Superman the Animated Series > Batman the Animated Series

There I said it. The New Gods storyline blow out anything BTAS has done. Anyone else agree?

11 Likes

Nah not me

I wouldnt say it was better but just as good in my opinion. Looking back, I am glad they decided to nerf Superman’s powers for the show and Clark was depicted very well. The New Gods storyline blew me away especially when I first saw Darkseid. Out of all the villains, Metallo and Toyman are a few of my personal favorites because they scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Remember when Toyman tried to make a lady into a doll? that was freaky. And of course, this show introduced Batman in the “World’s Finest” three-part episode. That was such a special moment for my childhood.

4 Likes

Absolutely I do! I’m a huge, huge fan of BTAS. However, no episode in that show moves me like “Apokolips…Now!” or makes me chuckle the way Brad Garrett’s Lobo does, to say nothing of Gilbert Gottfried’s wonderful Mr. Mxyzptlk, the World’s Finest epic, and the appearances of the Flash, New Gods, Green Lantern and Aquaman. Peri Gilpin’s Volcana is nice too.

Plus…Ed freakin’ Asner as Granny Goodness?! Lou Grant in the DCU? That blew my mind when I was a kid.

So yeah, I like STAS more.

9 Likes

You do know Ed Asner was on Batman animated series first? He voiced Roland Daggett… the business man responsible for Matt Hagen/ Clayface and he appeared in 3 episodes, so he wasn’t just a one off.

But honestly both shows are great, just depends on what you like really. If you prefer more grounded storylines then Batman is great for that & if you enjoy larger than life adventures then Superman will give you that. Both have humor too. I personally love each equally but for different reasons.

2 Likes

Actually I should say he, Ed Asner, appeared in 4 BTAS episode story arcs as Roland Dagget. I count Feat of Clay Part 1 & 2 as one episode Lol I had forgotten one.

1 Like

The crossovers were epic. Like one of the best DC animation

5 Likes

I absolutely did know Ed Asner was on BTAS. I recognized him when I was kid =)

3 Likes

Both shows were great. Yes, STAS had the New Gods Storyline, but don’t forget BTAS had “Robin’s Reckoning”?

2 Likes

Robin’s Reckoning also featured Tom “Biff Tannen” Wilson from Back to the Future as Anthony “Tony” Zucco.

4 Likes

Btas has … too much to type.

4 Likes

I’m major new Gods fan. I’ll never cross Kirby. Rip King.

4 Likes

I love STAS as much as the next guy, but there is a distinct lack of consistency in its episodes, with it’s great being GREAT, and it’s others usually being generic. Season 3 in all honesty was pretty bad, it seemed like they didn’t know how to push the character forward. With that being said, BTAS outclasses it with villains by a LONG shot as it does not even have the best DCAU lex luthor, that honor going to JL and JLU. Darkseid was great, but not in much, and most other are pretty generic barring a few episodes. I mean what can i say about btas that hasn’t been said? Brilliant villains score and everything else. There’s one key thing id like to talk about though is the characterization of the main hero. Any good cartoon is made by the protagonist and tim daly makes a great and sincere superman, but i feel like there’s only like 5 out of 52 episodes that delve into supes character, with my only examples being brave new metropolis, the late mr kent, and new kids in town, (coincidentally three of the show’s best episodes. However, there are numerous episodes in btas that explore batman, and plus they do it on different levels, just watch perchance to dream, trial and i am the night. Plus mask of the phantasm, a movie so beloved and popular that some say it’s better ham the dark knight!!!? Sorry but there’s nothjng better than btas, with the only thing close being Jl/Jlu and kind of YJ, at least they’re getting there, but they have a long way to go with direction, villains, music, etc.

2 Likes

Tosses apple in the air… tosses orange in the air…

1 Like

I think Superman Animated deserves more love because it really introduced more characters and expanded the Bruce Timm Universe.

Granted, if Batman Animated series wasn’t a success we wouldn’t have had the Superman Animated series. But I do think when Superman & Batman crossed over & Superman getting to meet other heroes helped pave the way for Justice League getting made.

However, it was the Justice League episodes from Batman Beyond that launched Justice League to happen, and it was because of Batman the Animated series that eventually launched Batman Beyond. I’m so torn, but because I’m a Superman fan, I’m going to choose Superman.

2 Likes

I think STAS is more consistent but BTAS has some of the best episodes ever.

1 Like

BTAS started it all in the modern era lead to everything even spawn on HBO say no more

BTAS isn’t really connected like shows after it. Meaning, you didn’t need to worry about missing an episode when it was airing unless it was a special part 1 and part 2 episode.

STAS seems to be more continuous in that respect. So if you’re looking for that, a story as a whole, STAS has that.

But… BTAS has the best villains and the episodes give such great focus and insight into the villains, I think that’s why it’s so good.

1 Like

STAS needs more love. It was so good. STAS = BTAS. Both got the tone of the heroes. So much better than the DCEU.

1 Like

Batman

1 Like