Stargirl S1, E13 Reaction Thread - šŸšØ WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD šŸšØ

Were you expecting The Watchmen? This is Stargirl!

1 Like

There was no payoff with the pen. They teased it way too much in tbe early part of the season that it was almost a supporting player. First rule of writing 101: donā€™t tease unless you actully use that in the third act. I fully expected that to be the cliffhanger when Mike chased Buddy upstairs. Thought for sure he would find the pen and activate the T-bolt.

Are they setting up a Shade/Eclipso showdown for next season? Kind of looks that way.

2 Likes

You have some valid points. Kind of like with the Christmas present Courtney got yet never opened {right?}. Also no Green Lantern either, since they found the Lantern. Iā€™m sure season 2 is gonna have these things fulfilled. But I couldnā€™t get over the fact that Starman is alive! Or maybe heā€™s not who he appears to be :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was expecting the pen they teased but I guess they just scrapped the idea.

I hope we get Season 2 right here on the DC APP!!! I took a chance on this series, and Iā€™m glad I did. Was much better than what I was expecting. So many thoughts and directions on how Season 2 can go. Think maybe we will get a new Green Lantern? Whatā€™s the deal with the pen? Which villains are really ā€œgoneā€? Starman is back, or is this leading to something else?

BTW that intro tune for Stargirl is amazing!

1 Like

A part of me really wanted Mike to find that pink pen Courtney put in her room, thatā€™s suppose to be the most dangerous weapon the JSA had.

1 Like

Keep in mind, they needed to set up a few things in the opening season one to call back to in season two. Had this been a full 20 episode series the pen would have been addressed in the 2nd season.

The Shade will be interesting to see. I think either he will be the amoral person who Courtney shows the light too to start to put him in the path to heroism.

But Eclipsoā€¦there is one I didnā€™t see. That is going to be interesting to see how that is worked out.

Yolanda is really going to feel guilty next season. The anger that is eating her is bottled far deeper than Hourmans. His expressing anger allowed him to see Grundy as a victim. (Mind controlled by Brainwave?) Yolanda might believe in God, but is there a greater sin than killing your own child?

1 Like

Great finally!!! Only thing the bad guys all died or are in jail? I know the gambler, lady shiva, and Solomon grundy escape

I donā€™t even bother with the CW version. Why watch it with commercials and edited for t.v?

2 Likes

I think stargirl should partner up with HBO Max since it deserves it

1 Like

The one thing I hated about this episode was that song at the end. Hanson really? Now that terrible song is stuck in my head.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because Geoff Johns sister liked that song and she passed away

5 Likes

Itā€™s already been renewed.

I loved this series so much! They wrapped almost everything up nice a neatly while leaving some strategic plot threads hanging for season 2!

The action scenes were fantastic and having Shiv kill her dad was a very good move in my opinion because it not only showed her anger and desire for revenge buy it gave a natural way for Shining Knight to move on and begin to find a new purpose.

The twist with Henry and Yolanda was an amazing idea and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I would love to see the repercussions of it on season 2. I think we began to see them in the end of the episode but I really want to see them further explored next season.

Jordan was a fantastic villain and one of the best parts about him was that the audience had a hard time convincing themselves he was wrong. Obviously killing 25 million people isnā€™t right but by posing the question as ā€œkill 25 million now and cure cancer foreverā€ it makes you stop and think.
Itā€™s said that villains are heroes in their own story and Stargirl did an excellent job of showing this.

I am very curious to see how Courtney interacts with Sylvester when he comes to Blue Valley. Will he try and take back the staff? Is he even the real Starman?

Iā€™m also curious as to what happened to Jordan and the rest of the ISA. Were they killed or just put out of commission and in jail?

For season 2 I also really want to know what happened to Cameron. I feel that the one thing the show couldā€™ve improved upon was adding in a line here and there explaining why he was gone. Iā€™m glad they didnā€™t make the entire show about Courtney and Cams teenage romance but I do feel like he shouldā€™ve shown up once or twice more and asked Courtney why she was avoiding him just so that he kept relevancy in the plot.

Also, teasing the pen and not using it in the end isnā€™t necessarily bad writing. Many books or series will tease something in an early writing and then have it pop up again in a later work (ie. Tom Riddles ring in Harry Potter). I understand that it can be frustrating to not see the payoff immediately but we just have to be patient and see how they with it into the story in a way that is both natural and interesting.

Overall it was a fantastic show that made me cry, laugh, and scream many times. Iā€™m so excited for season 2!

