SPECIAL EDITION OFFICE HOURS! Thursday, 9/12 @4:30pm PST/7:30pm EST

What are some of the best selling items in the DCU Shop, and what can we expect from it in the future?

2 Likes

@Halo

What’s the coolest trait of a purple aura? What about orange?

2 Likes

@merpbert

Ah!

1 Like

Oh my gosh @HubCityQuestion, really living up to your name :joy:

Hiya @Sleepypika!! If we don’t have time to get to your question, know that what made our intern so amazing cannot be easily defined.

4 Likes

@SiegeHey

Are you planning to watch the new Joker movie? What about IT?

1 Like

Don’t worry AJ, I’m cutting myself off at 5. :wink:

1 Like

@DCU_Joe

If you could interview one superhero character, who would it be?

1 Like

All right friends and neighbors, here we go!

We order questions in the order they are received, which means questions asked earliest (last week) will be answered first. If we run out of time (by 5:30pm) I will gather up the remaining answers and post them here over the next few days :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And awaaay we go!

4 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte asks:
@rob: “How are you load balancing the streaming? Do you have your own DC (data centers) or do you outsource to somebody like AWS. If so are you using SW VMs or HW VMs. Given the potential peaks and valleys of data streaming bandwidth, are you using a bandwidth on demand type service or are just oversubscribing bandwidth to handle the peak loads and accepting it will be underutilized some of the time? From a development side, do you have a threading model you prefer? I’m guessing that threads are usually applied to a specific user instance, so race conditions are reduced? Do you have a preference or requirement for development language(s)? Is your development workstation platform unix or windows based? (I know…a lot of questions, but 30+ years as a Unix geek warps the brain. ; )”

WOO! Diving right in with the heavy stuff Alright, DeSade-acolyte - let’s geek! :slight_smile: For streaming, we look to the cloud! Those partners grant us the greatest flexibility, ensure we stay balanced, and let us scale to accommodate spikes on demand (looking your way, Tita ns episodes!)

Development-wise, it’s a mixed bag. Most workstations are Macs or Linux, but software can vary from Python to Javascript to Swift. I can assure you, our offices are littered with every type of adapter possible :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@HubCityQuestion asks:
@merpbert Okay, you GOTTA tell me about the office Halloween costumes last year.

Last year’s Halloween costumes were nothing short of brilliant. Frankly, it did take a lot of coordination to make sure that people were on-board to take part in a Halloween costume. Easily my favorite was one of our coworkers who dressed up as The Condiment King (because we were all Batman villains). This coworker not only put together the outfit wonderfully, partially with duct tape, but had working condiments on his person. At one point the coworker was asked by a colleague if they were functioning condiment cartridges, extended his hand, and the coworker squirted ketchup and mustard on their hand. All in all, a great bookend to the DC Halloween celebration.

But seriously, for a group that were just expanding at the time (we’re double in size now), it was great to see us all hunker down and and give it our all.

Does that answer your question? I don’t know. Halloween! Wee!

8 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950 asks:

@Rob: “I read in the forum how the various platforms has different functionalities. It seems some platforms can’t see links as links. And Browser can do things not available in the app. Many of the platforms are UNIX based. XBOX is not. Is there an attempt to have one main version which has some stubs which are changed for each platform, which you copy and then remove or add functionality? Or are there versions for each platform? What software development tools does your team use?”

Oh, hello there, TSOS’50! Good ask. Our goal is to always maximize the user experience – that means welcoming the challenge of how that experience can vary per platform. And, good gravy, are there variances!! Different screen sizes, full range of device capabilities, multiple environments where folks watch or read, etc. Having the same features everywhere is noble, but we’ve found it’s more important we deliver a great experience for the audience on their device – even if that means some variance in our code. It’s worth a few extra files and QA pas ses to ensure everyone can watch, read, and engage the way they wanna!

(btw, software-wise, like I was tellin DS-A up above, it’s a mixed bag!)

2 Likes

DeSade-acolyte asks:
@SiegeHey - As for the collections lead, are you considering being video comics collections as well?
All the episodes across multiple series where Zatanna or Green Arrow is a main character, for example.”

Hey DeSade-acolyte, if I understand correctly, you are asking if we are planning to create collections that are full of video episodes and movies of a specific character. To that I will say, kind of…
The Get To Know! Collections have many of the episodes and movies that a particular character shows up in. That’s about as close as we are going to get. I will continue to make Get to Know! Collections and if you have a particular character you want spotlighted, let me know. I’ll see what I can do!

2 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte I love those “Who’s Who” series! But we wanted to start fresh, include all that has happened since, and offer the proper proportion of old to new information.

2 Likes

FYI, @DeSade-acolyte asked… Since the original “Who’s Who and What’s What” is in the service, any chance of including those characters and there encyclopedic information in their entries? Seems a good way to flesh out ang grow the library quickly.

3 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte has a second question…

2 Likes

Also, for the next Meta Madhouse, can you make sure all the characters in the brackets are in the encyclopedia before it begins? (Hoppy The Marvel Bunny got hosed last year. It was very difficult to find info on him prior to his bracket matchups.)

4 Likes

My answer…

1 Like

@BooBooKitty

Hello! If you had to choose Archie or Jughead to be your partner in crime, who would you pick and why?

2 Likes

Absolutely! Hoppy took his time making his way down the bunny trail, but are other characters will be on time ; )

3 Likes