The End is Nigh - Aquaman Cancellation

Of all the books getting the ax at DC, the only one I am sorry to see go is Hawkman. Venditti was killing it on that book even though the “infected” crap was awful. But I don’t blame Venditti for that story line as it was most likely pushed on him by DC’s dopey editorial staff. I stopped reading Aquaman when Kelly Sue DeConnick took over the book and transformed The KING of the Seven Seas into a beta-amnesiac. And I only read the first issue of Young Justice and knew it wasn’t for me. Here’s hoping after we get through the current Dark Metal story line, that both Hawkman and Aquaman will be rebooted with creators who respect these iconic characters. Oh, a new Green Arrow title would also be appreciated. Hey, DC, many of your loyal readers and customers saw this scything of the field coming.

2 Likes

@Me-am-Bizarro Do you know what it is/who they are?

1 Like

Agree, I would never boil down the issues DC is having that brought about such a huge layoff with “this wouldn’t have happened if they didn’t do reboots!” but I do think them rebooting their universe so manyh times in such a short period did them no favors. When something isn’t working you should probably try and find writers who can make it work, rather then hit a reset the first sign of trouble. I mean post Crisis had a lot of problems especially right after Crisis ended. But they didn’t just reboot it.

1 Like
2 Likes

I think we can all agree that re-booting has not helped anything. I understand that comics are still business as (much us fanboys don’t like thinking about it that way) and business hasn’t been good. DC was trying to creating the MCU, for the $$$ but failed miserably. The only good thing from DC in recent years has the animated movies…here’s hoping for better times.

2 Likes

@TheTerribleToyman I know EVS and Kyle Ritter. I know there are different factions. I know the left and s.j.w.'s hate them.

I just know EVS and Ritter are uber-talented. I’ve supported their IGG stuff. I have all EVS’s DC stuff. Seems to be very customer oriented too.

No serious company is ever going to align themselves to a group like that, DC especially. Whatever he does in comics going forward won’t be with DC or Marvel until he publicly cuts ties with them.

3 Likes

I just heard the news and I’m incredibly bummed by the cancellation of some of these titles. :pensive: Not to mention the layoffs and everything else that’s going on—I can’t even imagine what all those people are going through. I really hope DC starts doing a better job.

1 Like

I just hope Death Metal proves to be a SOFT REBOOT! The Constant Rebooting Big/small is just making it more difficult to stay invested in a lot of titles

5 Likes

@jdaego55.10147 agreed. I used to buy a lot of titles religiously but fell off after Rebirth. Just get occasional the TPB now.

2 Likes

Between things that they should leave alone and things that NEVER should’ve been attempted They’ve kinda become RETCON HAPPY! :joy::man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Crisis- 1986

Zero Hour- 1994

Infinite Crisis- 2006

Flashpoint- 2011

Rebirth- 2016

(Not including Final Crisis or Blackest Night, because as big as they were story wise, they didn’t end with sweeping company wide changes).

So 8 years from Crisis to Zero Hour. 12 years from Zero Hour to Infinite Crisis. 5 years from Infinite to Flashpoint. Another 5 from Flashpoint to Rebirth, then if Death Metal does bring about a reboot when it ends in 2021, that will have been 5 years.

Not that bad.

2 Likes

One of my disappointments with the latest retcons is that they do a poor job of explaining what is new, changed, or the same. New 52 drastically changed some and barely touched others. Bruce had a 13 year old son and 4+ Robins when his career was in year 5.
I really wish they would do more guidebooks.

2 Likes

“More guidebooks” = more than the current none.

1 Like

@notice the time in between is getting shorter…almost like reboots aren’t working… :thinking:

2 Likes

Or they work too well. I can just about guarantee they see a spike in sales when they do the company wide restarts, so they’re hard for them to resist.

1 Like

Maybe spike at the beginning with the new issues but I’m sure the older fans (myself) don’t like our heroes constantly changing. I’ve read very few of the Rebirth era and those were TPBs.

3 Likes

High prices, cash grab events, agenda driven stories, and poor artwork lead to poor sales. Producing good comics should not be rocket science.

4 Likes

If Hawkman is getting cancelled it’s a shame. It’s a really good book, but I guess the character can’t sustain a solo title. Young Justice gave us back Bart & Conner so I will support it until the end.

1 Like

Not counting Black Label titles, Mini series, maxi series, and one shots…

1 Like