The Black Canary Groupie Thread

You know her name, her signature look, and her beautiful voice - ladies, gentlemen, everybody in attendance, put your hands together for BLACK CANARY!

Consider this the place to chill, celebrate all things relating to this character, and party like a rockstar!

10 Likes

i only know her from green arrow and the current birds of prey run and JLU but canary is amazing

8 Likes

I highly reccomend the OG Birds of Prey book

8 Likes

im planning on reading the older ones when the current run is over

7 Likes

My advice @wrrrryyyy12 . Stay from one of her first solo series Black Canary (1991) man that series is a buzzkill. Not fun at all. :laughing:

Recommendation is Birds of Prey of course, but do check out Meltzer era Justice League as well. She becomes chairwoman of the Justice League and it’s awesome.

Also for @EDT. In case you didn’t know already.

6 Likes

I’ve been meaning to get around to that. After I finish Tynion’s Detective Comics work, I’ll get around to that. Only makes sense since I also did a review of a Zatanna comic recently

But tell us all about your favorite Black Canary stuff!

6 Likes

Man, they had NO filter on JLU, didn’t they?

7 Likes

Most of what I read about Black Canary came from Justice League stuff. I love Justice League stuff and I like her in it.
Do you know of this famous scene?

Well Black Canary was there, but she just missed it. Leaving to some sad but hilarious response.
Screenshot_20240107_172608_Infinite

Surprisingly I did like her addition in Brian Michael Bendis Justice League run. She and Oliver were great additions to the team, and she had a incredibly awesome moment on Naomi home world in Justice League (2021) #61 where the planet doubled her powers to Black Bolt levels. Giving us a awesome panel of her sonic scream.

I really loved her in Deathstroke Inc. I wouldn’t read that series if it weren’t for her and honestly I’m glad I did. No one really appreciates that more than Batman, Green Arrow, and even Nightwing. Black Canary and Deathstroke have a underrated rivalry that I think should be showcased more in the future.

7 Likes

I had mixed feelings about Deathstroke Inc. But she is the main reason I kept at it for as long as I did

6 Likes

bendis being positive somehow ?

6 Likes

@DC89 Got any thoughts on Dinah?

7 Likes

BG’s true bestie. :purple_heart: One thing about Dinah that still goes unnoticed is that she’s among the top 5 most accomplished martial artists in the DCU. She rarely gets her cred for this and this needs to change.

Seconded. The Chuck Dixon penned run starting in 1998 is some of the greatest storytelling that DC has ever done. It serves as an incredibly important arc for BG, Dinah, and Helena and is my second most fave DC series OAT.
:00_black_canary: :00_birds_of_prey:

8 Likes

What are your favorite Black Canary looks? I personally think her Rebirth outfit is pretty cool, modernizing it a bit while paying homage. Some say it doesn’t really look like a superhero look but it at least feels like a punk rock outfit which makes sense because she was part of a band during this time

Her look in the animated DC shows like Justice League Unlimited is very simple and straight forward. And by God, she is stunning

But man, I surprisingly loved the look she started with in the OG Birds of Prey book. The early days of the team had a more spy thriller vibe to the stories and Dinah had the perfect look for those adventures.

At the end of the day though, I still love her iconic 2000s look. I’ve heard from a couple of people that they also really dig this despite not being a fan of fishnets in general, saying that she pulls them off. And your damn right she does!

7 Likes

This is my fave look as well. I do love her fishnets but I like them better when she pairs them off with shorts and her black Doc Martins instead of the leotard and heels (like I’ve said a bunch of times before- nobody’s try’nna fight a room full of League Of Assassins henches in 4" stilettos y’all). :smiley:

8 Likes

9 Likes

:laughing: :laughing:

7 Likes

Yeah, we pretty much don’t like it when men tell us what we’re wearing doesn’t work but since I’m coming from the XX side of the chromosome coin I’m qualified to weigh in. :wink: :+1:

7 Likes

That’s fair. I just like pointing out there are a lot of outfits with flaws if we take the time to examine them.

6 Likes

But can I also say it was a pleasant surprise in DCeased to see Dinah become a Green Lantern

10 Likes

She looks good in the mask!

7 Likes