StarGirl....It's So...CW

This was cathartic to read on many levels…

1 Like

Sometimes thing just need to be said, and I’ve got a big enough mouth to say them.

And as for the “teen drama” criticism of Stargirl. She’s a teenager in high school. Teen dramarama comes with the territory.
Would one be surprised with a Batman series to have a connection to Gotham City?

5 Likes

There is quite a difference between ‘fans’ who just find anything to rag on and tear to pieces and trash. I’m not doing this. I have quite a love for Stargirl, which frustrates me that it’s taken the tone and quality (to me…) that it has. Especially compared to what I can see could be produced by DC. Just because something is critisized does not mean it’s ‘garbage spewed’. You can think critically of something without being all toxic and negative about it.

1 Like

There’s teen drama that can be written and done right. Not this cliche, predictable, caricatures of the most stereotypical cardboard cutouts of what a midwest high school would be. Literally all of these characters have zero depth or nuiance. Again, this works for some people, but this is definitely a far more shallow of a show. And that’s not a bad thing…not everything has to be deep or with something you need to really chew on but it’s just disappointing

I owe you an apology @Horizon_Brave. My agreement with @DeSade-acolyte’s comment may have looked like it was directed against you, but it wasn’t.

To clarify, the reason I found his statement cathartic: As much as I enjoy being on DCU and following the news/fan sites, along with all the opinions and reviews that come with that, there’s a side effect. A little bit of the joy of just simply reading a comic or watching a show/movie is taken away. Everybody, myself included, is an armchair critic. I’m as guilty of this as anyone else, so I’m not trying to say people’s opinions don’t matter. It’s just, there’s a certain fatigue to this type of fandom that we do.

Hopefully that clarifies where I’m coming from. Again, please accept my apologies.

I really enjoy Stargirl. I think it does what Doom patrol and Swamp Thing do so well and thats accomplishing the spirit of the comic book. While it feels different than the two previously mentioned and it certainly skews younger in tone I think it fits the character perfectly. In fairness I would say CW’s target demographic is teenagers so the comparison is reasonable. For me it feels like the best of teen movies alongside the likes of 10 Things I Hate About you and Booksmart.

3 Likes

It’s far deeper than than Swamp Thing was. If you want to talk about cardboard cutouts of characters, Cliff and Crazy Jane fro DP are way more 2d than Stargirl.

I often think the idea of characters being “cardboard cut outs” is merely that some folks don’t pick up subtly in characters, especially in comics based shows.

I concur that one can be critical about something. I just don’t see a valid, critical argument being made. It’s your opinion and that’s great, you are more than welcome to it. However, I don’t find the supporting evidence within your critique. That is my opinion.

2 Likes

I just want to say I agree with you. Thank you for posting so I didn’t have to take all the flack you’re getting :joy:
I really liked the first couple episodes focused on Courtney and Pat, but then they introduced wildcat and it just kinda started going downhill for me. The costumes aren’t great and the characters/actors just don’t do it for me either. Then the episode with sportsmaster really let me down with the action scenes. They’re pretty bad. Soo at this point, I don’t really feel invested in the show and I’m just walking away from it.
But that’s all ok. It’s not for me, it’s not for you. I’m glad people enjoy it and I’m honestly kind of bummed that I don’t

No worries, and no apology needed. So I’m a Star Wars fan, and I"ll tell you the amount of negativity, whining and fan knee jerk reaction to just pan anything new is very very grating. So I get ya. Being a fan of something, just to see others blinding bash it is demoralizing. Which is something I never want to do. I adopt the policy of “Don’t yuck on someone else’s yum.” That being said I still have actual problems with the show but yea it’s good there’s two view points here :slight_smile:

1 Like

haha, well It’s expected Flak, if I were on a more neutral forum, I think it’d be less defensive. But it’s fine, I actually enjoy seeing and reading the more invested and devout fans see what they enjoy about it… Yea I don’t think I can really continue with it much longer, (I probably will stick it out for the full season) but the fact that it does have a following means tangentally DC will (hopefully) continue with the content.

3 Likes

I like that it fits with the CW shows even if there are allegedly separate universes. And I like the lack of f-bombs. Not because of some aversion because cussing well placed will always please me.

Titans had a few too many. but in contrast, I expect Doom Patrol Clff to be f-bomb city.

3 Likes

It definitely has a more Family vibe than the other live action original content. That being said I am really enjoying it.

2 Likes

I wasn’t a typical teen and didn’t participate in teen drama. I was very much a little grownup by requirement. I also dislike the high school dramatic business because I can’t relate.

These shows need to exist for the audience that fits what @moro is looking for, but I’m not that audience. I don’t have young kids or (typical) teens watching shows with me.

It’s very CW. I agree.

…but isn’t it supposed to be?

Point is… this is Stargirl. It was never going to carry a TV-MA rating.

2 Likes

I think the vibe of the show very much mirrors the vibe of the original comic series, so it’s really what I expected. I’m not into the Arrowverse, so I can’t say I’m “defensive” when it comes to DC shows, however I think the quality of Stargirl is much higher than the rest of the CW. I can see how the high school vibe may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I like the John Hughes-lite element sprinkled into it.

We don’t have kids or teens, either, and I really like the show. My wife, who isn’t into comics, loves it.

1 Like

It is definitely meant to be and trying to be a teen show. It’s about a teenage girl and other teenagers fighting adult villains. Each character so far is addressing an issue that teenagers could relate to. Loneliness, parental abuse, sexting, etc. The show actually went deeper than what I expected, but still fits our slot for family-friendly. People had complained that we only had mature shows.

3 Likes

I’m homeschooled and I’ll never fit in with that crowd. I’ve never had to go through any kind of high school drama growing up. It was a great time. But I do enjoy watching the show. Doesn’t mean I need to relate to it. I have fun just watching it. I don’t need kids or a family to enjoy.

Mature content doesn’t have to be all that an adult watches when their alone. I prefer lighthearted, more down to earth shows. Titans doesn’t really fit that profile. I enjoy watching it. But it’s not the kind of wholesome fun I like.

I think it matters more if you like that kind of stuff, more so than if you can relate to it.

2 Likes

The part I dislike is adults acting differently than they would. It feels toned down. I don’t know a single adult, not one, that doesn’t drop some profanity occasionally. I think I personally struggle with live action being this way. Animation doesn’t get to me though.

Example: Mask of the Phantasm. No profanity or gratuitous violence. I’m good with it.

Example: Legends of Tomorrow. Real humans. Real situations. Unreal interactions. Bugs me.

I guess, in my experience, real life is never less than PG-13. In my family (not healthy) it was a constant hard R. I suppose I expect the same in shows with real people. For me.

It’s fine. I understand it. It just doesn’t work for me as a viewer. I can’t suspend my disbelief when real actors become involved. I can’t explain why beyond that.

I enjoy teen escapism, but nothing toned down more than say, Shazam. That’s an example of relatable teens for me. CW is too saccharine.

1 Like

Well for me the exact opposite is true. My father never swore unless seriously provoked beforehand, and even then he would feel horrible about it afterward. Swearing has always been treated as taboo by most people I know. I think the most swearing I heard while growing up, was probably Han Solo occasionally saying something in Star Wars.

2 Likes

So I’m more used to parents and adults who don’t really swear. But I think, and it’s not necessarily a good thing, I‘m more used to hearing it as an adult since getting a job.
So I do kind of find it refreshing to watch shows that don’t use swear words. Because it reminds me of a more wholesome time in my life.

3 Likes