Superman: Legacy: News, Chat and Polls

Mad Max Fury Road, anyone?

4 Likes

I wonder to what extent the WGA strike could impact production sine Gunn is the writer and director

4 Likes

I didn’t even remember he was in that, all I remember is Theron (sp?) and Tom Hardy as far as talent in that movie, but it didn’t leave the impression on me that it left on most.

I was very ‘whelmed.’

It can do things like casting, and the other craft services. Gunn himself should be a WGA member, as any other writer/director person is (Wes Anderson, George Lucas, etc.) but they can still work on any other things. In his case, he’s also management (in the same way Greg Berlanti is both a writer, director as well as a show runner - and they are being told by the Union not to work on anything as far as show running duties, which would be somewhat similar to what a producer, e.g. Safran’s role traditionally and presumably he will also produce on Legacy, but Greg is also the head of his own studio, of sorts, or production company at minimum. Meaning he’s PGA and likely AMTAP (sp?).Gunn is also PGA, so he is likely WGA, DGA, and PGA, and perhaps something else. Didn’t he also act when he was younger?

3 Likes

Think so, I assume the union is advising members on what they can and can’t do. Hopefully the strike is settled before it makes a difference

3 Likes

I’m sure they are working on key tasks, since the script is polished enough and Gunn himself knows what he might change and might not. Also, presumably he and Safran have gone over the script enough with the suits at WBD that some decisions that a director and producer might face, like whether money will be spent on CGI or EFX that might require re-writes or script changes (e.g. locations, expensive action pieces) are a bit more decided.

So folks who are not necessarily impacted by the writing strike - such as set designers, costume designers, or the people who do things like make plates for EFX or who make backgrounds (e.g. Metropolis) or crowd scenes for CGI and computer animation, the stuff that can take a lot of time and eat up production/pre-production schedule, that stuff can be - and likely is going on today. Likewise, actors can audition with what are called actual sides, or Gunn can give his casting people pages from say Peacemaker or some other already filmed material that he is familiar with that he thinks will give him the same information he would get if an actor actually used a page of dialogue or a scene from his actual Legacy script to audition with.

If people look at the screen tests for Superman - The Movie, those people were all tested - with or with out Christopher, with actual dialogue from the movie. However, this was before the interwebz was a thing and before there was all the intense interest in genre and super hero films, spoilers and the like, that there is today. So more than likely there will - eventually - be some chemistry reads and final screen test that might use actual Legacy words, but a lot of it might and likely will happen with other material for secrecy’s sake.

All that should be happening. The WGA is reportedly telling the show-runners (who are mainly writers, as Gunn is here) that making decisions about things like costume design IS writing. And that they shouldn’t do it, but I suspect where ever Gunn’s heart may lie, and also because he - as I said, is wearing multiple hats - one of which is being a suit himself, he’ll likely continue to do this stuff. And unlike Tony Gilroy (who was at the same time called a scab early on by some on-line WGA strikers, and is now being threatened by the Mouse for refusing to do this stuff) on Andor, I suspect Gunn will quietly continue to do this stuff and likely not get any crap on it by strikers, on-line or otherwise. That said, some savvy and active on-line WGA member who also follows cape stuff could easily @ Gunn on line and ask him about this and put him (and other similar people who both write and direct, etc.) on the spot.

3 Likes
2 Likes

If this happens, the Red Capes are Coming

3 Likes

“I’m getting barraged with bullst DC rumors this morning,” he tweeted. “I’ll just reiterate the general rule not to believe anything unless it comes from me or Peter [Safran]. But, unless it’s especially egregious, I’m going to slow down on calling st out. (Sorry, I know, it’s one of my favorite traditions).”

The comments on the article are very “Hollywood” and were I anyone here, I would ignore them and definitely not engage, for one thing, Deadline heavily monitors comments after the story has been up for a day and for another, it’s not really a public comment site like You Tube or reddit and not worth the energy or effort.

4 Likes

This is the best fan poster
It’s so dope

5 Likes

Very cool

3 Likes

I honestly think it looks very bad. It makes a big deal out of a man flying while he is just sitting there, that phrase had already been used, just copying Superman the movie has been a huge problem with Superman movies (especially with Man of Steel), the main character looks so bored and miserable, and why is there a giant hole in The Daily Planet globe?

4 Likes

I like that it’s the boxer version of the trunks which is my preferred version, particularly when the actor can rock it. Cavill, for example, definitely had the thighs for it.

^ actually a tad bit longer than this schoop would be my preference.

Was there an artist posted on that? Reverse image isn’t coughing up anything for me.

4 Likes

well you never know it could be the best yet I believe it could be :superman:

3 Likes

admit it your just mad because his movies coming out before yours :rofl:

3 Likes

The Me already came out and dominated, and it did that just 10 years after my last series ended.

5 Likes

Is it just me or does anyone else think we might get Solaris as one of the villains in this?

The film is called Legacy, which at least partly implies that we’ll get a sense of the impact Superman has not just on the world, but across time. Gunn has said All Star Superman is one of the inspirations for this film. And Solaris is exactly the kind of villain Gunn loves.

5 Likes

yes but its not a part of the new reboot that ones batman brave and bold good new robin will be in this one :batman:

3 Likes

your guess is as good as mine :00_superman:

3 Likes

Based of Gunn’s padt work I would nor be surprised if Jimmy is the villain.

4 Likes

well to be fair sometimes jimmy is the villain

3 Likes