The 52 Book Club: Week Thirty-Three

Hello and welcome to another edition of the 52 Book Club, where every week we read an issue of the acclaimed maxi-series as we celebrate it’s 15th anniversary!

This week we’ll be reading issue #33, written by The Gang of Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Geoff Johns and Greg Rucka, with art breakdowns by Keith Giffen and finishes by Shawn Moll, Joe Prado, Tom Derenick, Freddie E. Williams II, and a partridge in a pear tree. This issue also features a Secret Origins backup about Martian Manhunter written by Waid and drawn by Tom Mandrake.

How do the heroes spend their winter holiday? Ralph Dibny pays a visit to the Flash Museum, two members of the Bat Family exchange gifts and the Black Marvel Family shows the world another side of themselves.

LINK: 52 #33

If you just joined us or running behind, you can follow this unofficial club by clicking on the hashtag 52-book-club.

Looking forward to talking about this issue with everyone, and Happy Holidays to everyone! :smiley:

52 number 33

Hard to accept the 15 years ago Barry Allen was the Flash that no longer was alive. Just think, the CW Flash could have been all about Wally West if things weren’t about to change with all that soon after 52.

A version of Luther that deliberately has someone killed to be vivisected is a little tough to take, that’s not exactly where I see his villainy normally.

1 Like

Yeah – and let’s not forget around this time Justice League: Mortal was about to start pre-production, and as I recall, the movie was going to feature Barry Allen as The Flash, only to have him die and Wally to pick up the mantle at the end.

It would be interesting to see where the character would have gone if Barry never came back. I honestly think it made sense bringing Barry back because I think interest in Wally and the quality of his stories had really slumped by this point. But then again I was never a big Wally fan to begin with. :sweat_smile:

I would love to see that time travel team up story, though!

Interesting. Where do you see his villainy normally? As I was reading I figured it made enough sense, since he was basically using Everyman as an opportunity to gain powers of his own so that he can potentially rival Superman. To finally be in the same “league” as him, I think Luthor would do literally whatever it took, no matter how costly or cruel.

I normally see Luther more focused on killing Superman more than random civilians.

I can see him firing people and causing people to go into poverty but I haven’t seen read a lot where he’s like a mass killer.