[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Challenge of the Super Fans: Season 2! An Issue a Week of Superman Silver or Bronze Age: Week 1

[Superman Fan Club] PRESENTS: The Issue a Week of Superman Silver and Bronze Age Challenge of the Superfans Season 2, WEEK 1!!!

Welcome to Week 1 of Season 2 of a very special challenge / contest , reading one single issue a week from the currently- digitized DC Universe Infinite collection of Silver and Bronze Age Superman and Family comic over a three month timeframe! You don’t have to be named “Rip Hunter” to succeed, but it can’t hurt either!

Speaking of whom,
This time around: BRONZE AGE!

ACTION COMICS (1938-) #552 (February 1984) Action Comics (1938-) #552

Immortal Man brings together ‘The Forgotten Heroes’ to try to destroy Superman! Featuring: Rip Hunter, Time Master! Cave Carson! Congorilla! Suicide Squad! Animal Man! Immortal Man! Sea Devils! Dolphin!

I flipped through ACTION COMICS (1938-) #552
  • Yes I did
  • Oops, I did not

0 voters

And now…the announcement everyone has been breathlessly waiting to hear!! The results of Season 1 of …CHALLENGE OF THE SUPERFANS!!! Yeaaaaaaay

Congrats to @CaptainYesterday @RexRebel @patterson65.37405 and me, your host / MC @Don-El for participating and sharing all 13 weeks of Season 1!

Congrats are also in order for those of you who got over halfway at this point: @clucktrent bravely fought through 11 of the 13 weeks (and we hope all is well at the Trents). Also @Bar-El slugged through 8 of the 13 weeks bravely while running other clubs on this here internetz thingie!!!

Appreciated also is @DanTheManOne1 for joining when you could and contributing a lot of neat detailed background for several of the stories!

@AlexanderKnox and @Thepringles1.19584 , thanks for stopping by the Season 1 challenge as well, you are welcome anytime!!!

And now…on to Season 2’s unique Silver and Bronze Age Challenges…up, up and away!!!

4 Likes

Clap clap clap clap!!!

3 Likes

I enjoyed seeing all of these older heroes being brought back on the story, though Vandals Plot seems a little weak to me, as I imagine Superman comes into contact with enough forms of energy that the spores would’ve been destroyed by now, but we will find out next week. I think they had stopped this by this story not sure, but if I remember right Supes use to clean his suit on the sun.

3 Likes

VERY dry cleaning lol

3 Likes

Let’s see how this Marv Wolfman/ Gil Kane tale goes.

Marv supposedly wants Superman depowered, yet has him throw a junked apartment building halfway around the planet to stop a flood in the Philippines. Nice shot Clark.

Vandal Savage made his way from Earth 2 to Earth 1 in Action #515.

This story takes place in 1983.

Animal Man’s last appearance was Wonder Woman #268 in 1980.
Cave Carson, Rip Hunter and Dane Dorrance appeared in Action earlier in the year in #545.
Congo Bill had a “Whatever Happened to?” feature in DC Comics Presents #27, but his last appearance before that was Justice League of America #144 in 1977.
Dolphin’s last appearance was Showcase #100 in 1978.
This was Immortal Man’s first appearance since Strange Adventures #198 in 1967.
Rick Flag’s last appearance was in Brave & the Bold #39 in 1961.

Wolfman was trying to bring a more into the personal lives of the Daily Planet staff in the last few years. It really didn’t take until after Crisis though.

Bit of a setup issue, but the end really makes you want to come back for the next one.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for the info, I didn’t realize that some of them had appeared that recently in comparison to the story.

2 Likes

If you discount some of these backup features or guest star status, they hadn’t been in starring roles since the middle 1960s.

3 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

It’s interesting to me than not too much later both Animal Man and Rip Hunter had some really good series.

2 Likes

I just read the second part and if anything, it’s even better than the first. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed!

2 Likes

I think this will be either the fourth or fifth time I’ve read this pair of comics.

2 Likes

There’s one more after the next that’s kind of connected too beyond the two that I’m probably going to have us avoid for a while

2 Likes

There’s lots that I like about the plot in this one.

The idea of secretly having microscopics spores all over Superman’s costume (I assume/ is pretty cool.

The little mini stories featuring each of the Forgotten Heroes from the '50s and '60s were actually very entertaining. I would probably buy a modern-day Cave Carson exploration of the lower parts of the earth type comic. I did read the first of the new series for Cave Carson fairly recently.

One scene kind of threw me, I’d forgotten that for a while at the end of the Bronze Age the adult Clark Kent was dating Lana Lang.

1 Like

I remember Clark dating Lana. I don’t remember how it happened. It was nice to see all the Forgotten heroes.

1 Like