The Superman Thread

Hey Superfans.

Came to highlight a short I read in Superman Red & Blue #5. It’s the first time that a comic moves me close to tears. No I didn’t cry, but I got the feels, a lot of ‘em. It’s called “Generations”, beautifully written and drawn by Daniel Warren Johnson. Spoilers ahead.

Jonathan Kent talks to his pastor in church. He confesses ambivalence as to what to do as a father, a role he’s never played before. The pastor tells him to always remind his son how much he loves him and how proud he is of him. From there, the words in each panel are just “I love you” and “I’m proud of you”. Time and time again, as Clark grows up, this is reinforced in his mind and heart by Jonathan. Jonathan passes, and time & time again we see Clark repeating those same words to the people he saves and cares for… until we see Clark hovering above the world and saying it to everyone.

The words are spare and the concept is simple, but the result is potent. Not only did this story make me think about the role nurture plays in making Clark the hero that he is, but it also made me examine my relationship with my children. I love them to death, and they know that, but I should probably say it more. Kids, if you ever find yourself reading this: I love you and I’m proud of you, and you’ll be hearing it a lot more from me.

11 Likes