The Reviews are Rolling in for Aquaman

I think Rotten Tomatoes is a useful rating aggregator. I imagine the studios HATE It, though.

I always look at that and user reviews on IMDB, I enjoy reading other fans and folks perspectives. Itā€™s all subjective

1 Like

no i dont let reviews like rotten tomatoes or any other reviewer judge a movie because 1.their not buying my ticket to see the movie
2.they play favorites i think the only DC movie they gave a good rating was wonder woman
3.we all have our OWN opinion on a great to horrible movie we can rate it on our own i dont let these reviewers get to me if they find me dumb so be it until they pay my ticket to see any movie than ill start listen to their reviews

2 Likes

So glad thereā€™s not actually a lot of people ghat let others determine what to watch or not. Well at least not on here

4 Likes

I think ā€œgoodā€ in a movie is ultimately subjective.

The only sense of objective good is to be found in the average/median value of all viewers, but that measurement is only truly helpful in the absence of other information about your own preferences, i.e. This is one of the first movies you watch. Then it might be of statistical value.

So what about reviewers? In my opinion they are at best another guys opinion. That best case scenario is most usually found among enthusiast reviewers. If you manage to find someone with a taste halfway similar to your own that has early access to movies, that is about as good as the review scenario gets.

The cancerous version of reviews is most likely found among professional reviewers. Thatā€™s when their livelyhood starts to depend on their reviews. Those are more likely to be swayed for non-noble reasons, including fear of losing opportunities to early access or for having the wrong opinion. It is the unhealthy pack that ends up putting out similar reviews, and putting themselves in a situation where the point of their existence is dependant on the myth of the objective good.

In a sort of cosmic comedy their best way of reaching out currently - rotten tomatoes - is also the best way to disprove the notion of a meaningful objective good. The difference between critics opinions and the common conception of what constitues good are often painfully obvious.

I think Sheldon is best paraphrased here:
Itā€™s not that what you are measuring is wrong. Itā€™s that what you are measuring isnā€™t worth measuring.

So with those opinion stated, Iā€™m going to watch Aquaman, not because of any reviews, but through a lifetime of movie watching that ended up with the following conclusion:

Superhero in movie make Choville happy :blush:

4 Likes

Very very well said!

1 Like

It is definitely countdown time! Sun Dec 15th I get to see an early screening of Aquaman. On Dec 16th I will decide how it stands up against every DCU Film beginning with Man of Steel. DC films #1-6 best to worst.