The 52 Book Club: Week Sixteen

Hello and welcome to The 52 Book Club, where each week we read an issue of the critically acclaimed maxi-series in celebration of it’s 15 year anniversary!

This week we’re covering Week 16, written by the all-star team of Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka and Geoff Johns, with art breakdowns by Keith Giffen, and finishes by Joe Bennett. This issue also features a back-up Secret Origin of Black Adam written by Waid and drawn by cover artist J.G. Jones.

In week 16, Black Adam and Isis wed, attended by members of the Marvel Family! When a lone terrorist attempts to disrupt the festivities, help comes from an unexpected source.

LINK: 52 #16

So let us know what you think down below! If you’re just joining us and you want to catch up or you want to be notified when a new post drops, check out the hashtag 52-book-club!

4 Likes

Nice to see Black Adam happy. Isis was definitely a beautiful bride. Great of Renee to figure out the suicide bomb plot and stop it, although it was sad that a child had to die. And at the end Starfire and company are finally heading home.

3 Likes

Bookmarked for Saturday. Unfortunately I didn’t read the last one so I still have to catch up on that but all good these are quick reads!

4 Likes

It was SO WEIRD to see Adam fuss about his appearance, but kind of endearing. It was especially funny seeing him worry about his hairline receding. Maybe Teth should just go bald like a certain actor who’s about to portray him. :laughing:

It is definitely quick like that. :smiley:

4 Likes

I love the dimension that this issue gives to Renee. Now you know, she will kill if she needs to. And kill a kid no less! She’s already got issues, what will this so to her?

2 Likes

I mean, she was GCPD, so she’s had to shoot her gun before. I don’t remember if she has killed anyone in the comics previous to this, though. I’m pretty sure she didn’t kill the murderer of her partner at the end of Gotham Central, though.

2 Likes

This is correct. I can’t remember for sure if she ever killed anyone before this either, but I don’t think she did. She definitely has struggled with the temptation of revenge more than once.

I binged this series before, but I might try to catch up with you guys so I can join in once a week rereading this. It’s such a good series, and one of Renee’s best.

2 Likes

Beautiful wedding and nice to see the crew escaping the planet next story please

2 Likes