1 Like

I think it was slightly different because they supposedly arenā€™t alive? For example, Superman has no problem killing parademons because they are mindless slaves to Darkseid. Same principle here perhaps

2 Likes

Starman isnā€™t technically alive yetā€¦weā€™ll have to wait till S2 to see. We saw Henry and it was just a trick of Brainwaves. Maybe that was Starmans twin like the comics?

I also think that season 2s or 3s (etc.) Are all continuations of the first season. What marks the good shows from the meh shows is how they build and improve upon season one to create something better.
They also probably knew it was renewed for season 2 when they put in the plot threads. It helps keep fans interested in the next season.

1 Like

I feel like starman is a clone or something since he was stabbed and looked like he died

On the one hand, Iā€™m excited to see the conclusion. On the other hand, I hate to see it endā€¦

OK Iā€™m going to go watch it now.

My literal only gripe about this episode:

Solomon Grundy looks I credible design-wise, but would it have killed them to actually take some time and figure out how to shade him? Or, ya know, have his interactions with the environment around him feel as though they had impact and actual weight? It literally seemed like his render was just floating around, and they were like, ā€œOh, just add some thunderous footstep sounds and it will be fine.ā€

Idk, I was so excited for his reveal, and then he just kind of looked like a mid-range CGI effect. Especially when fighting S.T.R.I.P.E, which was very confusing, as the render on the robot I actually enjoy. I felt as though I was watching 2010 v. 2020 CGI.

Other than that, they did an amazing job with the threads in this story, and I kind of believe Yolanda may actually end up switching to the ISA due to her seeming unwillingness to deal with her grief.

1 Like

Great episode. Definitely not without itā€™s issues. I mean itā€™s a good thing Brainwave made sure to have all the adults put their cars in park before their reeducation began. Plus, if Chuck could access the blockers in the tunnels and turn them on remotely why not analyze the signal from there and then try to replicate it. After all they were going to try to replicate the blocking signal from the ear piecesā€¦ The Henry lie was waaaay to obvious. Remember the reason Brainwaveā€™s powers grew to the point he could cover so much of the US was because Henry died. There was absolutely no way that was Henry. Also, if Brainwave could just have the machine loop the signal why even bother to spend 30 minutes in the machine. Just give the machine a sample and let it do itā€™s job. That would free him up which would have made the final battle much different. Plus why spend time asking Yolanda where the JSA is? He can simply detect them. Thereā€™s explanations for all of that but theyā€™re those explanations you have to reach for and, man, I hate those.

Regardless, what fun it was. I really expected one of the bow tie wearing men in the beginning to be Johnny Thunder especially after the first one was revealed to be a teacher and up pops another one in a bit of a weird way. The Gambler distraction was awesome. The Grundy fight was good. Icicleā€™s unraveling was great (although Iā€™m still not clear on the planā€¦ I feel like if those were his goals why not just meet with the JSA and see if there was a way to work on it together. I mean his goals were worthy soā€¦ I kept waiting for something more sinister to be a part of it but it never came up). Mikeā€™s pop up at the end was great.

Overall just a great fun episode. Then we get to the end. The Shade!!! Finally!!! Eclipso!!! Did not see that coming at all. I really expected Mikeā€™s voice to come out of S.T.R.I.P.E. at the end. I mean I know the point was to let us know that Pat rebuilt S.T.R.I.P.E. but we had so many father/daughter moments between Courtney and Pat I would have like to have see a bother/sister moment along with the reveal that Pat has turn S.T.R.I.P.E. over to Mike. Then thereā€™s Starmanā€¦ How is he here? I really think thereā€™s some time traveling shenanigans that havenā€™t been explained. After all, the seven were separated apparently through time due to Patā€™s not aging between the 40ā€™s and today. Iā€™m thinking maybe this is a time displaced version of Starman butā€¦ at the same timeā€¦ Holy Paradox, Starman. Iā€™m really hoping we get some more explanation as to Patā€™s background in relation to the Seven and Ito.

I am really apprehensive about the CW taking over this show. I wish DC Universe could keep Stargirl here and have their own Stargirl verse to play with. On the CW itā€™s going to get lumped in with the Arrowverse. There will be crossovers and high episode counts and Iā€™m really worried about the quality going forward. I really wished they kept it here. Have a Seven spin off miniseries. Imagine a four episode season of two time periods. One where Justin is hunting down the seven and the other where we see the seven battling Ito giving us an explanation of for the separation.

1 Like