Superman the Animated Series > Batman the Animated Series

Superman is underrated though

2 Likes

Superman is underrated though

Yes.

1 Like

I like them both, but B:TAS has the edge because it added some major changes to the Batman mythos such as adding Harley Quinn and giving Mr. Freeze a sympathetic backstory.

3 Likes

I adore them both, but STAS is my pick.

2 Likes

Nothing beats the high points of the original run of BTAS. That said the enormous number of episodes required (it ran at least six days a week of new episodes for alot of its run) means that not all episodes are of equal quality. You have some episodes with a good story and poor animation and others with great animation and lackluster story. What makes it even more frustrating is the fact that alot of two parters have much better animation in one part than the other (compare Feat of Clay part one with part two for example). There are also very few throughlines between episodes giving the show a somewhat disconnected feeling reminiscent of a lot of early comics.

Superman (and the other Timmverse series that followed it) never quite manage episodes anywhere near as good as Almost Got Him or Robin’s Reckoning but they also don’t have low points like Christmas with the Joker. The animation is of good if not outstanding quality throughout and the threads of metaplot reward you for watching the whole series instead of just cherry picking the best episodes.

Batman definitely

I am probably not the person to ask that question since I have always been a HUGE Batman fan but I’d go with the Batman animated series for a umber of reasons including the ones Beagle points out… BTAS gave us Harley and that alone gives the show a big edge. She went from a character invented for the show in what was supposed to be a one shot guest appearance into a STAR in her own right. Add the way Victor Freeze went for a straight up evil villain to a man devoted to finding some way to bring the love of his life back from the dead and Batman gets my vote for best of the two.

Superman was good too but hey Lex was Lex, Lois was Lois … it was a great show but just not as much innovative material.

Batman was noir, Superman was bright & happier. Guess it depends on which u prefer?

1 Like

I would still argue that BTAS is better than STAS. The quality of the episodes in BTAS is consistently high, whereas I can think of a number of STAS episodes that weren’t all that interesting, like “Superman’s Pal”, “Monkey Fun”, and “Unity”. Not to mention that a lot of the Superman stories were two-parters, or three-parters in the case of “World’s Finest”, which meant that they had the ability to flesh out the plot a little more, or introduced us to another hero, ie GL, Flash, Dr. Fate, Steel, Supergirl, etc. Don’t get me wrong, STAS had some serious high points and it’s pretty underrated (the ending to Apokolips…Now! gets me every time), but in my opinion, it’s still a peg or two below BTAS.

That is one of the best Bruce Timm stories. If not the best. Overall Batman is a better show, but that story is excellent. I just wish Superman could get an HD restoration. It’s choppy and some episodes deserve the love.

2 Likes

With you on this one. Grew up watch Superman animated series, didn’t like Batman back then. Still not a big fan. But Superman series is fire

STAS has the best BTAS-type episode, Knight Time. Where Superman has to pretend he’s Batman.

Also, Ed Asner was Dagget, but he was at his best as Granny Goodness. An absolute, for the ages, classic.

1 Like

They were very different shows. The original Batman: the Animated Series (versus the New Batman Adventures), in particular, was very different from Superman: the Animated Series. I enjoyed them both for different reasons.

Sorry, but I think JL & JLU beats them both. A show that makes you love 7 main leads is doing something right. And you get the best of both worlds with having both Syperman & Batman playing off each other as well as having their villains. Plus those other five characters that I like better than both Batman & Superman. By a long shot.

Of course, JL & JLU couldn’t have happened without the groundwork of the other DCAU series, but it’s the series that really brought it all together.

1 Like

I disagree but respect your opinion

Hoo boy, you’re gonna upset some people today huh? But at least I agree that STAS isn’t some forgettable bushleague thing in comparison to BTAS. People always regard it as such but JL and JLU wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for the plot threads that Superman’s show continued through

1 Like