Superman Recommendations

I’ve been a DC fan for 30 years now and have found stories that have made me fall in love with many different characters but I have never found that one Superman story that endears him to me. Anyone have a recommendation of a great arc that he shines in?

4 Likes

This has its own storyline in Comic Books

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/-/7c3c96ca-1f97-4ffa-96b5-b81fb57a8623

2008 Superman The World of New Krypton by Geoff Johns James Robinson and Sterling Gates
The city of Kandor now resides near the Fortress of Solitude in the North Pole, populated by 100,000 Kryptonians. Superman attempts to aid the Kryptonians in their assimilation with the rest of the Earth, something very few Kryptonians seem interested in, including the city’s leaders.

2 Likes

Have you read the story Brainiac by Geoff Johns? What about Birthright by Mark Waid?

6 Likes

All-Star Superman, Superman Adventures (the Superman Animated Series tie-in comic), Superman vs. Muhammad Ali, For the Man Who Has Everything, and Superman: Secret Identity.

7 Likes

I second those recommendations, and would also recommend to @TheLastGL Superman: For The Man Who Has Everything. I believe it was Superman Annual 11​:four_leaf_clover:

5 Likes

Ahhh! @TurokSonOfStone1950 took one of my picks lol I loved the New Krypton Saga!

I agree with @Batwing52 Superman: Secret Identity is an amazing Superman story, even if it’s technically not about THE Superman. It’s a story that shows you what it means to BE Superman, and I’m not talking about just the powers. Kurt Busiek wrote an amazingly poignant story and Stuart Immonen’s art makes you feel like you’re there. At a time when everyone was gushing over Red Son, this one sadly got overlooked. And yet, when I talk to people about this story, you can see the impact Secret Identity had on fellow readers.

I would easily put this in the top five of best Superman stories ever told. HIGHLY recommended.

7 Likes

Hitman 34 which is on the site I believe.

Won the Eisner for Best Single Issue that year.

4 Likes

These are greats that I always really liked

All Star Superman
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
For the Man Who Has Everything
What’s So Funny About Truth Justice and the American Way
Birthright
Superman Rebirth by Tomasi
Red Son

4 Likes

@TheLastGL Superman Recommendations? This is like going with my best pitch. Supes is my guy, so I’ve got a “few” suggestions:
Man of Steel (by John Byrne)
Superman Vol2 (by Byrne)
Adventures of Superman (by Wolfman and Ordway)
Action Comics (by Byrne)
Superman Vol 2 (by Jurgens)
Superman: Whatever Happened to The Man of Steel (by Moore, Swan, Perez & Schaffenberger)
Superman: Secret Origin (by Johns & Frank)
Superman vs. Muhammad Ali (by Adams & O’Neil)
Superman and The Legion of Super-Heroes (by Johns & Frank)
Superman: Last Son (by Johns, Donner & Adam Kubert)
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (by Loeb & McGuinness)
And last–but never least–“For The Man Who Has Everything”, Superman Vol 1, Annual #11 (by Moore & Gibbons)
Oh, and by the way, there are scores of issues and runs from the Silver and Bronze Ages that are wonderful comics and well worth your attention.

4 Likes

There are a lot of great Superman stories, but I think All-Star Superman is the greatest.

2 Likes

Here’s one of those wonderful Bronze Age Superman runs I alluded too:
Superman Vol1, #'s 233-242. (By Denny O’Neil, Curt Swan, and Murphy Anderson)
This is a rare multi-part story for DC at the time. All kryptonite on Earth is transformed into harmless iron, Clark is now a tv news reporter and the mysterious “sand creature” is stalking The Man of Steel and robbing him of his super-powers.While the story is so unique for a Superman story of that era, the artwork is even more unparalleled for the time by its sheer brilliance.

3 Likes

I still haven’t read “A Superman For All Seasons.” I know one person who loves the four issue series, but I really haven’t seen anyone else recommend it ever. @baseballmaniac01.45870 Is that one you would recommend?

6 Likes

Going to agree with @baseballmaniac01.45870. Any Jurgens Superman is up there. Ordway is kinda underrated if you ask me.

4 Likes

I’ve enjoyed some Ordway Superman stories. Excellent call! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@VicTheQuestionSage: Yes, I would strongly recommend “A Superman for All Seasons”. I was remiss by not initially listing it. It is a beautifully rendered story.

4 Likes

I recommend all of @baseballmaniac01.45870’s recommendations.

As for a recommendation of my own, check out writer Mark Verheiden’s small, but VERY entertaining run on Superman (1986-2006) #'s 217-225. It’s alot of fun, and most of the issues feature beautiful art by Ed Benes.

2 Likes

Blaze & Satanus War.

2 Likes

@capo-mage That’s a fun, yet very underrated Triangle Era read.

Speaking of the Triangle Era, give Superman: The Triangle Era volumes 1-3 a look @TheLastGL. They’re found under the Storylines heading, and feature a ton of fun and very entertaining stories from one of the best eras of Superman.

Of the three volumes, the third doesn’t appear to yet be complete, but it still features a variety of quality reads.

2 Likes

Yes… I love the triangle era & they finally posted it on here in order. I did it all freestyle & Satanus War also crosses over.

2 Likes

@capo-mage They still need to finish up the volume 3 collection, but that aside, I LOVE that we have Triangle Era collections now.

They’re…wait for it…SUPER! :superman_hv_4:

2 Likes