🚨SPOILER🚨 Lets talk about Hush

I just finished watching Hush and while it’s not a perfect movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Although I haven’t read the books in their entirety, I knew the story.
I was surprised that DC went a different route with the story and was a little disappointed with how it turned out.
I understand that even though the comics added more depth to this story, the animated version can only tell so much without it becoming too long of a watch.

Glad that I decided not to buy the bluray for this movie and watched on DC Universe instead, what a let down. Was hoping this movie would be a step up from the mixed bag New 52 movies since it was based on one of the most popular Batman comic, but the twist at the end ruined my enjoyment, even though the writing as a whole wasn’t that exceptional just like any New 52 movie. Making Riddler Hush was an awful choice that seriously made me question the existence of this movie, like what was the point of doing that? There were already many red herring in the movie that made me, as someone who didn’t read the comic, suspect that Tommy might be Hush, yet he just remained…dead? What gives? They had a chance to make Hush a great character in the animated movie and yet decided to misdirect the audience and came up with a rather lame twist that I couldn’t give a damn about.
DC movies used to have very tight screenplay and great stories, but now it’s dime in a dozen to get an actual “great” DC movie, Batman vs TMNT was easily the best DC movie I have seen recently because It was a whole lot better than most of the New 52 movies in every aspect. Hopefully Wonder Woman Bloodlines will be good, given how the new art style already looks so much more interesting and expressive than Phil Bourassa’s current art style.

3 Likes

I feel like Riddler kind of got the short end of the stick. Only Assault on Arkham (in terms of animated movies, and in terms of live-action it is my solemn belief we should never speak of Jim Carrey’s Riddler) has shown really any interest in him and when he’s finally the main villain it’s as a dumb twist at the end of a movie where no one cared about him, and we throw him in a vat of fire because he’s an idiot. It wastes his potential, wastes Hush’s potential, and they cut out my favorite scene of the comic which is Clayface pretending to be Jason Todd (I was so excited this would be an opportunity to bring him up and maybe we could get Red Hood in this universe).

2 Likes

I really enjoyed Hush. I think if you’re going into it expecting it to be a direct adaptation, you’re going to be disappointed. But if you go in knowing this is part of their animated continuity of films and it’s taking elements of the comic a la The Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen, you’ll enjoy it more. Personally, I liked this reveal of Hush better.

I’m also someone who doesn’t consider the comic to be the sacred cow everyone else does, so I had a different context with this than most.

3 Likes

@takara I agree that TMNT v Batman was a very pleasant surprise in just how good it was. I hope they add it to this service so more ppl can enjoy it.

I agree that comics should not always be treated as the sacred cow but maybe it’s just that this is such an important story to me, I actually thought reign of the supermen was a good update on a classic story

1 Like

@ThelastGL, totally understand where you’re coming from on it being an important story to you. No harm intended.

To be honest, Hush has one of the weaker “origins” on why he hates Bruce. He hates him because of money he couldn’t receive when he was young by failing to kill his parents. It wasn’t even Bruce fault. They were both young.

I feel like this humanizes Bruce/Batman more with their changes of the movie and not making him Hush. Ending made more sense. Selina can’t be with Bruce because he can’t change of breaking his code instead of not trusting Selina (if I remember correctly from the comics).

2 Likes

@E-Dot, agreed. In the comics, Hush’s motivation didn’t do it for me. It also didn’t help he wasn’t really the mastermind behind the scenes…Riddler was. I think Hush got better in later appearances in the comics.

2 Likes

It is a pretty fantastic film, especially in the world of the DCAMU cannon, but the Hush reveal felt lackluster here. And for me it really wasn’t as satisfying an ending. I realize you have to change things to fit the continuity you are in, but SPOILERS killing off the Riddler which immediately ends CatBat… left me pretty meh.
We missed some iconic reveals and twists from the comic that I feel would still have worked in this continuity to a degree, but it is what it is. Like I said, still a pretty fantastic film. Action setpieces were top-notch and the voice cast was stellar, just that ending…

1 Like

When it comes to these longer story arcs, I wish they could make 8-episode mini-series or something instead. Hush is a lot of story to fit into 80 minutes. I guess it wouldn’t be as feasible cost-wise, though. Anyway, I didn’t think it was bad, but as a fan of the original, it missed some of my favorite elements (the Tommy backstory, Jason, Tim’s questioning of Selina’s trustworthiness— I love Selina, but it makes sense some members of the team would hesitate). I guess that’s the price of making all the movies streamline into one universe of storytelling, though. Overall, I’d watch again and rec it to others; I’d just warn fans of the original to not go in expecting what they got in the book. … Oh! And I wish we’d get one DCAU movie that doesn’t have Nightwing getting his butt kicked. Granted, I’m biased. :smirk:

1 Like

Honestly I prefer the reveal here. The comic one was kind of obvious, the new character of course would be the villain. Plus they really did a good job of showing how smart the riddler is, especially as he was talking to selina while Bruce was coming. I don’t see how we’re supposed to be attached to hush, since that’s kind of the point. He wasn’t a face till we found out he was the riddler. My only problem would be a lack of psychological warfare with hush and batman, but other than that it did a fantastic job of adapting the story to its continuity.

