The Sandman: Official Series Discussion (Spoilers!)

Happy DCversary, @Jitsu!

I have a couple episodes left. Enjoying the world building and mythology of it all. Also enjoying the cinematic production values. I’ve never read the comic, but have no trouble following along.

Some of it is a bit on the dark side for my own personal taste, but it’s intriguing nonetheless, different from any other show I’ve watched recently.

1 Like

I’m two episodes into the series, and i really like it. It reminds me of a cross between Jim Hensen’s Labrynth, the works of stephen King, the first Matrix film, and Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange.

I also wanted to mention a thought that occurred to me with regards to the present-day version of Jenna Coleman’s Johanna Constantine that we briefly see in Episode 2.

Neil Gaiman has said that she’s not a genderbent version of John, and I agree; instead, I think she’s an Expy along the lines of the cast of Watchmen or, from Star Trek, Kira Nerys and Tom Paris.

2 Likes

And his exit as well. That’s always been one of my favorite moment in comics, his response to Lucifer asking why they should let him leave.

3 Likes

She is definitely a Constantine, though.

3 Likes

I am still, STILL bugged about episode one, where Morpheus basically rolled up to the home(s) of a dysfunctional family and then shot their dog. So to speak.

1 Like

Yes, 100%! Really loved that line, and being able to see Lucifer’s face as he said it was pretty fantastic.

3 Likes

I might have cried at this scene. My sister saw me watching something on my computer and crying, and she tried to see if I was okay. I had to tell her to just go away. Once the episode ended I explained it.

It was sort of funny afterwards. But that was a very sad moment in the show.

Though, I did like how Morpheus tried to fix it by giving them the egg. It doesn’t fix everything, but it is a nice gesture. And, Gregory was a nice foreshadow of Nightmares being able to become Dreams. A lesson Morpheus had to learn this season.

4 Likes

I don’t understand the intent of this comment.

I believe that the present-day version of Johanna is an Expy of John because she has a similar background to him and fills the same role in Dream’s story, but is simultaneously a separate and distinct character, in the same way that Tom Paris and Kira Nerys have similar backgrounds to the characters of Nick Locarno and Ro Laren, respectively, but are distinct and separate characters in their own right.

1 Like

I’m just saying she’s definitely acting like a member of the family. Definitely the kind of person who will give you a wink and walk off into the fog, with the Ace of Winchesters hidden neatly under her coat and a buyer waiting.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, because i was genuinely confused about what you were trying to say.

3 Likes

Episode 5 was pretty intense! But overall still enjoying the series.

1 Like

Just finished season 1 and loved it. A little sad we didn’t get to see the martian God of Dreams and definitely hurt there was no Etrigan but it was great seeing Lyta and Death.

3 Likes

Johanna is without a doubt a gender-bent John, she even has her own Astra.

2 Likes

Just got done with episode 4. I also loved the ‘fight’. It was very cleverly made and Lucifer’s anti-life rebuttal was awesome. I knew what Dream was going to say without even knowing much about the lore. It’s such a DC thing lol, ‘Hope’.

6 Likes

Glad you liked the “fight”, I wasn’t a big fan of it, too D&D, LOL.

1 Like

This “fight” was one of my favorite scenes of the entire show. I love the rivalry they have!

4 Likes

I just finished the season and it was great, but I didn’t like the second half that much. Lucifer as a possible next season Big Bad is also something I don’t like, Lucifer isn’t a villain in the comics.

1 Like

Antagonists are not the same thing as villains.

1 Like

I think it was one of the most interesting ways to have a fight tbh. Actually super happy they decided to go with an out of the box idea!

5 Likes

Right, and Lucifer is often viewed as an antagonist in that 'verse - even when their aims actually align with others. So, interesting potential direction.

2 Likes