:stargirl: :stargirl: The New Golden Age Discussion Thread (SPOILERS) :stargirl: :stargirl:

The cover for Stargirl 5

The description has what sounds like a minor spoiler.

4 Likes

The only thing that is keeping me positive in regard to the current Catwoman run is the fact that Geoff created a (possible) Earth-0 Helena Wayne. so I am glad for that as she is keeping me sane. plus he is exploring time travel stories.

5 Likes

for the stargirl 5 cover, I see Little Boy Blue And The Blue Boys, and Little Miss Redhead.

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t think Tini Howard is in anyways involved with what Geoff Johns is doing

3 Likes

Less than 43 hours. :stargirl:

2 Likes

Only 176,160 more seconds.

4 Likes

So excited!

4 Likes

Only 61,800 more seconds.

2 Likes

Only 13,860 more seconds.

3 Likes

The new historical picture book is great. So much mystery and drama.

2 Likes

Based on the miraculo I am wondering if Matthew Tyler is involved. It has been a while since he got used.

2 Likes

The next chapter of The Golden Age is here!

Literally, right here! :point_down:t2: :nerd_face:

Whether you read it on DCUI or pick the mag up from your favorite comic spot (do both :wink:), be sure to sound-off on what you thought of the latest Golden Age adventure!

3 Likes

So, I opened up Stargirl: The Lost Children #2 and saw the Arrowcave and all its Green Arrow references and thought to myself: “Well, self, this looks exhausting.” It actually wasn’t THAT bad, but here we go:

I’m not going to spend too much time on the obvious statutes in the cave. There are statues of the original Seven Soldiers of Victory, Black Canary, and Hal Jordan, but we should all know who they are by now. Let’s talk about the more obscure references. First, the Arrow Cave and the Arrowcar first appeared along with Green Arrow and Speedy in More Fun Comics #73. The Arrowplane and the much-maligned Boxing Glove Arrow first appeared in Adventure Comics #118. Next to Black Canary is a statue of Miss Arrowette, the mother of Young Justice’s Arrowette, who first appeared in World’s Finest Comics #113. Behind Hal Jordan is the truck that Ollie and Hal rode around America in during the “Hard Traveling Heroes” story arc and it first appeared in Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76. In the upper-center, there’s a monument dedicated to the Green Arrows of the World which was apparently Ollie’s answer to the Batmen of All Nations. They first appeared in Adventure Comics #250.

We also have a group of statues dedicated to some classic Green Arrow villains: The Clock King (World’s Finest #111), Count Vertigo (World’s Finest #251), Rainbow Archer (Adventure Comics #246), Merlyn (Justice League of America #94), Bonzo the Ape Archer (World’s Finest #116), Crimson Archer (Adventure #259), Red Dart (World’s Finest #95), and Bull’s-Eye (World’s Finest #24). The hardest one for me to research was the archer in the back dressed in black and blue, but I’m pretty sure it’s Alias the Spider. The Spider was a Golden Age hero from Quality Comics who first appeared in Crack Comics #1. When he was worked into the DC Universe, he became an anti-hero/villain and was Post-Crisis retconned as Green Arrow’s replacement in the Seven Soldiers of Victory in Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #9. Of course, this could be that Spider’s son who was also a villainous archer, but I like it better if it’s the Golden Age Spider. That’s all I got for the Arrow Cave statues.

Moving on, there were some interesting references regarding the location of Orphan Island. It’s the bottom point of the Diablo Triangle which also includes Diablo Island where Bruce Gordon became Eclipso (House of Secrets #61) and Starfish Island (aka Lian Yu) where Oliver Queen was stranded and developed his skill for archery (Adventure #256). It also puts all three islands near Fiji.

Good question! When they revealed that the sand on Orphan Island was made of Miraclo, I immediately thought of JSA #36 and the chronal-stasis field that Matthew put the original Hourman in to give him more time with his son. This could explain why time doesn’t move on Orphan Island. You may also notice a panel with villainous hands holding an hourglass much like the one that marked how much time Rex’s chronal-stasis field had left.

