The Huntress Love Thread 💜

Happy Birthday @EDT! :confetti_ball::birthday::tada:

giphy

7 Likes

I’m not the biggest expert on Helena Bertinelli(I’m working through several of her series now) yet I look to her work in the Birds of Prey and occasional help in Gotham as part of the greater Bat-family. The group that are like reserved members or extended group of it. People like Batwing, Azrael, Bluebird, Harley Quinn, etc.

She won’t be invited to their dinner parties but to me Helena Bertinelli is definitely Bat-family.

I agree with @MatthewHecht. Despite being daughter of Batman, Helena Wayne really does not have the same relationship with the Bat-family as she does with the JSA. Huntress Bertinelli on the other hand…

8 Likes

I invite her to dinner parties.

6 Likes

Happy Birthday @EDT! :birthday: :partying_face: I hope it’s been a great one!

8 Likes

Yes. Always

There are so many but one that springs to mind is BOP #57

I really loved Julia and Shawna Benson’s Rebirth era Helena. Plus- this is my most fave action figure of her in my collection:

Always :00_birds_of_prey:

11 Likes

Happy B-Day @EDT!

10 Likes

Happy Birthday @EDT! Hope you have a great Birthday today! :partying_face::birthday::tada::confetti_ball:

9 Likes

That sounds good. Would you recommend it? - :disguised_face:

Edit: (this is from someone who is totally not me. If you saw my username at the top, I was hacked by someone with really good tastes)

8 Likes

happy birthday @EDT

6 Likes

That mint in box BOP figure set is so gorgeous. :sob:

6 Likes

One of the Nu52 books that I enjoyed a lot was, surprisingly, one of the Earth Two titles, the Worlds Finest that featured Helena and Karen. The backstory for Helena there was great and contributed a lot to my enjoyment, as the relationship with Karen.

It’s also a good example of two strong females have a healthy and good relationship/friendship - which is not something we necessarily see often in superhero titles - certainly not as a main feature of any run.

It’s also some of the best non-LoSH work that Levitz has done post his retirement as an executive. I’m not sure if his lack of a by-line in the last few years was his choice, but given the number of minis and maxi’s DC has been putting out the last few years under Marie Jarvins, I wouldn’t mind seeing him take another crack at a character or two in the near future.

I’ve not read many mainline books in which Helena features, so cannot comment intelligently too much about her pre- or post FP history either way, but the one entire run I did read - Grayson - was something I found really confusing with the way the PTB decided to use her in that run - and also was left feeling very whelmed with the way she was portrayed, in part because it felt OOC.

Oh, and happy birthday @EDT!

9 Likes

Thank you! I :purple_heart: it. :smiley:

6 Likes

well it was ooc because earth 2 huntress is not the same person as earth 1 huntress and earth 1 huntress is not the same as the new huntress in the jsa comics going on right now
she is from another time line

5 Likes

I need to read that worlds finest run though it looks fun I love worlds finest there my favorite comics ever

5 Likes

The arc that covers the ‘secret history’ of Clark and Bruce on Earth Two was really a fun re-imagination by Levitz. And overall, as I said, it’s a good depiction of female friendship and of the two characters generally. I did think that having Kara slag on the prime earth Super Bro at their first meeting was a mistake, particularly given the way Helena was depicted as relating to Bruce, who is essentially her biological father who raised her from Earth Two, and thus has some significant meaning even if it’s just as a doppelganger of sorts.

# #

I noticed this upcoming variant that might be of interest to everyone else in this discussion.

Yanick Paquette

8 Likes

They keep soliciting a different Huntress variant for every issue that keeps getting delayed for that series…I don’t get it.

5 Likes

She’s popular with some people, I’d like to see Zee on some variants, and I’d like to Kenen Kong Kenan on some for another. But we do seem to get some folks over and over.

6 Likes

No, I mean that the same image keeps getting solicited for different issues. It’s very confusing.

7 Likes

I feel they both are, but Helena Bertinelli earns her place in it and is one of the black sheep of the batfamily with Jason Todd being the other one. Helena Wayne literally is part of the family as she was born into it.

For Wayne: Crossbow at a Crossroad for Wayne(with 2022’s JSA being a close second). Bertinelli: Batgirl and the birds of Prey’s first ark.(i need to read more Bertinelli)

:thinking: I have not read enough Bertinelli to say yet, however, All Love all interpretations of Helnea Wayne(so far) as it means Batman got a happyish ending with Catwoman and I am a rabid batcat shipper. i just wish when had more Elseworlds with Wayne in them.

Wayne: i like her team-ups with Power Girl and their friendship (i do also ship them a bit romantically). I would love to see her team up with her mom in the past, as she has never actually done this (that I am aware of).
Bertinelli: I like her with BOP, but I would love to see her team up with Jason Todd…as she has never had a proper team-up with him…I also feel these two would be fantastic romantic partners and may even calm each other down.

7 Likes

Ah, sorry - that’s supposedly for the new JSA run, but my experience is that solicits are never 100% set until the issue is closer to print production. I know that Cereal Lord’s recent Shazam! run ended up with a ton of discarded and unused covers/variants. And it’s not always a matter of whom the artist is nor do they get screwed over - I know some of them get paid a kill fee irrespective, so I suspect all of them must?

5 Likes