🚨SPOILER ALERT🚨 Young Justice: Outsiders Ep. 18 Discussion Thread

I think Eduardo is a mole–he planned the carnival that was hit and made the kids easy targets and now is joining the team to betray them.

I thought the new kids were more a play on the X-Men with

Colossus clone - Colossus
Claw girl - Wolverine/X23
Reptile Kid - Nightcrawler
One glowing red eye kid - Cyclops
Two red eyes kid (Luiz) - Gambit

The analogy sort of breaks down for the two remaining girls though.

I hope this Outsiders portion goes somewhere, because as it stands, whenever Gar and his team on, I mentally check out. The idea is fine–a portion of the team the public and can see and get behind–but the execution is terrible. From the scene where they talk to Aqualad where they had to hang a lantern on every box each member ticks, to the gringey social media dialogue, it doesn’t seem as strong as it could be.

Beast Boy’s character changed, and that’s not a bad thing. I love that the character grew up, so to speak. But sometimes it seems like he formed The Outsiders to get back at Granny and uses social media and people’s perceptions to do that rather than genuinely wanting to have a public team who helps. To be fair, this could just be me thinking this, so take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

7 Likes

I miss Dick Grayson, to say the least. But I also love Violet. I wish the writers would focus on Violet and Brion and the other new characters we have come to care about, instead of even more new characters. All in all, this episode was very entertaining, but I honestly can’t wait to get back into the machinations of the Light and Apokolips. I am also curious to see how the teams react when they find out about the Darkness (or the hero’s version of the Light, not a very good name frankly), I have a feeling this will be a huge emotional catalyst for many characters. Also, I still do not trust Dr. Jace.

1 Like

I think Ed looked kind of jealous when Bart hugged Virgil. Plus, It seemed like he isn’t just focusing on the team for Wendy. I mean Wendy looks young for him and more Terra’s age.

Is anyone else let down by this season? I’m not a fan of the social media angel or all these new characters. I would like to see static’s role increase. I’m really hoping it gets interesting soon. Right now I’m just watching due to the first two seasons being epic!

I’m a little let down by the episodes since it came back a few weeks ago. Once Beast Boy created his team, everything feels off. Maybe it’s all the social media stuff (for some reason it feels disingenuous) or maybe it’s because it doesn’t feel like there’s any real stakes. In the first season we had The Light and last season we had The Reach; both were formidable villains and we felt their presence even when the episode didn’t feature them. What do we have this season? I guess you could say Granny Goodness but she hasn’t appeared all that much. Maybe they’re saving up for a big reveal in the final episodes, but as it stands…I’m not loving it. The first half of this seas was good but now it seems like we’ve left that behind for Beast Boy’s Outsiders group.

Yeah, in the first two seasons, the villains had actually started doing something by this point. So far, they kind of have some schemes ongoing, but aren’t actually making any progress anywhere. I mean, this is Apokolips we’re talking about, and yet they’re operating entirely through proxies and are, on the whole, less efficient than the Reach or even the Light acting alone. Now, the first couple seasons had the issue where everything everyone did ever somehow played into the Light’s hands, but in the long run that created better payoff at the end. Here, even if the last few episodes are amazing, it’ll be in spite of what we’ve had so far, not because of it.