SWAMP THING is a soap opera. A GOOD soap opera-- But still...

Waits for villagers with torches and pitchforks

4 Likes

^ And this is a bad thing because?

Didn’t say It’s a bad thing. It’s a Swamp Thing. I’m just calling a muck monster a muck monster.

1 Like

Maybe, just maybe Swamp Thing is not the greatest invention since the wheel.

1 Like

@Misfit: The way your post is worded gives the impression that you think Swamp Thing is somehow ‘diminished’ because it draws on Soap Opera tropes,

@Digiwriter

Soap Opera is a broad term, though. Professional wrestling is a soap opera. Downtown Abbey is a soap opera. The fans of both of these products will scream bloody murder, “No…”!!! if you tell them this truth.

2 Likes

What is the point of this post then… aside from getting attention?

1 Like

“A soap opera is an ongoing drama serial on television or radio, featuring the lives of many characters and their familial, platonic and intimate relationships.” - google/Wikipedia

So, like… every single series on this service.

2 Likes

@iJest
Quite so. Which is on of the reasons I find folks bashing the CWVERSE about being a soap opera-esque but DCU Originals being “real tv”. They’re all soap operas, get over it.

Hopefully HQ is more comedy than soap opera.

1 Like

If we’re going to be doing the ‘pitchforks and torches’ schtick, can we at least get Swamp Thing singing ‘Puttin’ On The Ritz’? (Doom Patrol had a musical number after all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

3 Likes

Mel Brooks might sue.

2 Likes

I like that it’s an ongoing drama like a soap opera. Self contained episodes don’t really allow for the fleshing out of characters and stories to the same degree. Were this a broadcast network show, the downside would be it can intimidate viewers from starting in with it, but that’s less of an issue on a service where all the prior episodes are readily available.

I’m all for a performance of Puttin’ On The Ritz.

I love soap too.

Now wouldn’t that be an amazing way to end the series!

I’d go as far as to say that pretty much all of superhero fiction is soap opera. I think we can all agree that Swamp Thing is at least pretty damn good soap opera.

I think the song should be “In the Moonlight” instead.

@Misfit What Music of The Night?

Too soapy?

Since the show is half way there ; I for one am interested in seeing how deep the relationship between Alec and Abby will go . For so far I still feel like it’s still in the early stages of a ship :of complete trust and how their conversations last a few minutes at best , and how we seem to learn more of the characters in flashbacks and how the impeding “Rot” and Sutherland and Woodrue will contribute to the story …any thoughts "¿

ALL serialized fiction is soap to some extent. Things happen, characters grow (or don’t) and drama ensues.

Heck, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is one giant soap opera.

1 Like

For some reason I’m getting a vision of a Viking woman singing with a spear and soap bubbles