The 52 Book Club: Week Forty-Four

Hello and welcome to the 52 Book Club, where each week we read an issue of the acclaimed series in celebration of its 15th anniversary!

This week we’ll be reading issue 44, written by Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Geoff Johns and Mark Waid, with art breakdowns by Keith Giffen and finishes by Eddy Barrows.

The Black Marvels take on the Four Horsemen! Black Adam fought for peace and family for once in his life, but if all that gets taken away, what is he left with? The events of this issue lead up to the 52 spinoff event, WORLD WAR III!

LINK: 52 #44

If you want to see and put your thoughts on previous issues, you can follow along using the hashtag 52-book-club!

Looking forward to talking about this issue with you all!

3 Likes

What a sad ending for Black Adam and Isis!

3 Likes

Will World War III be covered? I’m evidently one of the few who liked it. :smirk:

3 Likes

Now THIS issue I remember from when it came out. I couldn’t help but think of the senseless conflict in Ukraine currently taking place as I read this tragic issue and the righteous rage such violence brings to the victims as they firmly stand their ground.

2 Likes

That’s the plan – I’m probably going to lump in in with that issue of the week. That’ll make the reading way bigger than normal, but should be handlable. :slight_smile:

Yeah, some of this stuff definitely hits different nowadays.

3 Likes