The Obscurity of DC Club Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 12 (Sunday, April 24 - Saturday, April 30) -- COLLAPSER!

Hello @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 12 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

COLLAPSER!
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+

Number of Issues: 6

Description from dccomics.com: There’s a voice in the head of Liam James questioning everything he does—from his job at the nursing home to keeping his relationship with his girlfriend afloat. Liam suffers from anxiety, and the only thing that quiets it is music, which makes a weekly DJ gig his one saving grace. But Liam’s life changes forever when he receives a black hole in the mail (yes, you read that right), one that takes up residence in his chest, grants him insane superpowers, turns him into a celebrity and draws him into a cosmic conflict beyond his wildest imagination. Where did this black hole come from? Why Liam? Is power the cure? Or will superstardom turn Liam into a black hole himself? Find out in COLLAPSER, a superhero story that could only come from DC’s Young Animal!

With that over with, here are the discussion questions:

1. Do you think Liam should’ve been trusted with the black hole? Explain.
  2. Why do you think Liam’s mom never visited Liam?
  3. Why do you Liam works at a nursery home, when he realy just wants to be a DJ?
  4. Why do you think Mikey Way and Shaun Simon (the writers of the series) decided to make Liam’s parents the villains?
  5. Do you think Liam would make the sacrifices his mom made, in order to keep the world safe? Explain.

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

5 Likes

After a hiatus…I’m back! Digging into this now and love the selection as I’ve never heard of this character before.

5 Likes

he used to be my favorite!

4 Likes

DC’s Young Animal…for Mature Readers

Very confusing. I thought this was going to be a YA book but no. It is not.

One issue in and it’s good and intriguing.

3 Likes
  1. They claim he was “selected based on vast amounts of data and research” so we have to take them at their word but that seems hard to believe. This is clearly up for grabs to anyone in the universe and yet Liam, an anxiety filled wannabe DJ, is the best option? He just happens to be the son of the last two people to possess the black hole? Again - seems hard to believe. If they had inferred that there was something in his DNA that made him uniquely suited to possess and control the black hole then I’m all in but they didn’t. They claim they used data and research and Liam was the best option out of everyone. Ok…

2. The first thing that comes to mind is the old “I wanted to protect him” excuse and by staying away she kept him from becoming a part of her world, which was obviously chaotic and dangerous. But she clearly loved him and was heartbroken to give him up so you’d think she’d at least have checked in on him from time to time.

3. As an orphan he probably has a soft spot for those that have been abandoned by their families or forgotten. A lot of nursing home (not nursery - Poison Ivy and Swamp Thing might be better suited to work at a nursery home) residents fit that description so Liam may have been drawn there to help people like him feel less alone and to give him surrogate parents in the process.

4. In an orphan story the parents usually start off as villains. We may learn that they are the heroes, as is the case with Kal-El, but the orphan usually blames the parents to begin the story. I don’t know that Liam’s mother is the villain of this story at all. His father definitely is but the mother is a hero both to Liam and to the universe.

5. No. He would not abandon his friends because they are all he has. All he wants is to make things better for the world he knows and I don’t see any sacrifice in him. He wants to be a successful DJ with Jocelyn and Tripp - that’s it. In the final panels we see him doing exactly that and he seems very happy. Yes, he’ll fight evil IF it threatens his hometown or someone he loves but he’s not going to be another Green Lantern and put himself out there to save the universe.

2 Likes
  1. Oh god no! Does anyone remember the opening issue? He went outside in his boxers with a fake sword in fear of being attacked by a package delivery guy.
  2. I doubt she was allowed to. If she was working in another galaxy, I doubt her allies would let her fly home for however long just to watch her son grow up.
  3. I think he sees the patients almost as the parental figures he never had.
  4. I’ll be real here, I meant to say the father when I wrote the question lol. I think the fact that Liam’s dad was evil, just goes to show how good Liam is. If he was raised by his dad, he’d probably be a villain too. Knowing that his dad is evil probably shows Liam how lucky he is to have grown up away from Leon.

5. When he first started out, I highly doubt he would’ve made those sacrifices. That being said, at the end of the series, I felt like Liam would give everything to protect his friends.
1 Like