4 Likes

@samuel.gustafson21.2337, I totally agree.

1 Like

@CynicalPink I completely agree. The original did a very good job with those little moments. The core of this story was relationships. Batman to his enemies and to his allies. I don’t understand why they had to have this in this universe. Batman punching the Joker nearly to death had two driving forces - What he did to Barbara and Jason. Both were absent. Why set a movie in a universe that handicaps you by not allowing to use elements key to the story. And Riddler is not a problem to me. I don;t know why everyone is forgetting that he was also the mastermind in the original comic. He worked with Tommy. However, the animated movie, without Tim, Tommy, Jason and inadequate exploration of Batman’s relationship with Dick and Superman was a massive disappointment. They also completely overlooked the doubt Bruce had about Selina being a part of this when she utters the word “Hush”. Very disappointing

1 Like

Hot garbage of a comic book accurate film, other than it made me chuckle a few times.

The worst scene for me is Catwoman/Nightwing graveyard scene.
They turn Nightwing into bumbling, stumbling, idiot who gets easily surprised and dominated by the villain. Almost as if they wanted to make Catwoman take center stage and to be the bad ass in this scenario. And which they could have easily done without making another character look weaker than they are supposed to be. The only thing worse than being that creatively stupid is being that stupid and having NO IMAGINATION at how to accomplish their goal while keeping the integrity of their characters intact. Or maybe they are not stupid at all, and they just simply and secretly hate the character. Or even worse…maybe their WOKE.
This Hush animated movie is no where in the same ball park as “Under the Red Hood”…or even “Batman Bad Blood”. Although the Batman vs Nightwing fight at the end of “Batman Bad Blood” is Bull Crap…even if it is Batman. These idiots are able to make Damian take on Deathstroke & even Batman in prior movies, but when it’s Nightwing…oh that’s different. In “Batman Bad Blood”, Nightwing gets in one good blow that makes Batman pause, wipe his chin, and then proceed to own Nightwing with 7 consecutive moves ending with Batman dislocating NW’s shoulder. That is ridiculous. Firstly, NW should not need his escrima sticks to be able to go toe to toe with Bruce. And it’s not a question of Bruce coming out on top, it’s just the Bull Crap/Batman Fanboy way that it was done.

My advice to these idiots for keeping the integrity of BM & NW while fighting is to have NW as one of the few Non super powered humans who can keep up with Bruce in a fight. But even so, there needs to be a slight flashes of NW being in over his head. One day DG will be able to surpass Bruce in a fight. And if there smart, they will show that progression over time, and yet still leave it ambiguous as to whether NW is one day simply better than Bruce ever was, or if it was just simply age that allowed NW to surpass Bruce. *And if they write DG true to his character, he would be the LAST PERSON ON EARTH TO WANT TO ADMIT to ever being better (whether he is or whether because Bruce got old) than his mentor. But knowing some of these story writers, they are either too much of a BM Fanboy to make the story realistic (as much as a comic book story can be) or they simply don’t know how to add story layers to their characters. Bottom line for me, is I don’t expect story telling perfection. Even great story tellers have missteps. But what’s worse here, is that I have gotten the impression that some of these writers deep down aren’t fans of certain characters and they secretly take digs at these characters that they either don’t like. or they are apathetic to. Almost as if they think that by making these characters look inferior that The Powers That Be would allow them to focus more on the characters they prefer. And if DC wants far less comic book sales, and far less DC Universe subscribers than they are potentially capable of getting, then by all means DC should proceed on this course…because if less sales is their goal, then they are heading in the right direction.

*On a quick side note: A sample of what I’m talking about with DG NOT wanting to admit that he can possibly ever be better than Bruce is perfectly displayed in the beginning scenes of the live movie version of “Speed Racer”. While the movie as whole was crap, there were early scenes with a young Speed Racer idolizing and watching his big brother race that were near perfection as far as emotional character development goes. The most powerful moment of these scenes was when Speed (knowing that the only person he’s truly racing is the Ghost of his Brother Rex) is about to break his Brother’s Track Record. At that moment we realize the deep connection that Speed has to his older brother Rex, and it’s bloody brilliant. Now replace Speed for DG, Rex for Bruce, the racing for combatant fighting and you have a perfect metaphor for the skills and the emotional depths of the Bruce Wayne/Dick Grayson relationship. They didn’t make Speed significantly inferior just because they were fan boys of Rex…or vice versa for that matter. Both characters were respected and kept intact with regards to the original source material.

Lastly, Apologies for going off tangent from the topic of Hush (though it does significanytly tie in to what I am talking about with the HUSH Catwoman/Nightwing scene), and for posting this in multiple HUSH threads, but I want these DC morons to take note, and to at least try to keep the integrity decent for all of these characters whether it’s NW or any other character.

1 Like

Dick Grayson would certainly beat Bruce Wayne in a somersault contest. Not so sure about an actual fight…