Otherwise, this was a nice issue that provided insight into why finding the missing sidekicks is so important to Emiko. I’ve really enjoyed how the friendship between Courtney and Emiko has been built so far. It was also cool to see The Lost Children finally show up in the end. I want more!

5 Likes

I looked at the dc wiki and Spider is Thomas Ludlow Hallaway. It is possible Green Arrow had fought Spider in some untold tales.
During the golden age, Superman had fought Archer (superman 13).
For heroes with arrows, Fawcett Comics had Golden Arrow.

4 Likes

DC keeps listing Golden Arrow in their DC Encyclopedias but I don’t believe he actually showed up in universe. I don’t know for sure but that may simply be to keep the trademark rights.

4 Likes

Golden Arrow’s secret identity of Roger Parsons was recently name dropped in The New Champion of Shazam #2 and 3. He didn’t appear, or hasn’t yet, but it was a neat Easter Egg.

I like what Johns did with Alias the Spider in Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #9. In the Golden Age, The Spider was a particularly violent and deadly archer hero.
The Spider with death

So, in Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #9, Johns not only made The Spider into Ollie’s Post-Crisis stand-in for the Seven Soldiers, but he had Spider betray the team in a way that lead to Wing’s “death.” It was fitting for a “hero” who was that vicious.

Since we recently talked about Blue Beetle, here’s something funny. The Blue Beetle used to spook criminals with various symbols of a blue beetle:
The Sign of the Blue Beetle

In his first appearance in Crack Comics #1, The Spider took down a gang leader known as The Cricket who used to spook his enemies using the symbol of a cricket:
The Sign of the Cricket

Coincidence? Maybe. But it’s funny to think of that as The Spider fighting an alternate universe version of The Blue Beetle.

4 Likes

Went on the DC wiki at Fandom and it wasn’t only Golden Arrow name dropped in those two books. A whole lot of Fawcett characters civilian identities were mentioned including Nyola the Jungle Girl who I thought was a licensed character. I know she started off in the movies first. Anyway, it looks like the New Champion of Shazam is getting in on some of this New Golden Age action.
Conspicuously missing was any mention of Mr. Scarlet’s son/sidekick Pinky. Maybe a tie-in to Stargirl: The Lost Children.

3 Likes

Would it explain Dan deaging? It probably can.

3 Likes

Yeah, I honestly can’t explain that piece. I’m pretty sure that’s something Extant could do and it’s something that seems to be in Per Degaton’s power now. Maybe one of them has something to do with it…?

Yeah! I’d been breaking them all down in the New Champion of Shazam thread:

And then this user helped me on a few of them:

Nyoka is interesting. She did start out in the movies and was supposedly a character that Fawcett licensed from Republic Pictures. However, Republic went defunct in 1967. Viacom/Paramount ended up owning a lot of what was Republic, but… I don’t see them making a claim on Nyoka. Wikipedia claims that Charlton purchased Nyoka from Fawcett and then Charlton sold her to AC Comics in 1987, but I’m dubious of this claim. If Nyoka was a licensed character for Fawcett then how could they sell the character to Charlton? I’ve seen AC reprint Nyoka stories, but her comics are in the public domain so anyone can do that. My assumption would be that Nyoka is in the public domain at this point, and, if that’s the case, what DC did was fine.

I did notice that Pinky was missing. At the time, I thought it may be because his Christian name really is Pinky and it would be a dead giveaway, but… they did print Scoop Smith’s name, so maybe not. I would love to see Pinky in The Lost Children if he ended up on Orphan Island instead.

3 Likes

Extant did deage the helmet of nabu to its raw material, so he should be able to do it to people, especially as he could remove days from our lives and revert Hawkgirl to a past life.

Maybe it was modified by The Childminder.

3 Likes