The DC Rumor Mill Has Me Thinking

Most people who have little to no knowledge of the comic book industry think that Marvel is kicking DC’s @#$, but that’s not true(almost the opposite. Almost). In fact, I had one friend who didn’t know that comic books were still being made. The success of the MCU has led alot of people to assume that Marvel is way ahead of DC entirely, which is surprising, considering that the of the top 3 most well known superheroes, the top two are easily batman and superman. The initial start to the DCEU or whatever it’s called now was pretty rough, and most people don’t realize that by this people DC has made just as many successful live action films as one that caused a wall of angry fanboys to try and take down rotten tomatoes cough cough

Basically, most people don’t know that in the comic book world, DC is #1, and make assumptions based on both people’s cinematic universes from 5 years ago. Also, Marvel couldn’t buy out DC. Disney may own the MCU, but not their comic book industry

1 Like

I’d love to see a breakdown of actual sales, instead of distributor shipments.
Marvel has X-Men and their many off shoot titles to thank for a bunch of that, I’d wager. I’m guessing in the comic book landscape of the X-Men franchise has really been a reason for their volume success over the last few decades.

2 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte X-Men (and some Spider-Man) is the only reason for their success. Zero question. The same can be said for DC with the many Batman titles. Both publishers sell what sells. Batman keeps DC happy. X-Men keeps Marvel happy. Just the way it goes. Other than a brief time in 92/93 when Superman sold like crazy, I can’t remember it being any other way. I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m defending or condemning either publisher. I’m just saying, based on the available data (for what it’s worth) Marvel has been selling pretty well for a long time. So has DC. Data just suggests DC hangs back 6-10% since about the time Perez and Wolfman stopped working on Titans. I don’t care who is ahead in sales as long as they both keep publishing what I like.

2 Likes

Batman is DC’s cash cow for sure.

4 Likes