[Superman Fan Club] Old Man Superman/ Baby Superman Bringing in the New Year 2021! Y1 R15

[Superman Fan Club] and friends, for our last 2020 reading, #15, the Silver and Bronze Age Superman, Supergirl and Batman with Robin eagerly await your attention! Bonus! We are sharing an issue with the [Legion Fan Club] the next few weeks, DC Comics Presents #13!

Click here if you would like to join the [Superman Fan Club]
https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/g/Superman-Fan-Club

ACTION COMICS (1938-) #327 (released August 1965 ) https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/action-comics-1938-327/1752c7a6-a3b7-4ba8-a847-f51045af4012/ Sure looks like a typical Happy New Year story to me: Old Man Time / Superman and New Baby Time / Superman featured….Let’s see them explain this one away….

DC Comics Presents #13 https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/dc-comics-presents-1978-13/afea4695-696a-43d8-9253-31a4f650ffa7/ Superman and the 70’s Bronze Age Legion of Super-Heroes fight with each other over an alien race! Paul Levitz, writer

Superman (1939-) #308 (released February 1977 ) https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/superman-1939-308/2d5ccd12-895b-466f-9347-027a773860d9/ We continue this insane story by Gerry Conway, part two after Kandor has been destroyed by Supergirl, apparently written during an editor’s strike maybe?

WORLD’S FINEST COMICS (1941-) #73 (released November 1954) https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/world-s-finest-comics-1941-73/409d7e74-3b42-4b01-a7c8-dda988307393/ Batman poses as a Swami in a circus to lure out a superstitious criminal. Again, appropriate for the New Year’s celebrations, as there are always those who claim to predict what will happen in 2021. I predict the [Superman Fan Club] will continue to have more fun than ever in 2021!!! Who’s with me???

WORLD’S FINEST COMICS (1941-) #95 (released July 1958) https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/world-s-finest-comics-1941-95/52cd8b34-fa50-4333-bc58-c705aca02e6e/

This is SOOOO Batman once he gets a power set….Hmmm…these two heroes aren’t exactly celebrating New Year’s here or singing “Auld Lang Syne” in unison, are they?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear
For auld lang syne
We’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet
For days of auld lang syne

Please post your thoughts, reactions and favorite panels below as you again reflect on a bygone era of comic book greatness, our Silver and Bronze Age to enjoy together yet another year (hopefully a tad better than the last one, whew)!

2 Likes

Spoiler alert:

Grandson Superman is impish

1 Like

What an appropriate Action Comics. Just like all little girls are legally obligated to wear pigtails, old men are prevented from shaving and must sport a long beard.

2 Likes

So true! There’s at least one other old man Superman cover, but I’m not sure it’s been digitized.

2 Likes

Well hello there Superman Fan Club. :wave: :sunglasses:

A lot of interesting and funny things happened during this read through. :smile:

Action Comics #327 Summary

This was a fun read through seeing Grandpa Kal and Grandson Kal fighting those crooks. :muscle: :superman:

I also imagine from this last panel in the reading that Grandpa was getting ready to tell young Kal about even more stories from his past so they could go on another adventure like they did again. :smiley:

Also, yikes! Did not see Supergirl having a lost past as a criminal, and a third eye! :eyes: :sweat_smile:

Dimension Z is also an interesting development in this story. I wonder if Mxyzptlk from the 5th dimension might have crossed over there and spent some time there? :thinking:

DC Comics Presents #13 Summary

Well this was an eye catching caption to start this issue. :astonished:

From this I think the Nyrvnians probably have a good relationship with Mongul of War World.

Well this was also a surprise! Well maybe I should have known Pete would know about Clark’s secret since Smallville also had that apart of its earlier seasons in a storyline. :nerd_face:

Ouch Pete. :grimacing:

It was a tough decision for Superman to make and this fall out does seem familiar with the fall out that happened for a time between Clark and Pete on Smallville.

Superman #308 Summary

An interesting turn of events that Supergirl seeks to help Superman after The Protector zooms by them and hitting them with an electric jolt. :thinking:

The Wonder Woman cup cake break between the story was funny. :cupcake: :yum:

Supergirl is actually in on the ploy to make Superman think his story was different is a twist! :open_mouth:

Nice flying skills Superman! Definitely see a resolution coming soon. :superman_hv_3:

To end the story… Gasp! A cliffhanger… :scream:

And it seems that issue 309 has yet to be digitized so I’ll make a note to make a request to have it digitized to find out the conclusion, unless maybe we might see it once DCUI is up and running. :sunglasses: :+1:

World's Finest Comics #73 Summary

Having a rabbit’s foot introduced into a story always catches my attention since a lot of funny things can happen with or without it. :rabbit: :foot: :joy:

From this panel, I wonder if The Fang would have been a fan of the TV show Supernatural? :thinking:

There rabbit’s foot episode (called Bad Day At Black Rock from season 3) was hilarious. :rofl:

This is an interesting take on the battles Batman and Superman have had. As we will also see in our final book for this week. :joy: :batman_hv_1: :superman_hv_1:

This is a nice ending to the story though and funny to see Superman get one over on Batman. :superman_hv_4:

World's Finest Comics #95 Summary

It’s panels like these that I wonder where Wonder Woman is to calm down Superman and Batman. :superman: :batman: :wonderwoman:

A bet between two aliens to see whether or not Superman or Batman was greater is a funny idea. :superman_hv_4:

And… Looks like the feud wasn’t finished forever, but rather, it morphed into a fun frenemy feud later on in other stories. :batman_hv_2: :superman_hv_3:

1 Like

I guess I’ll go look up the price of Superman 309 on the web…(I’ll post the rest of this quest in the Superman Fan Club current private thread).

1 Like

This was a really nice group of comics to read. Enjoyed each one. My highlights:

Action 237: Old, Regular, and Toddler Supers. Now this issue I expected to enjoy in the Silver Age goofiness kind of way. But, I actually really liked the story. This wasn’t a running joke about old and young Superman but really a Grandpa/Grandson relationship and their adventure together was well done and made complete sense within their world.
And, this is where we get another nice Supergirl story that strangely mirrors the '70s Superman story in a major way. The hero is told they are not who they think they are, and the other Super is backing up the accusation. I’m interested in seeing both mysteries resolved.

DC Comics Presents: My favorite look for Dawnstar, much better than her recent redo. Another first rate story. Superman makes the incredible decision to leave little Pete Jr with aliens. No wonder Pete Ross is PO’ed. Looking forward to seeing where that goes.

Superman. More '70s goodness. Like much of the '70s stuff we’ve read, the individual story is pretty solid and elevated by the ongoing subplot.

WF: Silly fun.

2 Likes

Thanks for joining in the fun again and sharing your thoughts @msgtv .

I totally agree! This particular round had an unusual number of great thought-provoking and entertaining stories.

2 Likes

Anyone else have anything they want to throw around concerning the topic this time around for the Superman Fan Club New Year’s reading?