleason getting abruptly dumped for Bendis. This doesn’t help me feel better.

That being said, I do love Morrison’s Superman work. While I dislike the basic premise of Injustice (no more evil and/or dictator Supes for this guy), I think Taylor will do a good job with Superman. His take in DCeased was very good in my opinion. I guess we’ll see.

4 Likes

Have you tried Red Son? It is dictator Superman, but benevolent dictator Superman who is portrayed as the underdog against evil and OP Batman.

3 Likes

I respect Red Son. It’s not my favorite though. Same with Kingdom Come. I know a lot of people love both of those. But Superman reconditioning people or building metahuman prisons isn’t for me. I don’t think it’s invalid or anything like that. I’m glad others enjoy these stories. They’re just not my thing.

2 Likes

This new Superman podcast is great. Latest episode is an in depth interview with Phillip Kennedy Johnson about his work on Superman. I really like his vision for the character and look forward to what he has in store.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation!

4 Likes

Hey everyone, in case you’re interested we just finished the first Superman/Batman: Public Enemies watch party and it was a blast! We’re starting the next segment for May and thought I’d put it out there if you’d like to join us!

4 Likes

Mount Rushmore? I’d have a hard enough time limiting it to a Supreme Court of 9!

Jerry Siegel: Still he deserves to go first. In addition to all the others mentioned, he created Superboy. I agree that he has strong runs in both the Golden and Silver Ages.

Otto Binder: The Silver Age engine who brought so much to the table.

Elliott S! Maggin: Superman’s best writer of the 1970s and the all time greatest writer for Lex Luthor. In addition to the comics he also wrote two excellent novels, Superman: Last Son of Krypton and Miracle Monday.

Dan Jurgens: The key man in the triangle era which had its peak from 1990-1993.
the man just delivered month after month and he was drawing the book too.

Grant Morrison: All-Star, Final Crisis , JLA, Calvin Ellis, he gets the scope of what a Superman story is supposed to be.

Mark Millar: And I don’t think Red Son is his best work! For me, his best work is the twenty issues of Superman Adventures he did. He also gave us Huck.

Geoff Johns: A great run on the Super Books including a new origin and bringing back the Legion.

Kurt Busiek: His run on the Super Books at the same time might even have been better. He also gave us Superman: Secret Identity.

Alan Moore: He didn’t write much, but it was pure gold. His run on Supreme gave us a glimpse of how he’d do Superman monthly.

Mark Waid: JLA, Birthright and Kingdom Come are his resume. He also did my favorite evil Superman story with Irredeemable.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
John Bryne
Roger Stern
Jerry Ordway
Cary Bates
Leo Dorfman
Bill Finger
Edmond Hamilton
Marv Wolfman
Brain Michael Bendis
Greg Pak
Martin Pasko

5 Likes

These are some great picks.

I really enjoy Maggin. I’ve never read the novels though. I should track those down.

I love Millar on Superman Adventures. So good.

Totally agree with you on Johns.

I absolutely adore Secret Identity. I really need to get around to reading Busiek’s monthly run.

I considered Moore myself. He didn’t write much officially for the character, but wow did he write some fantastic Superman stories.

I really hope that Waid gets a shot to write an ongoing Superman title in the not-too-distant future.

Great honorable mentions, too! I would also give a shout-out to
Louise Simonson
Karl Kesel
Jeph Loeb
Joe Kelly
Mark Schultz
Art Baltazar & Franco
Peter J. Tomasi & Pat Gleason

4 Likes

AWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH!

I knew I’d forget something. The Tiny Titans crew’s work on Superman of Smallville was out of sight.

2 Likes

Definitely!

Have you read their Superman Family Adventures and/or the follow up Super Powers? They’re also great.

4 Likes

Read them as they came out, stellar all ages fun.

As my man Mel Mounds once said, “They were rightous, delightous and out of sightous!”

5 Likes

About half way through the first Golden Age omnibus. Have to say, as much as I love the character, these are slow reads for me. While he fights for social justice, Clark is kind of a jerk in these stories, roughing people up and tossing them around willy nilly. Lois isn’t very likable either; treats Clark like crap while fawning over Superman. This is not to mention how simplistic the characterization and dialog feels, after being used to current comics. I understand of course the historical significance of the Golden Age… it’s where comics as we know them started… they are a product of their time. It’s also fascinating to see how long the writing and art have come over the course of 80+ years. What’s funny is, with the right treatment, I can see some of these stories adapted into some good live action or animated period pieces. I will continue reading… albeit very slowly :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes