The 85th Anniversary of Superman is Coming!

Did you see the Superman Blue pieces I added in?

Thank you and the same for your picks (especially any we mutually geek out over :smiley:).

Oh, absolutely. As I’ve said before, its one of the very best lines from the Kenner/Hasbro era and then some.

Fun Fact: Some of them are comic-accurate (Street Guardian Superman) and comic-inspired (Ultra Shield Superman).

Absolutely! Toys (be they for kids and/or kids-at-heart) are all about imagination and creativity and Kenner absolutely imbued that in the variants they made for Superman…as well as the 200+ variants they made for Batman across multiple lines over many years. :smile:

I spy with my four eyes the Mattel DC Multiverse Injustice Superman (hope McFarlane has one coming at some point) and Batman. Two fine figures that were made of metal…for some reason. :smile:

Plastic, metal or tree bark, as long as it looks cool and is worth the bread it costs, I’m in. :superman_hv_4:

6 Likes

I did! Was gonna come back & say something but didn’t want to hijack the thread (which we’re kinda doing now, but hey, we’re still talkin’ Supes!) I have the DCUC Superman Blue, and think it’s the best figure we got of that version of Supes, especially with the little electricity effect pieces. Looks great on the shelf next to his red half. The Hasbro line I’ve yet to dabble in. I’m too afraid to delve into some of these lines, mainly because of display space.

Correct, along with a Mattel Injustice Supes from the first game (dead center). They camouflage well with this bunch!

I kind of like that the other two are made of metal. Couldn’t tell you why other than their heftiness is impressive :joy:

5 Likes

my favorite Superman moment from all media in the last 85 years

7 Likes

It really was perfect in every way. The buildup to it with the John Williams theme, the timeless quotes, the visuals that still hold up 45 years later. Ear to ear smile inducing. I still sometimes start the movie and forward to this scene when I need a quick pick me up :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Since the Super Powers action figures came up, here is my current action figure display featuring my Super Powers/Final Faction (the Dollar Tree action figure line because they’re cheap and roughly the same size as my Super Powers figures) mash-up collection in the center with my various Superman figures in the background (McFarlane’s Superman Red Son, McFarlane’s Page Punchers Superman, DC Direct’s All-Star Superman, a Superman miniature, McFarlane’s Action 1000, and Kenner’s Hunter-Prey Superman).

And, what the heck, here are a few more shots of my collection of McFarlane’s Super Powers line:

IMG_1281

IMG_1278

IMG_1279

7 Likes

Superman: “Not until you guess correctly who I am”

6 Likes

Same! Not only was it my first Multiverse figure, but also my very first Superman figure. I got it the same year this was released. For years, growing up I never really liked any of the Superman figures that were out. I guess I already had good taste in action figures as a little kid :laughing: You can imagine my excitement getting this guy at 18. Finally was able to fulfill the wish of having a good Supes figure for my inner kid.

That’s the only Multiverse figure I have in the box. :superman: :hearts:

7 Likes

Hey, The Moth is a collector! Nice little display you got going there, friend :grin:

7 Likes

Thanks, dude! I love my toys, but… your collection is incredible!

6 Likes

:pray:

7 Likes

I love your collection!

9 Likes

Thank you! After I got the Supermobile, I realized I needed things for it to punch and it got a bit out of control from there :laughing:

8 Likes

gasps in a playful fashion

Another Kenner Superman: Man of Steel fan?

@moro We have another!

motions Moth to sit at the Kenner SMOS table

Sit, drink (responsibly) and be merry, for all are welcome at this table!

For anyone who isn’t familiar with the above figure yet but would like to be, check 'im out:

BTW, let’s highlight Massacre’s one action figure, also from the same high holy of holies line that Hunter-Prey Superman hails from:

He has the same cardback as the Superman and Doomsday set, so no need to picture it.

Now, with all of this 85th anniversary chit-chat, have we talked about these tomes, yet?

The former is due for release on May 2nd, while the latter is in-store right now (check your Walmarts in particular).

I’m excited for the 85th anniversary book and I have the 85th mag, which was a wonderful read and then some.

7 Likes

I had both of those comic two-packs as well as Superboy, Steel, and Conduit.

Hunter-Prey Supes is the lone survivor (sans cape).

6 Likes

Do I want to know why Hunter-Prey Superman was the lone survivor?

On the whole though, Kenner’s Superman: Man of Steel line is :kissing: :pinched_fingers:t2: and then some.

A couple exceptions aside, its pretty cheap on the 'ol eBay, should you want to re-acquire the figures you had, while also buying those you’ve never had.

6 Likes

House fire back in 2011. Also took out my first comic collection and just about everything else I owned. Hunter-Prey Supes survived because I carried him around like a good luck charm and he was in my backpack while I was at work and the fire was happening.

Probably the best Superman figures of the era. I’m pretty focused on Super Powers rn, though…

6 Likes

Fixed that for ya. :wink:

A worthwhile focus for sure.

5 Likes

Funny thing is, I got the 80 Years of Superman book somewhere in between September-November, and I just started reading it in February Lmao. I’m never gonna catch up the rate I’m going. Every time I’m ready to do something, I get held up by something else.

7 Likes

That’s okay. Read at your own pace and don’t worry about being caught-up.

Besides, the cool thing about having a large backlog of content to read is that you’re never lacking for something of interest to dive into next, as you’re guaranteed to always have something on-deck and ready to go.

6 Likes

I know; I was quite pleasantly surprised to see @TheCosmicMoth pop up in collector discussions. The more the merrier!

6 Likes