:jsa_book_club: Stories from JSA Classified :jsa_book_club:

Hello again members of the @JSABookClub and welcome back the JSABC’s first 2022 session. Hope you all enjoyed the holidays. This time around we will be tackling some stories from the ole JSA Classified featuring Hourman vs Bane in “The Venom Connection” and Doctor Mid-Nite vs Endless Winter in “Skin Trade”. And now for the Roll Call!

THE JSA BOOK CLUB ROLL CALL

Club Leaders

@JasonTodd428 & @Aurora

Standing Members

Abrax, AggressiveIntellectual219, Alec.Holland, anthony.javier3, Applejack, Azrael_Jean-PaulValley14, BBlake, bbzo24, bigblock66, Blueandred BlueBeetlesAssistant, BobbinIrving, Boswell99, Brenticus_Rex, CaptainYesterday, CassTheStreet, CrazyQuilt, Daffern, Darkstarz, dave7atgosky, dave_worrell, DC_Community, Deathstroke’sPunisher, december360, djganon, Doctor075, DocterFate1, Don-El, fawsid, frankie.lacy79, Flynn.P.Campbell, Frostbite30, ganaoque, harrist, HombreDeMaiz, hotstufflouie, Jay_Kay, Jflow, jlevin, Jurisdiction, kaliym73, lunalane, MatthewHecht, mbpbinder, _meegs, Meisaj, mgeiler, Midnitehour, MisfitCMJ, mitchellbpearson, MPMCN86, msgtv, Odbo255, PaintEater, parzival27, ProActress, QuadPen, ralphsix, Ravenrifft, ReaganFan78, Remember5NovEveyHammond, RexRebel, RickTylerHourman, rlynchfamily, ROMANLEGION rspezzano, rwm, Ryan22, scoop001, Sinestro1,slowp0Ketail, Smallengineerings, SuperBlue Grodd, TheCosmicMoth, TK52, Tommyskindlefire, TurokSonOfStone, YolandaMontezz, ZacharyLee1995.

JSA BOOK CLUB WELCOMES NEW MEMBERS

@bromepeter424.24110

Remember it’s easy to join the JSA BOOK CLUB. Just hit the link!

ISSUES FOR THIS SESSION

* JSA Classified #17-20

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. What did you think of our two stories this session?

2. Which one did you like better?

And that is all for this session. Next month we revisit JSA 1999 and take another turn with the All Star Squadron. Hope to see you there.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Stargirl-2020-stargirl-cw-43189861-540-240

Good to see you @MatthewHecht.

2 Likes

I am happy to be back I (and I divided my pictures into folders and sub folders making it easier to find them).

2 Likes

17/18- I do not like the eye art. The twists are way too predictable. All the talk about realism just brings to attention how unrealistic this is. This was pretty bad. Did Stargirl jus show up without the cosmic staff for some reason? At this point in the timeline that just feels weird, and that is it for interesting things I have to say about this storyline. Stuff like this are why I hardly get any comics from sources besides this site, many would be wastes of money.

19/20- Nice job reversing the usual gender roles in the opening. This one was pretty good. Very good mood and useage of Dr. Mid-Nite’s intelligence. Good horror story about being too concerned with resisting change.

2 Likes

I didn’t much care for the first story either although I did wonder if the story was intentionally made unrealistic. To go along with what you said I had a difficult time believing Bane from the get go and to be completely honest it kept throwing me out of the story. Bane has never struck me as the “helping” type.

It was nice to see both Hourmen though.

I liked “Skin Trade” better. It was a nice little horror story and Doc. Mid-Nite is a personal favorite.

2 Likes

They should not have shown the hour ticking down. That made his betrayal way too obvious.

1 Like

I agree. I could have done without that. The betrayal wasn’t even an interesting twist to the story since there was no question that Bane was planning it all along. I mean in a story like this you are expecting it but it works better if the reader has a reason to believe the villian could be telling the truth.

2 Likes

I preferred the hourman and Bane crossover so to speak, enjoyed how they both handled their addiction and it was nice to see Rex back in action.